Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM

406 posts, read 500,939 times

Advertisements

I have to see this....

It's like they made a TV show out of the Urban Planning forum hahahahaha

The New Reality Show Urban Suburban Makes Homeowners Choose Sides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
I think it's been around for a couple years though.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
We should all try to get on the show. At the same time. LOL

Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
The show is set in the Vancouver area? I prefer urban living, but those Soviet style
high-rise apartment blocks the area is known for is not my cup of tea.

Towers in the Park? Ick.

Vancouver Apartments for Rent Video - 1450 West Georgia St - YouTube

Last edited by cisco kid; 11-04-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I think it's been around for a couple years though.
I believe so, though they're now brining it to the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL that would be mayhem, an epic debate of meaningless proportions. And the best part is, the whole point of the show is that theres different places for everyone, something many on here haven't a clue about lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The show is set in the Vancouver area? I prefer urban living, but those Soviet style
high-rise apartment blocks the area is known for is not my cup of tea.

Towers in the Park? Ick.

Vancouver Apartments for Rent Video - 1450 West Georgia St - YouTube
I guess so? What's "ick" to you is a wonderful home to someone else, and I say that as someone who doesn't care for the types of buildings in that video. What kind of place would you pick in Vancouver if you were on that show (use Streetview)? Personally for me it'd be a block like this.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
I believe so, though they're now brining it to the states.

LOL that would be mayhem, an epic debate of meaningless proportions. And the best part is, the whole point of the show is that theres different places for everyone, something many on here haven't a clue about lol.

I guess so? What's "ick" to you is a wonderful home to someone else, and I say that as someone who doesn't care for the types of buildings in that video. What kind of place would you pick in Vancouver if you were on that show (use Streetview)? Personally for me it'd be a block like this.
That neighbourhood isn't as expensive as Shaughnessy (the most expensive neighbourhood) but still $1.5mil for a bungalow and up to $3-4 mil for the larger homes.
For homes in the more reasonable $0.8-1.5mil range you could try the SE part of the city. The Commercial Drive/Trout Lake area where they were going to look for the "urban" home has a decent amount of <$1m homes (mostly bungalows) too.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post

I don't like either of the choices shown in the trailer. Apartment tower versus a big isolated 'cabin in the woods' on Bowen Island. The former reminds me too much of housing projects. Too ghetto for me. And the big houses on the very sparsely populated Bowen Island appear to be very isolated from each other. The latter might be suited for the survivalist loner type who likes living by themself with no one else for miles around, but that's not me. I would go stir crazy. And the hour long commute (30 minute by ferry plus 30 by car) into the city every morning doesn't sound too appealing either, plus another hour to get back. If I had to choose I would probably go with the one in your streetview link.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 PM

Speaking of ghetto neighborhoods, here's a streetview of the infamous 320 Dixon Road in Toronto where our very own mayor Rob Ford was caught on camera smoking crack cocaine and apparently hanging out with known drug dealers and gang members. The Toronto Police announced last week they are in possession of the video, so its not just a sensational rumor anymore. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

http://goo.gl/maps/lRi77

Note the classic public housing style towers in the park format, in a neighborhood known for its gang and drug activity.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I don't like either of the choices shown in the trailer. Apartment tower versus a big isolated 'cabin in the woods' on Bowen Island. The former reminds me too much of housing projects. Too ghetto for me. And the big houses on the very sparsely populated Bowen Island appear to be very isolated from each other. The latter might be suited for the survivalist loner type who likes living by themself with no one else for miles around, but that's not me. I would go stir crazy. And the hour long commute (30 minute by ferry plus 30 by car) into the city every morning doesn't sound too appealing either, plus another hour to get back. If I had to choose I would probably go with the one in your streetview link.
LOL You mean....a single family house...with big driveways, large backyards, no sidewalks, partial grid neighborhood and surrounded by/down the block from THE GREATEST MIS-ALLOCATION OF LAND EVER BY MANKIND #ObviousHyperbole GOLF COURSES?! What happened to you?

Quote:
Speaking of ghetto neighborhoods, here's a streetview of the infamous 320 Dixon Road in Toronto where our very own mayor Rob Ford was caught on camera smoking crack cocaine and apparently hanging out with known drug dealers and gang members. The Toronto Police announced last week they are in possession of the video, so its not just a sensational rumor anymore. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

http://goo.gl/maps/lRi77

Note the classic public housing style towers in the park format, in a neighborhood known for its gang and drug activity.
I know what these neighborhoods look like, we have them all over NYC and I don't like any of them lol.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning