Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,974,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
So why don't you live in Vancouver then?
Because Canada expects you to be a Francophone rocket surgeon in order to live there. I could afford to live there if I wanted to, the rents aren't really much worse than where I am now. The problem is that they want professionals living there, not "average Joes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:48 PM

678 posts, read 876,746 times
Quote:
What do you mean, Vancouver is perfectly affordable and has a high standard of living to rank in the top 10 worldwide!

Fresh warning bells sounded over Vancouver's hot housing market - The Globe and Mail

Oh my...

Though I'd say the bubble will pop long before 2013, but everyone has been saying it will pop for the last seven years...
Yeah, I saw many 1 bedrooms in Vancouver for 800-900 a CAD month on craigslist... and those are the same prices in Seattle or Portland, or even higher, but in US dollars.... In Seattle its about 1100 US a month....
And since the exchange rate is 1CAD=0.79USD, So that means 900 CAD for a 1bdrm in Van = 700 USD.
Therefore, cheaper to rent in Van than in Seattle or PTLAND.
The only thing that doesnt scale between the two is incomes, but that's a whole other thread

Old 04-10-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Yeah, I saw many 1 bedrooms in Vancouver for 800-900 a CAD month on craigslist... and those are the same prices in Seattle or Portland, or even higher, but in US dollars.... In Seattle its about 1100 US a month....
And since the exchange rate is 1CAD=0.79USD, So that means 900 CAD for a 1bdrm in Van = 700 USD.
Therefore, cheaper to rent in Van than in Seattle or PTLAND.
The only thing that doesnt scale between the two is incomes, but that's a whole other thread
I can't speak for Seattle, but jobs in Portland do not pay much either, and there are few of them.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I can't speak for Seattle, but jobs in Portland do not pay much either, and there are few of them.
I believe it. I do know that Seattle is strong in terms of jobs/income, so it balances out the high costs.
However, I'm looking online for jobs in HR in Vancouver, just out of curiosity , compared to let's say Toronto and was surprised at the bigger number of options I saw in Vancouver, and also many options that paid more than 55k.... and a lot of them were permanent jobs, (saw too many contract temp jobs in Toronto) And this is all despite people saying Vancouver has no jobs and that they pay little....
There weren't a ton load of options compared to Seattle however, but still, Vancouver didn't look too bad to me.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,585,263 times
Quote:
What do you mean, Vancouver is perfectly affordable and has a high standard of living to rank in the top 10 worldwide!

Fresh warning bells sounded over Vancouver's hot housing market - The Globe and Mail

Oh my...

Though I'd say the bubble will pop long before 2013, but everyone has been saying it will pop for the last seven years...
I've been hearing cries of a housing bubble since the early 2000's. Predictions are notoriously wrong. Doesn't mean it won't happen, doesn't mean it will.
The fact is no one knows.

Friends of mine were convinced it would happen in 2008 , put off buying. They waited to long.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I believe it. I do know that Seattle is strong in terms of jobs/income, so it balances out the high costs.
However, I'm looking online for jobs in HR in Vancouver, just out of curiosity , compared to let's say Toronto and was surprised at the bigger number of options I saw in Vancouver, and also many options that paid more than 55k.... and a lot of them were permanent jobs, (saw too many contract temp jobs in Toronto) And this is all despite people saying Vancouver has no jobs and that they pay little....
There weren't a ton load of options compared to Seattle however, but still, Vancouver didn't look too bad to me.
This forum honestly is just irrationally anti-Canadian. Most people here are right wingers, so I guess it does make sense.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
This forum honestly is just irrationally anti-Canadian. Most people here are right wingers, so I guess it does make sense.
Really at the end of the day, living in any kind of expensive city whether its in the US or Canada is MORE than possible if you're single . And don't be stupid with your money.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,311,841 times
Quote:
rent prices in Vancouver are cheaper than in Seattle....
That's right...rent....and there is a reason why...

Old 04-10-2015, 02:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,311,841 times
Quote:

I would say many on this forum are just realists and do not believe in fantasies....

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,314,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've been hearing cries of a housing bubble since the early 2000's. Predictions are notoriously wrong. Doesn't mean it won't happen, doesn't mean it will.
The fact is no one knows.

Friends of mine were convinced it would happen in 2008 , put off buying. They waited to long.
I'm most likely going to inherit a house in Vancouver, it'll be interesting to see what it's worth at that point.

At this point, a lot of the market is being influenced by foreign buyers not even just Chinese, but also now even Americans who are attracted because the Canadian dollar is low. Though that's the problem with a high priced housing market driven by foreign buyers--if things change in those countries and they stop coming, who is going to being able to buy a house at those prices in Vancouver. You can buy or rent a condo now if you're not rich, a house is an expensive proposition. Eventually there will be a correction, maybe not a fullforce drop, but everything that goes up will go down--then maybe back up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver