Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

Many cities would disagree. City of Chicago came up with an incentive plan for a steel plant to stay. Obviously not in the central core. And an auto assembly plant thrives on the Southeast side. If I am not mistaken zoning laws were initially enacted to prevent industry from locating next to residential areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
And that's still the general idea--the difference is that, due to changes in technology and environmental regulation, most industries aren't nearly as noxious to the neighbors as they once were. So while some industries should still probably keep their distance (coal mines, nuclear power plants, etc) many are a lot better neighbors than back when every industrial building had a coal-fired steam plant to power their machinery, instead of being hooked up to an electric power grid.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
I would add that most industries that deal with metals and chemicals (ex steel mills and refineries) are pretty noxious, but otherwise they're mostly alright.

There's a sugar refinery in Toronto that's right next to an urban beach and media headquarter, and has a large condo project under construction on the other side.
You can take in the sweet smell from the beach while watching the big ships unload their cargo.

There's a few sites of contention in Toronto though. There's a new lakefront condo community growing in a former suburb West of downtown and most of the remaining land is currently being developed, leaving only a large Mr Christie cookie factory. There's also a Cadbury factory that's opposed to the rezoning of some nearby industrial land to allow residential development since they're worried the new residents will complain about their industrial activities. The Port Lands are a huge industrial area that's set to be redeveloped, although there isn't a whole lot of industry there now. If there was more substantial industry I would be opposed to the redevelopment of the area. There's also a large meat packing (slaughterhouse too?) plant very close to downtown with a lot of new condo development nearby... that's one case where I don't think the industrial activity is well suited for the area.

Generally though, I think industrial uses have a place in cities. They don't make use of the land as well (generally) as midrises/highrises, so they might not make sense right downtown, but I think it would be good if the less noxious industries would be located in walkable areas, especially next to harbours and railways.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
There was a cookie and baked goods factory in my old neighborhood--when it was in operation we'd describe it as "the cookie tree is in bloom!" Having an "outlet" store that sold huge bags of factory-seconds pastries and donuts for $1 was a mixed blessing...delicious, but I lost a few pounds almost immediately after moving to a different neighborhood!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That said, I find this aspect of the modern city disturbing. It seems the logical conclusion is the modern city, unlike the 19th century sort, will only be convenient to white-collar workers, who can easily walk, or take a train, to their own place of work in a central business district or university area. The remaining blue collar will have to drive, and presumably eventually relocate to the suburbs entirely for better convenience to their place of work.
That's not necessarily true. The HVAC guys who work in the federal courthouse commute to the same place as the federal judges and prosecutors. The mailroom guys commute to the same building as Wall Street CEOs. Construction workers, UPS/FedEx drivers, and hairstylists will often work in the same area as their more highly-paid white collar counterparts.

By and large, I don't think it's a good idea to have industrial uses in highly-populated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning