Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM

33 posts, read 51,357 times

Advertisements

I just found this thread today, and read all the replies. Let me just add what I haven't seen.

This RAND Corp study from 1972 addresses many of the issues involved.
http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand...2008/P4874.pdf

Just a few highlights:
  • page 5 Constant one-g acceleration/deceleration would result in New York to Los Angeles in about 21 minutes. (One-g acceleration is roughly zero to sixty in 3 seconds. So, quick, but not ridiculous, and at the end of 60 seconds you are going 1,200 mph, and still accelerating)
  • page 5 The operating costs would be just a few percent of the fare. The cost is mostly the construction.
  • page 8 A good compromise on the partial-vacuum is 0.5 mmHg, equivalent to 170,000 feet altitude

Also, it is my feeling that underground is the only way to go. Several replies have discussed the eminent domain issue. This may sound farfetched, but what if it were far enough underground that it could be considered analogous to the atmosphere. Aircraft fly over everyone's property, but the airlines do not have to pay for an easement. The political fight from the airlines would be brutal, but I hope it may be feasible to just run the tunnel several hundred feet underground where it really would not bother the property owners above. It would have to be almost exactly a straight shot. Any curves have to be extremely gradual when you are going thousands of miles per hour.

I agree that a San Francisco to Los Angeles, or New York to Washington prototype makes sense, rather than going coast-to-coast right off the bat.

It is much better than so-called High Speed Rail that tops out at less than 300 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Tunnels are exceedingly expensive because of the massive cost of dealing with the excavation material.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
The real issue is security, and the cost of that. We could not keep two tall buildings safe in New York City, now, someone wants MILES of tubing, with a high speed, highly visible transportation network.

Let's just send some engraved invitations to the terrorists of the world, ''Come see our newest, most expensive, display of American wealth and capitalism, symbol of our country...''.

Pass on that for me. Call that a high speed Disneyland for Terrorists.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The real issue is security, and the cost of that. We could not keep two tall buildings safe in New York City, now, someone wants MILES of tubing, with a high speed, highly visible transportation network.

Let's just send some engraved invitations to the terrorists of the world, ''Come see our newest, most expensive, display of American wealth and capitalism, symbol of our country...''.

Pass on that for me. Call that a high speed Disneyland for Terrorists.
Nah. The safety problem is not terrorists...it is simply the nature of mechanical equipment run by humans.

If you can solve the problems dealing with mere mechanical failures you will be pretty well there.

Yes the bad guys can hit the tube. But if set up properly it simply stops. You might get one train with a few dozen people. But why waste the effort....if you can do that you can probably take down an airplane and get a few hundred.

I would think the idea sinks or swims on much more pedestrians items like cost.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:45 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
I got whip lash getting in a 20 mph car crash.. 4,000 mph crash is gonna hurt a lot less! I'm in!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I got whip lash getting in a 20 mph car crash.. 4,000 mph crash is gonna hurt a lot less! I'm in!
Well the good new is at that speed you get crushed in 2/10th of a millisecond if you hit something hard. . Hardly time to get worried.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well the good new is at that speed you get crushed in 2/10th of a millisecond if you hit something hard. . Hardly time to get worried.
Exactly... and think about the clean up... A sheet of metal just in one big flat circular sheet from front end impact... Jaws of life is gone become obsolete!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly... and think about the clean up... A sheet of metal just in one big flat circular sheet from front end impact... Jaws of life is gone become obsolete!
A blotter is the tool of choice.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:38 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
True of so many of you. Challenged you run behind the shed and hide.

Does that not embarrass you at least a little?
Challenged with what? Sorry but your silly nonsense isn't worth responding to.
You obviously haven't even been on a high speed train before so you lack the knowledge to speak intelligently about it. You simply don't know what you're talking about. I question if you have even been on a commercial airliner before. Because if you did you would know what a nightmare airline travel has become in the last 20 years with endless flight delays, cancellations in addition to the hassle of the TSA security checks. And this thread is about the (imaginary) hyperloop anyways. If you want to talk about HSR and airplanes start another thread.

Let's try to keep the fiction and the nonfiction topics separated.

Quote:

You won't feel anything at because you would be dead.

You won't even have to crash. If so much as a fly enters the hyperloop system it would be disastrous. At 4000 mph a speck of dust would be turned into a super bullet. A normal bullet travels at only one to two thousand mph. Even running into a bit of air at that speed would be a disaster, so the smallest air leak in the system would be disastrous.

The cost of building an airtight tunnel 800 miles long? The idea that it would be cheap, as Musk claims, is just laughable. The cost of it would be astronomical, orders of magnitude more than any HSR ever built.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Challenged with what? Sorry but your silly nonsense isn't worth responding to.
You obviously haven't even been on a high speed train before so you lack the knowledge to speak intelligently about it. You simply don't know what you're talking about. I question if you have even been on a commercial airliner before. Because if you did you would know what a nightmare airline travel has become in the last 20 years with endless flight delays, cancellations in addition to the hassle of the TSA security checks. And this thread is about the (imaginary) hyperloop anyways. If you want to talk about HSR and airplanes start another thread.

Let's try to keep the fiction and the nonfiction topics separated.

You won't feel anything at because you would be dead.

You won't even have to crash. If so much as a fly enters the hyperloop system it would be disastrous. At 4000 mph a speck of dust would be turned into a super bullet. A normal bullet travels at only one to two thousand mph. Even running into a bit of air at that speed would be a disaster, so the smallest air leak in the system would be disastrous.

The cost of building an airtight tunnel 800 miles long? The idea that it would be cheap, as Musk claims, is just laughable. The cost of it would be astronomical, orders of magnitude more than any HSR ever built.
Sorry but I have ridden the high speed rail in both Europe and Japan. I have about 5 million miles in the air. I have excellent knowledge at least as a user. I was also educated as an engineer and understand much of the technical discussion. Now kindly tells us of your experience.

The issue of maintaining moderate vacuum is well know and can be dealt with. More interesting is the question of the cost of actually building such a structure on a raised platform.

I would think this pretty much scientific speculation until someone attempts a prototype. Than again we have HSR numbers in California that indicate it costs too much and is too slow..

I often suspect that automated cars and trucks on dedicated lanes may provide the best solution. Perhaps 120mph with tight separation. That would make it competitive with the airlines with operating costs like efficient trucks or buses. Not here yet but certainly doable within 15 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning