Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 AM

380 posts, read 1,114,396 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this? Is it a cheaper option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1newyorkguy View Post
Has anyone done this? Is it a cheaper option?
I done it for a friend living in Vancouver just 2 weeks ago!! It could not be easier.
If you pay cash and the amount is over 10.000 dollar US you have to declare it both at the Canada custom outbound and to the US custom. You have to communicate to the US Custom 72 hours in advance before the actual crossing (my friend did stay at my house in Seattle).
Email them the copy of the title and sales invoice, they will send you an email confirming that they received the info and from then the 72 hours period starts.

When you cross the border first stop at the US custom where they will stamp your title as exported car then at the Canadian custom you pay the federal and harmonized part of the sales tax based on the invoice (which you better write one even if you buy from a private party, and signed by the seller with Seller ID info). If the car is manufactured outside of North America you pay an importation duty tax. You will have 15 days to have the car inspected by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV), usually any Canadian Tire can do this. The fee for the inspection is about $200 and you pay for it at the Canada custom The car will be stamped as Canada Conform (you may have to modify the Daylight running lights, couple of hundred dollars modification at most and the same Canadian Tire shop can do it) and then you will be able to register and insure it at an Autoplan ICBC office where you will pay the remaining provincial sales tax.

More info and vehicle eligibility here Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle

Do not forget to temporary insure the car at ICBC for the trip back to Canada (you can do it by phone at an Autoplan office, they accept credit card payments over the phone, you have to provide them the VIN and US plate number),

Cost consideration?? I give you the example for my friend, he got a 2 years old Infiniti G37 X coupe fully loaded. Asking price for a similar vehicle at Vancouver Infiniti dealers did range between 41K and 36-38K He did buy from a private party in Portland, asking price was 19K and they settled on 16.8K. Car look and feel spanking new, carefully inspected at an Infiniti dealer before he did pay the seller. So you do the math.... Good luck!!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:44 PM

380 posts, read 1,114,396 times
Wow that's an amazing deal. My special consideration is that I'm a student from the US studying here in Canada for another year. There's a chance I won't be able to stay afterwards and will have to return to the US--so does that mean I'd lose the 12% tax I gave BC plus I'd also have to pay US tax when I returned there?

There is some special exemption I could look into where students don't have to register their cars here...but then I'd have to register/pay tax in the US and then if I did end up staying here--then have to pay tax here..grr.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,764 times
NY state has a nonresident exemption from sales tax. If you weren't a resident of NY at the time you purchased the vehicle, you are exempt from paying sales tax when you register the vehicle in New York. Most states have something similar. They don't want to dissuade people from moving to their state by being hit with hefty taxes on the cars they already own.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:12 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1newyorkguy View Post
Wow that's an amazing deal. My special consideration is that I'm a student from the US studying here in Canada for another year. There's a chance I won't be able to stay afterwards and will have to return to the US--so does that mean I'd lose the 12% tax I gave BC plus I'd also have to pay US tax when I returned there?

There is some special exemption I could look into where students don't have to register their cars here...but then I'd have to register/pay tax in the US and then if I did end up staying here--then have to pay tax here..grr.
Most staes will exempt you from paying sales tax on your return depending how long you owned the car prior to moving back to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver