Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times

Advertisements

Blade Runner, 5th Element, and this scene from this anime movie:

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence HD - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Wow, nice artwork in that one! In some shots it looks like a place I'd want to visit, but in others it looks pretty grimy and/or dark. Definitely interesting, though.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,943,812 times
In many sci-fi movies and series, vehicle traffic is mostly in the air with elevated high-speed highways, and most things worth seeing or doing are inside skyscrapers with very little street life. I always wonder, how/where do they park all of these flying vehicles? And what's the point of having everything in skyscrapers if you're just going to zoom by at 100+mph? I like some of Star trek's depictions of futuristic San Francisco which don't seem to have the aerial superhighways and actually have very light vehicle traffic. Caprica City in Battlestar Galactica is also pretty cool and perhaps more believable.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
It has to be Metropolis for its Art Deco images:

Truly a fascinating film.

Blade Runner certainly was impressive ... and depressing at the same time. I wouldn't want to live in that city.

The futuristic movie cities that are the most disturbing stick in my memory most -- crowded, decayed, oppressive: They Live, Soylent Green, I Am Legend.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,604,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
In many sci-fi movies and series, vehicle traffic is mostly in the air with elevated high-speed highways, and most things worth seeing or doing are inside skyscrapers with very little street life. I always wonder, how/where do they park all of these flying vehicles? And what's the point of having everything in skyscrapers if you're just going to zoom by at 100+mph? I like some of Star trek's depictions of futuristic San Francisco which don't seem to have the aerial superhighways and actually have very light vehicle traffic. Caprica City in Battlestar Galactica is also pretty cool and perhaps more believable.
They show garages for the cars in 5th element don't they? I'd be more worried about sky high (pun intended) insurance rates.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It has to be Metropolis for its Art Deco images:

Truly a fascinating film.
Metropolis is probably my favorite depiction, too. But I haven't seen a ton of movies that would be considered sci-fi. I remember years ago watching Star Trek TNG and occasionally they'd show scenes from Earth that I thought looked pretty nice, and occasionally some alien cities would be appealing to me (though there's no way I could remember the specific scenes now).

Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
The futuristic Los Angeles depicted in Blade Runner is the perfect setting for a good sci-fi horror movie. Futuristic LA is portrayed as a dark, creepy, dystopian, scary place to live in. Not much different than it is now, actually.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The futuristic Los Angeles depicted in Blade Runner is the perfect setting for a good sci-fi horror movie. Futuristic LA is portrayed as a dark, creepy, dystopian, scary place to live in. Not much different than it is now, actually.
LA has a knack for looking just right in horror/sci-fi films. Perhaps my favorite depiction of Los Angeles in any movie was in The Terminator or The Omega Man. Those weren't really set in the future but they were still very good at making LA look dystopian and depressing. Rome in the film The Last Man on Earth was very creepy looking. Movies like Soylent Green or A Clockwork Orange were good at showing the lack of humility and grace of future cities and their people. My favorite New York movie is The French Connection. I know I know, not in the future but, still a great snapshot of NYC in the 70's.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:47 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times

The Jetsons Intro - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 05:17 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I knew someone would bring up the Jetsons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning