Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,550,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I'm very familiar with city garden programs, but there's a huge difference between growing a few rows in a community garden and actually producing food for sale or for sustainablity. I'll agree farmer's markets are big. But what does that have to do with growing your own food?
We have a number of non-profit urban farms in Baltimore, and one or two that make money (some people will pay $11/lb for kale, I guess).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,642,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Maybe it WAS elitist for America at large to tell rural America to get with the program and let women vote. Maybe it WAS elitist for America at large to tell rural America to get with the program and let minorities vote. Maybe it WAS elitist for America at large to tell rural America to get with the program and let blacks into the same public schools as whites and into the same restaurants as whites. Maybe it DID show a disdain for the rural way of doing things, the rural me and my kind mentality. And if it did, so be it- America at large was elitist, and rural America was bass-ackwards. Maybe rural America might start to notice a historical trend?
I don't there was much of an urban vs rural in any of those things. You live in the south, the difference in conservatism is smaller in the north.

Of race, I doubt rural areas in the north are particularly racist. At least in the 60s, parts of cities and suburbs may have been more racist. A check on the George Wallace vote in 1968 gives a hint, though there may have been other reasons to vote for him he did have openly racist platform. For New York State, his vote came from relatively recent suburban counties and Staten Island, which had similar demographics. Rural counties were a bit below urban ones. Women's suffrage started in rural states as mentioned before.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

Iowa seems to be DIFFERENT not only from southern rural states, but also from the hardline conservative South Dakotas or Wyomings, etc. Iowa IS 90-something percent white, but its politics seems to buck the trend of rural white states. So while it's definitely true that the more urban you live, the more liberal you will probably be, but it seems like the more Iowan you are, the less hard line rural conservative you will probably be as well. I don't know why it is the way it is, but I do find Iowa to be a very interesting standout of a state.
It's the whole region:

Map: Presidential Election Winners by County | Election 2008 | washingtonpost.com

large sections of the Midwest are "blue" or at least "light red". And I assumed Minnesota was one of them but it's more of a mix (was thinking of northern Minnesota). Wisconsin's most conservative areas are the Milwaukee suburbs not rural areas.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,897,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's the whole region:

Map: Presidential Election Winners by County | Election 2008 | washingtonpost.com

large sections of the Midwest are "blue" or at least "light red". And I assumed Minnesota was one of them but it's more of a mix (was thinking of northern Minnesota). Wisconsin's most conservative areas are the Milwaukee suburbs not rural areas.
It's all that Scandinavian in them, they can't help it!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 PM

819 posts, read 1,497,903 times
Quote:
In the interest of digging a little deeper, I will say that I have noticed an anomaly wich is Iowa. Iowa to me, having never visited, seems like a typical rural monolithic state. Yet Iowa is where Barack Obama first gained traction against the Clinton political machine, where he first gained traction against the McCain straight talk express, and they came through for him again in this election.

Iowa seems to be DIFFERENT not only from southern rural states, but also from the hardline conservative South Dakotas or Wyomings, etc. Iowa IS 90-something percent white, but its politics seems to buck the trend of rural white states. So while it's definitely true that the more urban you live, the more liberal you will probably be, but it seems like the more Iowan you are, the less hard line rural conservative you will probably be as well. I don't know why it is the way it is, but I do find Iowa to be a very interesting standout of a state.
Iowa is interesting.......I wonder how their "strength of church" compares to other more hard core conservative states of similar economic profile.
In my experience, where there is a strong hard core religious base there tends to be significant conservatism in the social policies and voting profile. I wonder if Iowa has a more moderate voter base due to a difference in that aspect of the population.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,338,567 times
Vermont and New Hampshire are great examples of rural states with completely different levels of political and social temperaments. Based on location, landscape, and density you would think they would be very similar. Yet Vermont is much more liberal, earthy, granola hippy types and almost always votes Democratic. New Hampshire is more the gun-toting red-neck republican types.

Regarding urban agriculture - this seems to be a new trend that is quickly sweeping the urban landscape. Here in Somerville MA, the most dense city in New England, the city is encouraging sustainable gardening and even keeping chickens and bees.

Somerville ordinance promotes urban agriculture - Boston.com

The city started an urban farm this spring:

Somerville's first urban farm is ready to grow - Somerville - Your Town - Boston.com

Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Vermont and New Hampshire are great examples of rural states with completely different levels of political and social temperaments. Based on location, landscape, and density you would think they would be very similar. Yet Vermont is much more liberal, earthy, granola hippy types and almost always votes Democratic. New Hampshire is more the gun-toting red-neck republican types.
Yet Vermont has laxer gun laws (lax might not be the right word, it doesn't really have many gun laws) than New Hampshire. Redneck and New Hampshire just doesn't sound right.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,897,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Iowa is interesting.......I wonder how their "strength of church" compares to other more hard core conservative states of similar economic profile.
In my experience, where there is a strong hard core religious base there tends to be significant conservatism in the social policies and voting profile. I wonder if Iowa has a more moderate voter base due to a difference in that aspect of the population.
As I half jokingly posted above, much of northern Midwest (MN, WI are the two I have experience with) is highly Scandinavian, which in turn are highly Lutheran. Lutherans tend to be much more socially moderate than other religions (i.e woman pastors, gay pastors, etc.) Funny though, the family (wife's) I have there is fairly conservative. Also funny is that they have traveled all over the world - they lived in Kenya, Pakistan, Algeria yet are conservative.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 PM

819 posts, read 1,497,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yet Vermont has laxer gun laws (lax might not be the right word, it doesn't really have many gun laws) than New Hampshire. Redneck and New Hampshire just doesn't sound right.
NH is far far from Red Neck......it is 40% MA north.

Gun laws don't stop crime; criminals by definition don't obey laws.

Unfortunately, in some instances firearms are available to people who I may not exactly want to have them. And this is coming from someone who shoots nearly every week, owns plenty and has an LTC.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:35 PM

somewhere in rural Vermont:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning