Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

This is a tough question, as our culture places a high value on personal property rights yet those same ideals tend to be detrimental to the public realm as a whole.

Clearly a balance between the two must be maintained, but where exactly should the "balance point" be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,680 times
I don't really understand what you're asking. We constantly have NIMBY'ers constantly challenging that even if they aren't doing it for property rights.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default ? Eminent domain ?

There is a history of states - local units of government being able to pay private property owners for those needs that require properties to be assembled. This was expanded in the Supreme Court ruling of Kelo v New London. Many feel that set the bar too low for developments that really were speculative ( city of New London never actually redeveloped land as proposed...)

Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Kelo v. New London was about the right of a city to give away non-blighted urban land for free to a developer to the benefit of Pfizer. New London was the big winner. They got a nice temporary dump out of it all after the private developer and Pfizer decided they actually didn't want the land after all since Pfizer was closing up shop and terminating the 1400 employees that worked there. Clearly, using eminent domain to seize a neighborhood to turn it into a trash dump, which to my knowledge is the most productive thing the land has been used for since, is in the public's best interest. Good call, New London, good call. It was particularly egregious, but far from unique. You have cases of it everywhere and it's on going.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-01-2012 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Clearly, using eminent domain to seize a neighborhood to turn it into a trash dump, which to my knowledge is the most productive thing the land has been used for since, is in the public's best interest. .
The collapse of a handful of southern Connecticut cities (Bridgeport, New London) is incredible. 95 along the LI Sound is like a mini rust belt (also with some of the wealthiest communities in the world sprinkled in).

Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
This is such a huge issue. Do you mean the right of the government or similar agency to condemn private property for a highway, airport, or similar public use? I personally don't think it should be possible to do so for a shopping mall. Or the right of a landowner to develop as seen fit? Zoning laws restrict the rights to put up a high rise in a single-family development, a rendering plant in a residential district or sometimes build anything at all in a flood plain. Where I live there is a debate as to whether chickens or bees should be allowed in residential areas.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:12 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
This is a tough question, as our culture places a high value on personal property rights yet those same ideals tend to be detrimental to the public realm as a whole.

Clearly a balance between the two must be maintained, but where exactly should the "balance point" be?
How so?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
How so?
Land use priorities change over time. Say your family bought two adjacent five acres of land on the edge of town and put in an orchard a hundred years ago. Today your orchard is in the middle of a neighborhood. An orchard probably isn't the best use the land could be used for today. I mean, no one is really going to object to an orchard. It isn't like it's a dairy or junk yard or anything really undesirable, but there are probably more efficient uses of land in the middle of town. Once you go down that path, however, you enter a slippery slope that's all too easy to abuse. Once you start using eminent domain to seize an orchard (or a neighborhood) because a shopping mall (Pfizer) would generate more tax revenue you run into some problems. Who is going to develop private land that the government can at a moments notice seize on a whim? Worse yet, the public benefit in most cases is really secondary to the private benefit. Oh, look there's poor(er than us) people with houses where we are thinking about building an office building and a hotel. I know, ring up the Redevelopment Agency and have them use eminent domain to seize the land with their money and then give us the land for free. How much does the public really benefit from having an office building and hotel? Not much. Pfizer had a ton of parking lots they could have built their hotel and executive offices on... but it's kind of ugly because Pfizer's building is ugly, and then they'd have to build a parking garage which costs money. Who would do that when you can use eminent domain to seize private land and have it given to you for free?

Balance would be an actual public use... like your orchards are kind of in the way, but the real problem is the two-lane country road with no sidewalk isn't safe and can't handle the traffic, so we're going to cut a few feet off your property to build a wider road and put in sidewalks.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

It varies depending on the circumstances.

[one size does not fit all]

Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
How so?
Isn't it obvious? I could make a bit of money if I turned my back yard into a nuclear waste storage facility, or what if I decided to raise skunks to make fur coats? What if I wanted to tear my house down and build a 20-story tower out of cargo containers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning