Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM

137 posts, read 454,497 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama and he is in talks with a company in Vancouver about a job. I am reading this forum to get some general information on the area.

Can someone from the area tell me if there are only apartment rentals or does Vancouver have home rentals too like we do in the U.S.? I know the cost of living is MUCH higher there, but the salary being talked about would be sufficient to live nicely, I think (about $30,000-40,000 more than he is making here). We currently live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1600 square foot, one level home with a 2-car attached garage and front and back year and only pay $1050.00 a month. I know that is cheap compared to up there.

I wanted to find out about rental HOUSES though and if there are some. I ask because we have two German Shepherd dogs and a one or two bedroom apartment will not cut it. The area of the job is just on the north side of Vancouver Harbor, though I obviously do not know if there are good and bad areas of this city as there are in most cities. That being said, he would not want to work any more than 20 miles from where we live.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
You'll be on the north shore? It's a fairly suburban area, actually, and the housing stock is predominantly single family homes (although there are of course thousands of apartments available as well). You can certainly rent a house in North Vancouver or North Vancouver regional district if you can afford to. If not, I'd recommend a townhouse as the next best thing. Avoid the area called West Vancouver, which is on the north shore, it's the regions wealthiest neighbourhood so you won't get good value there, stick to North Van and points east!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM

37 posts, read 109,953 times
Your salary increase of $30-$40K, after tax, may be just enough to cover the additional rental payment on a house you are looking for in Vancouver (with similar feature to what you have currently in Alabama).

International working / living experience is great. Make sure that you don't mind the weather in Vancouver cause it is way different from Alabama. If you cannot stand long period of cloudy / raining weather (Oct to at least end of May), then don't go cause it will drive you crazy especially you are custom to sunny sky most of the year.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
The summer are glorious though, and North Vancouver, on the mountains, is a naturally beautiful setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver