Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:28 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejake21 View Post
I don't want to live in cookie cutter sub divisions with 100 homes that look almost the same.
This sentiment always cracks me up because it often comes from from folks who enjoy living in urban neighborhoods with houses that almost look the same, the only difference being that they're crammed closer together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:04 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Suburbs are no where near the same around the country. Many suburbs are VERY urban depending on where you live. I believe I am getting stupider by the minute reading city-data forums.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:41 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Suburbs are no where near the same around the country. Many suburbs are VERY urban depending on where you live. I believe I am getting stupider by the minute reading city-data forums.
Uh oh, we must've offended a suburbanite! I'm not opposed to suburbs on principal. It's the traditional strip mall, subdivision, drive in your car for 45 minutes to an hour to work with a guy in a minivan and a 'Rush is Right' bumper sticker next to me type of suburb that I don't like. There are actually some really cool suburbs. I used to live in the St. Louis area for instance, and Clayton, MO is a cool place with a pretty urban feel actually.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:33 PM

209 posts, read 657,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
This sentiment always cracks me up because it often comes from from folks who enjoy living in urban neighborhoods with houses that almost look the same, the only difference being that they're crammed closer together.

Actually I live out in the country.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,696 times
This has to be the millionth C-D thread about hating the suburbs. If not, we're getting close.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 PM

57 posts, read 198,986 times
Eh, let them hate the suburbs. I'll continue to enjoy them. I've visited friends who live in a dense, urban area in Brooklyn. Boy, what a terrible way to live IMO. Couldn't pay me enough to live like that.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:17 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejake21 View Post
Actually I live out in the country.
Cool, but my statement wasn't necessarily directed towards you.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Everyone in my family, and most of my friends have chosen to live in generic suburbs around Midwestern cities. I think most suburbs are pretty much the same everywhere around the country, and I can't imagine living in any of them. I want to be either in the center of a large city like NY or Chicago, or out in Montana in a log cabin near some mountains with a couple of horses grazing in the yard. In my opinion, suburbs (and even small towns) are the worst of all the options.

I guess in my mind there are four types of living environments. 1. urban 2. suburban 3. small town rural 4. completely out in the sticks rural. I prefer urban and completely out in the sticks rural.

In a strange way, to me, both of my preferred lifestyles offer a certain amount of privacy and anonymity that aren't available in small towns and suburbs. I grew up in a small town (too gossipy and provincial) and lived in a couple of subdivisions in the 'burbs (a little gossipy, but very boring and un-original).

In a city no one gives a crap about your business and out in the sticks, no one's around to bother you. I'm guessing that many people choose the 'burbs out of necessity because of convenience of jobs and schools if they have children, but I wonder how many people who live in one actually LOVE it? I'm still trying to figure out why someone would prefer a close-minded and gossipy small town (remember that I grew up in one).

Am I strange or what? lol! Does anyone else prefer these same 2 city and country extremes?
I'm with you, I grew up in the city and my father drove a trolley. By the time I was 6 I could get anywhere in Philly by myself. Urban means you can live there without a car, or where a car is more trouble than it is worth.
I am also good with reaally small towns near military bases as a retiree

Old 07-26-2009, 08:25 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'm with you, I grew up in the city and my father drove a trolley. By the time I was 6 I could get anywhere in Philly by myself. Urban means you can live there without a car, or where a car is more trouble than it is worth.
I am also good with reaally small towns near military bases as a retiree
Disagree. Those are not the only two ways you can define urban. Cities might not possibly fall into those categories and can still be considered urban. Those are TWO characteristics that could make a city urban, but no all urban areas of the US are/should EVER be defined by those categories.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I just bought a house on Long island, about 10 miles from the city. I love it here. It's quiet enough and we have real yards (unlike when I was in the city). It's a very dense and busy suburb, which is probably more crowded than many cities around the country. It really isn't the typical suburb you would find in most areas of the country. Like if you look at this aerial picture, it looks like a city, but it's actually like 15 miles outside of NYC on Long island: http://www.landsat.com/samples/count...NY06_1nc_o.JPG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning