Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,018 times

Advertisements

Here's an Adventure of a life time --- Actually moving from the BIG CITY of Dallas Texas to Moab Utah.. Follow Moderator cut: too new to post links' read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-16-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 04:16 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swrncpete View Post
Here's an Adventure of a life time --- Actually moving from the BIG CITY of Dallas Texas to Moab Utah.. Follow Moderator cut: too new to post links' read TOS
I sincerely hope you know what you're doing. I can't even imagine such a move. I'll be looking forward to hearing more from you. Good luck and welcome to Utah.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:21 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
yeah, go for it! I can imagine hating DFW and loving Moab. And vice versa.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 13,018 times
Im originally from Colorado, have been going to Moab since I was a small kid and LOVE it there... Being in Dallas for the past 38 years and trying to get out since Ive been here has been a strain.. It's finally time go get er done -- no more excuses... Thanks for checking it out!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:57 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Im originally from Colorado, have been going to Moab since I was a small kid and LOVE it there... Being in Dallas for the past 38 years and trying to get out since Ive been here has been a strain.. It's finally time go get er done -- no more excuses... Thanks for checking it out!
I noticed that your location is listed as Moab. Have you made the move or are you still just in the planning stages?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Sure hope you have a job, or are rich. Good paying jobs in Moab are hard to find and cost of living is very high.
Property prices and taxes are ludicrous. So high that I know of at least a half dozen federal workers who accepted jobs in Moab for the BLM and ended up pulling their acceptance and going elsewhere.

Most of the businesses are outfitters or small shops and restaurants so pay is at best minimum wage. There is a well known housing shortage for low income workers. One reason is a lot of houses, condos, etc. are purchased and then rented or leased at high costs to tourists. You can usually find an article in the Moab times at least twice a month in regard to housing shortages for low income workers.

I moved to Moab with a good paying job primarily cause I was transferring at a set grade level after 30 years of Federal service to another Frderal job.

An Amazon prime account is almost mandatory since basically no place to shop, except for Grand Junction, CO.

And the tourists will drive you crazy after you become a Moabite! Yes the majority of Moab residents started as tourists but when you live there you get a different openion of tourists. You'll find in the summer many don't shower (i.e. Stink), many can be obnoxious, many just not friendly, and the clog the roads.

However, if you are into 4x4 off roading, ATV'ing, mountain bikinging, hiking in the desert or mountains, not sure you can beat it.

It might have been the most beautiful city I have ever lived in, and after living and working in quiet a few cities in different countries, as well as in TN, FL, MI, NY, and now in ID that's a statement.

I took full retirement and moved to ID four years ago due to Utah's high taxes on retirees, and cost of living in Moab. So I sold made a great profit and moved. I still try and go back every year with the camper and visit but no more off roading since the Hummer is gone.

Also can get into the 100s during July & August, but it is dry.

But I would not change a damn thing; I had more fun in Moab than any place I lived as an adult, however no one was shooting at me in Moab so that helped.

Not trying to stop you just laying out the facts. If you go, have fun, and if you ever see an old guy walking in the city park path in the downtown are with two large malamutes, yell high to F5, my old call sign I've kept for more years than I can remember.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:30 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Moab would be a great place to live plus it’s only 90 min from my heaven on earth (Telluride).

I could only imagine the quality of life in Moab if you can find a decent paying job or work remotely.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:31 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
I assume you're fairly young---go for it!

Back when I was "young" ( about 26), I packed up and moved from Detroit to Texas. I had been mentally planning the trip for awhile, but I made the decision to move in about a day. Helped that I had friends to stay with and some money put away. I've never regretted the move. Sometimes you have to go with your gut!

Best of luck on your big adventure

Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 AM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Good luck. I hope you have a job lined up.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
I'm a native born Texan who loves my home state but, if I was much younger I would choose Moab over Dallas in a heartbeat. With two National Parks and a heck of a lot of outdoor recreation to be had around Moab, Dallas can't come close to competing with the natural beauty of SE Utah. Then too Moab has an average rainfall of about 9.5" per year while Dallas gets around 41", many people feel better with less humidity. I shouldn't mention a lot less people per square foot and much cleaner air in Moab.

I say go for it if you have a positive starting attitude of the Moab area and can make the move financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah