Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times

Advertisements

All major cities downtowns are good nowadays and becoming more exciting: Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, L.A., Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St Louis and etc. They used to be bad but not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:53 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
All major cities downtowns are good nowadays and becoming more exciting: Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, L.A., Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St Louis and etc. They used to be bad but not anymore.
Yes. and...... waiting for it.

You need to add more like which of them cities has or is gaining the most in having a more vibrant downtown today? I just know one that falls short to you I disagree more then not. But not on this short-list to mention.

I would not call Houston's downtown street-level vibrant at all. Dallas a bit better maybe. The others definitely have improved in differing degrees. Only from what I've heard? Detroit and Cincinnati the most you mention. Atlanta, most complement its Midtown area as increased in vibrancy the most. LA's downtown is redefining itself too. All should continue on the upswing in its cores.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Define "exciting" and based on what metric?
Most folks aren't routinely making the rounds to the downtowns of "all major cities" so exactly who are you trying to market this nonsense to? At best if they care at all they only care about a major city downtown near them.

While perusing some internet sites regarding the decline of major cities I came across an overview of a book called "What do we do with shrinking cities".
What Do We Do With Shrinking Cities? | Newgeography.com

Apparently the book is looking for the "why" in an effort to prevent "shrinkage".
Seems that shrinkage should just be part of the natural course of a city.
At any rate the overview seemed to miss something that seems quite obvious to many: schools. No doubt there are other factors as well.

I have no idea what "exciting" is supposed to mean but it sounds like someone is trying to hype air.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:45 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
What was so bad about NYC downtown and when? When specifically did it flip from bad to good? Given, I'm not that old but Manhattan seemed not so bad at all when I first visited in the mid '90s. Last few times it was certainly bigger, not sure if I'd say it was really better though. Definitely bigger, wealthier, but also blander.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:41 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Downtown Detroit's progress has been amazing! It is one reason why the city may now be actually gaining in population, after so many years of decline.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
What was so bad about NYC downtown and when? When specifically did it flip from bad to good? Given, I'm not that old but Manhattan seemed not so bad at all when I first visited in the mid '90s. Last few times it was certainly bigger, not sure if I'd say it was really better though. Definitely bigger, wealthier, but also blander.
NY is good. I never said it's bad, even in the 70's, it was good.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Define "exciting" and based on what metric?
Most folks aren't routinely making the rounds to the downtowns of "all major cities" so exactly who are you trying to market this nonsense to? At best if they care at all they only care about a major city downtown near them.

While perusing some internet sites regarding the decline of major cities I came across an overview of a book called "What do we do with shrinking cities".
What Do We Do With Shrinking Cities? | Newgeography.com

Apparently the book is looking for the "why" in an effort to prevent "shrinkage".
Seems that shrinkage should just be part of the natural course of a city.
At any rate the overview seemed to miss something that seems quite obvious to many: schools. No doubt there are other factors as well.

I have no idea what "exciting" is supposed to mean but it sounds like someone is trying to hype air.
Have you been to many of those downtowns in the 80's and 90's? They were dead and horrible. Now, they're coming back to life and more lively. They all have been revitalized.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Yes. and...... waiting for it.

You need to add more like which of them cities has or is gaining the most in having a more vibrant downtown today? I just know one that falls short to you I disagree more then not. But not on this short-list to mention.

I would not call Houston's downtown street-level vibrant at all. Dallas a bit better maybe. The others definitely have improved in differing degrees. Only from what I've heard? Detroit and Cincinnati the most you mention. Atlanta, most complement its Midtown area as increased in vibrancy the most. LA's downtown is redefining itself too. All should continue on the upswing in its cores.
They're all alot better off these days and have bright future.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:37 PM

420 posts, read 470,040 times
Even Baltimore to my surprise! I never thought I'd say this about the city I live in. It's getting better!

Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
NY is good. I never said it's bad, even in the 70's, it was good.
Manhattan had plenty areas of declines in the 70s. Just search for why Times Square was like then.... The city had to plan a clean-up and won. But for unable to hide trash bags. The 70's had drastic cuts in city devices. You might still have loved Greenwich Villiage and Soho but Brooklyn Bronx especially then... fa'geta'bout'it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning