Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I love rowhouses, and I'm trying to make a list of every city where they appear in significant numbers.

Rowhouses are by far most common in Pennsylvania. Not just in Philadelphia (which has more than any other city), and Pittsburgh, but most of the smaller cities as well. They are a notable part of the Lehigh Valley (Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown), and Pennsylvania Dutch Country (Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon, York), as well as the cities of Redding, Pottsville, and Chester. The only portions of the state they are absent from are the Wyoming Valley and rural Western Pennsylvania.

Further south, Wilmington, DE has a fair amount. Baltimore is second to Philly's title, and Annapolis has some great ones. The old cities in Western Maryland (Frederick, Hagerstown, and Cumberland) all have a fair share as well.

DC of course has a large number, as do portions of Arlington and Alexandria. Richmond has them in the Fan District. Old, coastal southern cities like Charleston, Savannah, and especially New Orleans have their share.

Turning north, New York City has a great number of rowhouse neighborhoods. I am generally unaware of how prevalent they are in the rest of the state, or New Jersey (outside of Camden), but I think they are rare in both cases. I've spent a lot of my life in New England, and they are almost absent outside of Boston.

I really have little knowledge of the cities of the midwest. I know there are some in Chicago (Lincoln Park). I have heard they are rare in Cleveland, but common in Cincinnati. Louisville has some in their victorian district. I've heard Saint Louis has a smattering.

San Francisco is the only place I'm aware with rowhouses in the West.

Anyway, feel free to add/correct me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 AM

Man, bounced from main forum to urban planning. Not what I wanted given I desired tons of replies.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
I think you've covered most of the Maryland towns with rowhomes. I think Brunswick and some other railroad towns have some.

Carlisle PA has some. Martinsburg WV and Winchester VA may as well.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
New York State doesn't have that many row houses outside New York City, but Albany and Troy both have small clusters of row houses in their cores. Some are in a brownstone style like NYC. A few other upstate cities (Syracuse and Buffalo, maybe some more) have a few streets of them. Across the Hudson River, Hoboken and Jersey City have rowhouses similar to NYC. Probably some in a few other streets in North Jersey.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM

5,886 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Hamilton, Ontario has a few downtown that are a bit like those of Pennsylvania, though set back from the street: Hamilton, ON - Google Maps

Toronto also has some with little to no setback, mostly on very minor streets and in various styles:
Toronto, ON - Google Maps
Pembroke Street, Toronto, ON - Google Maps

However, in Toronto the Bay & Gable house is more common, which are usually 2-3 but sometimes more houses attached together with a substantial setback, Hamilton has some of these too.

In Canada the rowhouse with no setback is most common in Quebec City.
Quebec City, QC - Google Maps
Quebec City, QC - Google Maps

Montreal has a few too...
Montreal, QC - Google Maps
... but what's more common is small apartment buildings that are in a similar style to rowhouses:
Montreal, QC - Google Maps

There are also some rowhouses in the smaller cities of Eastern Canada.

St John's: St John's, NL - Google Maps
Saint John: St John, NB - Google Maps

Within Canada I would say that it's just Quebec City and St John's whose cores are dominated by attached, mostly single family homes with little to no front setback.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Does this LA block count?

Row Houses in Marina Del Rey | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 PM

I guess I should give more "house rules"

1. I'm not interested in isolated stands of rowhouses. As nei is I'm sure aware, Northampton, MA has a few brick rowhouses itself. That doesn't make it a "rowhouse city." Essentially, there needs to be one or more identifiable rowhouse "neighborhoods."

2. Similarly, there probably needs to be some lower limit set on population. For example, while the vast majority of row houses in the Pittsburgh area are in Pittsburgh itself, some are found in independently-incorporated boroughs outside the city, including Millvale, Etna, and Sharpsburg. All three have populations of around 3,500, and are effectively (in terms of both demographics and aesthetics), neighborhoods of Pittsburgh itself. I'd say the limit is nothing under around 20,000 people.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I guess I should give more "house rules"

1. I'm not interested in isolated stands of rowhouses. As nei is I'm sure aware, Northampton, MA has a few brick rowhouses itself. That doesn't make it a "rowhouse city." Essentially, there needs to be one or more identifiable rowhouse "neighborhoods."
Yes.

Western Massachusetts, and Massachusetts has isolated blocks of attached housing. Some could mistaken for row houses. Could add streetviews, but they're against your house rules.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
There's lots of them in the University District of Columbus OH. My aunt went to school there in the 80s. She has some interesting photos of her old place showing a block of rowhouses facing another block of rowhouses across a courtyard. Which is a rare layout because they usually face the street.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Rowhouses are primarily a Mid-Atlantic phenomenon; start with the three obvious ones in Philly, Baltimore and DC, and then include Wilmington, Richmond, Trenton, etc. Newark/NYC might be considered, but these are more of a "brownstone" variety, which are slightly different; you can also find some of these brownstone types in Albany/Schenectady/Troy, NY..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning