Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

In earlier threads, we've talked about inner city neighborhood that lack grocery stores, often called "Food Deserts". I found this article interesting. It suggests that the lack of grocery stores in city neighborhoods is exaggerated because small grocery stores are ignored.

Streetsblog Capitol Hill » In Defense of the Corner Market

I hope those don't create another rerun of "who wants to walk to a grocery store?" argument. While I get that walking to the grocery store is time-consuming or impractical for many; for others it's practical because a grocery store is a short walk away or they pass it anyway while walking and / or they go to the grocery store many times a week because they don't plan what they cook in advance (like some people I know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Great article and thanks for sharing.

Some interesting points. However, IN MY DREAMS would I have a nice ethnic grocery store w/in walking distance. Envious of those of you who have that.

I'm in a small town in the Rust Belt and feel blessed by our local CSA store. Other than that, the self-proclaimed "Downtown Grocery" really is just a C-store with overpriced milk, no produce and plenty of junk-food and cigarettes.
Blech.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
What is interesting is that most of the "food deserts" seem to be located in isolated rural areas, contrary to popular belief.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
I can't find it now, but recently I found an interactive map that shows "food deserts" at the census-tract level. My region doesn't have a whole lot of them, but they tend to be in middling-older suburbs rather than the central city. Here's the closest thing I could find, from Slate:

Slate Labs - Food Deserts: An interactive map (http://labs.slate.com/articles/food-deserts-in-america/ - broken link)

I live near a few neighborhood markets, and I do visit them once in a while. Because they're so close, it is pretty much effortless to go run down to the market if I realize I need this or that. Some charge more than a supermarket, but the tradeoff is convenience--thus the term "convenience store." If I hop in the car and drive to a discount market five miles away, I burn at least $2 worth of gasoline and take more time than paying an extra dollar for something at the corner store. But there are also discount stores and farmer's markets within walking distance, and some of the little ethnic markets have amazing stuff for cheap, and produce too!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What is interesting is that most of the "food deserts" seem to be located in isolated rural areas, contrary to popular belief.
That's what I would think. I went to school with some who lived a 15 minute drive from the nearest supermarket.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Supermarkets go in and stay where they are the most profitable. High crime and low populations or populations without a lot of money are not profitable.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:

looking at the USDA site, there are a bunch in camden NJ, wilmington De, Baltimore (i just glanced at the Mid atlantic)

Those are much smaller census tracts (but more populous than the rural areas) so they wont show up unless you look closely.

They dont show up at all on slates map, which is at the county level. There are many rural counties that are food deserts (mostly indian reservations, poor mostly black counties in the deep south, or depressed parts of appalachia) - in urban areas its usually just a few tracts in a non food desert urban county.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
It used to be that people in rural areas made their own food and didn't rely on grocers. Obviously most farming areas are dominated my multi-thousand acre industrial farms than mono-crop or raise a single animal species in a factory-like environment.

Most people who live in rural areas actually engage in an urban-style economy based on office and service occupations. They just have much longer commutes.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
There was a radio show talking about difficulties in getting groceries in eastern Oregon -- I think it was on the Portland Public Radio station. They talked about the difficulties in even getting people to deliver to some of these rural areas. Much of the show also revolved around food options in Portland, with many callers pointing out that even in neighborhoods without as many grocery store options it wasn't quite as dire as some suggested. (can't remember the show, but it was available online in archived form)

Back to the original post, I would agree with this. I know our old neighborhood lacked a convenient major supermarket, which WAS a hassle, but we also had a lot of small ethnic markets that were wonderful in many other ways. It just wasn't the "traditional" modern American way of doing things. On the other hand, if the local option is, say, a 7-11 that doesn't really count.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It used to be that people in rural areas made their own food and didn't rely on grocers. Obviously most farming areas are dominated my multi-thousand acre industrial farms than mono-crop or raise a single animal species in a factory-like environment.

Most people who live in rural areas actually engage in an urban-style economy based on office and service occupations. They just have much longer commutes.
My mom grew up on a dairy farm. They grew some of their own vegetables, too, and my grandfather hunted and fished. But they did not grow their own wheat to make flour, grow enough vegetables to feed an entire family, shoot enough deer, catch enough fish, or grow fruit. Sometimes you want a hamburger, not deer meat. Farmers have always relied on grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning