Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 05:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

You are in for a treat. Commuter rail system started operation in Orlando and will soon in Denver. Other systems are planned and may start someday. How will this affect you? You may say "I don't work downtown, what good can it do me?" You may get an attractive job offer and commuting there would become feasible. Talk to some of the commuters in places like New York, Chicago, Washington, even Los Angeles. Commuting to a workplace 30 miles away convenient. And no longer requires trading in your car every four years. But if, as many rail commuters, you still do; you find you get better trade-in value. And if you continue to drive, perhaps less traffic on the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
You are in for a treat. Commuter rail system started operation in Orlando and will soon in Denver. Other systems are planned and may start someday. How will this affect you? You may say "I don't work downtown, what good can it do me?" You may get an attractive job offer and commuting there would become feasible. Talk to some of the commuters in places like New York, Chicago, Washington, even Los Angeles. Commuting to a workplace 30 miles away convenient. And no longer requires trading in your car every four years. But if, as many rail commuters, you still do; you find you get better trade-in value. And if you continue to drive, perhaps less traffic on the roads.
I have a surprise for you: Denver has had commuter rail, AKA light rail, for 20 years.
RTD's light rail system is turning 20 (Slideshow) - Denver Business Journal

I have no idea what you're referring to. There will be a line to the airport next year, is that what you're talking about?

Old 12-31-2014, 07:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have a surprise for you: Denver has had commuter rail, AKA light rail, for 20 years.

I have no idea what you're referring to. There will be a line to the airport next year, is that what you're talking about?
Yes. I did ride the light rail from Littleton a few years back. It seemed to have too many stops, and at that time seemed short.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:

Commuter rail and light rail are two different things. The east rail airport line will be Denver's first commuter rail line.

East Rail Line

Equipment used seems like it will be similar to Philly's SEPTA.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Yes. I did ride the light rail from Littleton a few years back. It seemed to have too many stops, and at that time seemed short.
Without enough stops, a rail line isn't that useful. It appears to have 9 stops over around 9 miles. many of the LIRR lines in the closer in suburbs have similar stop spacing.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Pittsburgh used to have several commuter rails, when I was a young adult- the last halted operations in the late 80's.

I'm not sure it was a "treat", my grade school took us on a field trip from Pittsburgh to McKeesport on the B&O in the late 60's. I guess it was interesting enough, they fed us box lunches before sending us back.

This kind of venture is really iffy. In the case here, McKeesport really went in the dumper economically and no one wanted to go there. Unfortunately with trains, it isn't that easy to change the route. Buses have a lot more flexibility

Old 01-01-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm not sure it was a "treat", my grade school took us on a field trip from Pittsburgh to McKeesport on the B&O in the late 60's. I guess it was interesting enough, they fed us box lunches before sending us back.

This kind of venture is really iffy. In the case here, McKeesport really went in the dumper economically and no one wanted to go there. Unfortunately with trains, it isn't that easy to change the route. Buses have a lot more flexibility
I was on a commuter train (LIRR) a few hours ago. It's amusing to hear them as an "interesting experience", seems rather normal to me.

Not having development near where rail is can be a negative. But rail has a huge advantage over buses: it doesn't get stuck in traffic. No lights, so no stops other than scheduled ones. If a commuter rail network is extensive, it's generally the most convenient way to access the downtown of a city.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Commuter rail and light rail are two different things. The east rail airport line will be Denver's first commuter rail line.

East Rail Line

Equipment used seems like it will be similar to Philly's SEPTA.
Seriously? Please explain these great differences. Isn't commuter rail a rail service for commuters? The implication was that Denver has NO rail system for commuters, which is untrue.

Quote:
You may get an attractive job offer and commuting there would become feasible. Talk to some of the commuters in places like New York, Chicago, Washington, even Los Angeles. Commuting to a workplace 30 miles away convenient.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Seriously? Please explain these great differences. Isn't commuter rail a rail service for commuters? The implication was that Denver has NO rail system for commuters, which is untrue.
I didn't say the difference was great. The difference is the type of equipment, not the type of customers. Light rail uses lighter trains that can run on the street, commuter rail doesn't. This has been discussed previously on the forum several times. A subway is used by commuters, but it's never called "commuter rail", despite that subway and commuter rail equipment is much more similar (in a few places, they can run on the same tracks).

I didn't address the implication, it's still true Denver has no commuter rail.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I didn't say the difference was great. The difference is the type of equipment, not the type of customers. Light rail uses lighter trains that can run on the street, commuter rail doesn't. This has been discussed previously on the forum several times. A subway is used by commuters, but it's never called "commuter rail", despite that subway and commuter rail equipment is much more similar (in a few places, they can run on the same tracks).

I didn't address the implication, it's still true Denver has no commuter rail.
But it is untrue that Denver has no public rail transportation, which is what was implied in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning