Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times

Advertisements

The Board of Regents just approved another huge tuition increase for the colleges and universities in this state. Students attending the U of U will expected to shell out another $400 a year bringing tuition to about $3600 per semester. This represents a 7.8% increase. Just this increase represent more in dollars than my ENTIRE tuition for a year in 1977. Prices have gone up for everything, but the consumer price index which measures inflation has gone up about 3 X since 1977. Tuition expenses have gone up 10 X. This cannot just be blamed on inflation.

We send our son to the U and this is starting to really grate on my nerves. Every year these people get a tuition hike of about 6% to 8%. We always hear the same excuses every year:

1. The Legislature is cutting our budget so we have to raise tuition.

2. We have X% more students we have to educate.

3. You wouldn't want anything other than "the best" up at the university.

I'm sorry. This just can't go on forever. These people are reaching the breaking point and eventually a bunch of students are simply going to have to pull out. They seem to have no comprehension for what it is like for a family trying to send a student to school.

I say its time to look at:

1. Program cuts.

2. Layoffs of non-essential personnel.

3. Eliminating programs that don't clear lead to post college employment.

Anyone have any ideas other than not sending our son to college?? Sigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
It sucks that schools keep hiking tuition. My fiance and I are trying to move to SLC area next year when she's done witch school. I was looking at masters programs at the Uof U. Honestly, even out of state tuition is dirt cheap compared to tuition back east. I was pretty suprised to see that.

Also isn't Utah part of the Pac-10 now? That probaly has something to do with tuition hikes. New facilities to attract recruits. It's all a business and sports drive it.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:10 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
$400 extra is a bargain for most students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: