Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times

Advertisements

"LOS ANGELES | Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:00pm EST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The California Supreme Court on Monday upheld a state law allowing illegal immigrants to pay lower in-state tuition rates at state colleges and universities.

The unanimous decision overturns a lower-court ruling that said the law unfairly favors illegal immigrants over U.S. citizens who lived in other states and must pay much higher tuition.

(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Jerry Norton)"

How do you think this will affect higher learning in Ventura County? Is this unfair, considering the higher tuition rates out-of-state legal citizens have to pay to attend our colleges and universities? What about foreign students who come here legally on Student Visas for an education and have to pay higher tuitions due to their non-resident status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:48 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
I think this will go back to the chopping block....it doesn't make much sense to me...I am actually shocked but we shall see..time will tell. I went to a private university so everyone paid the same amount whether in state or out of state but at a public institution, I find this rather....how do I say...strange???? The students that come here from other countries legally pay an arm and a leg for tuition and then, look at the students from other states that come here and pay the higher rate...is that fair....umm.....

Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM

I hope it does go to the chopping block. This is unfair in so many ways. My son and his fiancee will be coming back from the UK in January. She will be here on a LEGAL long-term visitor visa, which she would later like to change to a student visa, but the costs for her to attend the local college will be astronomical. I'm tempted to tell her to allow her Visa to expire and then enroll as an illegal!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I hope it does go to the chopping block. This is unfair in so many ways. My son and his fiancee will be coming back from the UK in January. She will be here on a LEGAL long-term visitor visa, which she would later like to change to a student visa, but the costs for her to attend the local college will be astronomical. I'm tempted to tell her to allow her Visa to expire and then enroll as an illegal!
Let's face it, those here legally, who have waited thier turn don't count. It is only those who have snuck across the border or gotten here some other way illegally that need advanced educations according to some in California.

Obviously I am not happy about this!!!

Nita

Old 11-17-2010, 09:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I have an idea, how about not allowing them an education at all of any kind. Our public education is for those that are here legally. Our in state college system is subsidized as it is. Why give someone that is here illegally a benefit? Just doesn't make any sence.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
I agree with everyone!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
This is being used for political purposes, the headlines are often intentionally vague, implying that California is giving in-state tuition to anybody that crosses the border.

Anyhow there are two separate things, 1.) legal status in the US, 2.) residency in California. This will allow people that are 2.) to get in-state tuition even if they are not 1.). From California's point of view this isn't that odd, these people are really no different than other California residents. They have, or their caretakers have, been paying taxes to California for years.

California has no control over 1.), it can't grant people legal status in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why give someone that is here illegally a benefit? Just doesn't make any sence.
Because they are only "illegal" under federal law, in terms of California they are "legal". From this perspective it makes a good deal of sense, federal immigration policy is horrible, but nobody wants to address it.

Last edited by user_id; 11-17-2010 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 08:42 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's face it, those here legally, who have waited thier turn don't count. It is only those who have snuck across the border or gotten here some other way illegally that need advanced educations according to some in California.

Obviously I am not happy about this!!!
Your portrayal is not accurate, this ruling will treat people the same regardless of their federally determined immigration status. The ruling is basically ignoring federal immigration status in favor or state residency status.

Its a very interesting debate actually, one that is effecting Arizona as well. In both cases the states are sidestepping the feds, of course Arizona and California are on opposite sides, California favors a more open immigration policy where as Arizona the opposite.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:21 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Your portrayal is not accurate, this ruling will treat people the same regardless of their federally determined immigration status. The ruling is basically ignoring federal immigration status in favor or state residency status.

Its a very interesting debate actually, one that is effecting Arizona as well. In both cases the states are sidestepping the feds, of course Arizona and California are on opposite sides, California favors a more open immigration policy where as Arizona the opposite.
This is an interesting perspective

Old 11-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have an idea, how about not allowing them an education at all of any kind. Our public education is for those that are here legally. Our in state college system is subsidized as it is. Why give someone that is here illegally a benefit? Just doesn't make any sence.
I agree. Technically, as well as legally, illegal immigrants do not even hold residency status because they do not have a visa granting this priviledge. Therefore, they are not residents and should not be allowed the lower in-state tuition. However, LEGAL citizens of this state need to reside here for at least one year before they can receive the benefit of lower in-state tuition. Illgale immigrants should not have ANY access to public education in the United States, nor should they be able to receive special considerations to attend institutions of higher learning. If they want to educate their children here let them PAY to send them to a private school instead of using our tax dollars, which they do not contribute to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
View detailed profiles of: