Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 16,973 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on the type of people who live in this area? (Religion, ethnicity,ect.) It looks like a lovely area and I am wondering how my family would fit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 12:07 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,962 times
Agoura Hills, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Oak Park, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Agoura, Westlake, Thousand Oaks are all pretty similar. Nice middle to upper middle class people, good schools, low crime. Young adults tend to find them rather boring. Extremely limited transportation options. Most people are conservative. I'd live in any one of them without much reservation.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Agoura Hills, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders
Oak Park, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Agoura, Westlake, Thousand Oaks are all pretty similar. Nice middle to upper middle class people, good schools, low crime. Young adults tend to find them rather boring. Extremely limited transportation options. Most people are conservative. I'd live in any one of them without much reservation.
This sounds about right. I know the areas quite well. There is an orthodox community near Reyes Adobe and the 101 as well as other temples around there. Several catholic and christian churches too. Mostly white. Seems like there are quite a few foreigners (middle east, Europe) around there too.

(To the original poster), What is your housing price range or rental budget?
Where might you be working (commuting)?

Last edited by Charles; 02-03-2008 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 11:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Conservative places with extremely limited transportation options are community attributes that fit poorly for me, but that's a personal taste issue. Other than the fact that I would live in those areas only with great reservation, I agree with ImRandy, who sums it up pretty good for Agoura, Oak Park, Westlake, Thousand Oaks.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 AM

Talking Thanks

Thank you for the responses. My husband and I work in LA. We are trying to find a safe community with good schools to raise our daughter, this is our priority. IMRandy, you wrote there is an orthodox comm. near Reyes Adobe, 101, is it very large? Is there also alot in Oak Park? What about the Middle East, Is this population large? Is it as many as in the Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Beverly Hills area? We are hoping to buy in this area with a upper limit of 600,000. We have also been thinking about Westlake Village. I appreciate everyones responses!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:01 AM

I must correct myself,it was Charles, who stated he knows the area quite well, thanks Charles for sharing your knowledge. Cre8, if you dont mind, could you expand on why you say you would have great reservation about living in this area?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeBee View Post
Cre8, if you dont mind, could you expand on why you say you would have great reservation about living in this area?
Mainly the reason I wouldn't live in those areas is because of what ImRandy wrote regarding "extremely limited transportation options." The communities from Thousand Oaks to Calabasas are overwhelmingly car based. I could expound on the suburban sameness of it all, but I'll spare you my editorial.

Suffice it to say that I prefer areas with more mix and spontaneity of people and planning than the Agoura area offers. I also prefer places where I don't need an SUV to get everywhere.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM

116 posts, read 418,029 times
Default Oak Park

We are European family living in Oak Park with 2 (4 and 6 years old) children for one year. So far we like it a lot. The schools are great. It's really close to the beach, about 15 minutes. The area is very safe, clean and family oriented. I do have to admit that it's not as international here. For me it's hard to connect with people. I would say that most people have lived here for a long time. It's easier to move to the area with a lot of relocation families. I would say that this is the only issue that I have.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,144 times
I live in Westlake and if your kids and family are your priority
then the whole area is a great place. Good schools, safe, clean, well-
mannered people, pretty surroundings, lots of trees and open spaces.
Very family. The area is mostly white but there is some of everyone there
and it seems to be a mixed-couple mecca. Very accepting place.
People are well-educated, sophisticated and good-natured.

Last edited by laysayfair; 03-26-2008 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 AM

27 posts, read 77,756 times
I have live in both Westlake Village and Oak Park and both are predominately White upper middle class communities with sizeable Jewish populations. There are some middle easterners (mainly Persian Jews) but their numbers are not sizable and also a small, but growing Asian population. There are also pretty much churches of all denominations. The communities are both master planned, relatively new with a wide variety of housing options, albeit pricey, however you should be able to find something to your liking for up to $600,000. (If not you can always explore neighboring Thousand Oaks, which is usually less expensive, but has some very nice neighborhoods as well). The schools are excellent with many being Blue Ribbon Schools. Westlake is in the Conejo Valley Unified School District and Oak Park is in the Oak Park Unified School District, in Ventura County. The separate but neighboring cities of Westlake Village and Agoura Hills are in the neighboring Las Virgenes School District in L.A. County, which are also served by top notch schools.

Last edited by Alan Gregg; 12-19-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County