Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2024, 10:02 AM

48 posts, read 52,031 times

Advertisements

Hello folks!

I posted a similar thread in the Los Angeles forum to get SF valley opinions...

We are a same-sex couple considering a move to the LA area from the East Coast. We love forging a nice community - a good group of people from all walks of life. We have lived in many parts of the country, and noticed that some neighborhoods are more welcoming of same-sex and/or biracial couples than others. No open prejudice from some other more conservative/mixed hoods, but have noticed families being polite, yet not friendly enough to welcome us to their homes or create strong bonds of friendship due to unconscious biases.

With this in mind, and considering this would be our "forever home" and community, I would love to hear from folks, straight or not, and of all races, to talk about pros and cons of Simi Valley vs the other towns we are looking at (West Hillls, Granada Hills, Canoga Park, Chatsworth). We don't have human kids, so school districts etc not a concern.

Simi Valley has some great pros, and we really liked it in our quick survey visits: chiefly - more home for the money, safe, clean, much lower utility costs, not too far from restaurants/bars on the East of the Santa Susanna pass and quick connection to the coast. But, the question is if will it be genuinely welcoming of a family like ours?

Any other diverse families out in these areas, and especially in Simi Valley, who can tell me more?

Thanks for your input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 34 times
Hi there! Welcome to California!

I am from Simi Valley and have been here for the past 23 years! I moved here from Ventura when I was 6yrs old!

Simi Valley is a great place to live when it comes to being a clean town (not a lot of trash, broken things, graffiti, etc.), tons of wildlife and nature surrounding us with hiking trails, interesting history (from the Chumash Native Americans, the Spanish settlers, religious cults (which is extremely interesting) which led to some "ghost" towns that are now either lost to the hills or perhaps torn down and built upon, lost treasures, Charles Manson hanging out at Spahn Ranch, Ronald Reagan Library, the infamous Rodney King trial, etc.), tons of parks, a dog park that has two sides - one for the bigger dogs and one for the smaller dogs, everything is within at least 30 - 45 mins away whether Ventura Pier & the beach, one of Malibu's Beaches like Leo Carillo (which has great tide pools and a little walk through cave), or Hollywood in Los Angeles, a choice of different neighborhoods that are quiet, and other stuff you'll enjoy!

But despite all those positives, there are some negatives in which I would love to share with you over email? my email is my user name but with a "." in between taylor and marie and its a yahoo.com email. So taylor.marie213 @ yahoo.com but without the spaces, obviously! :P I just didn't want to type my email address corrrectly in case it's against the terms of the site.

For the subject of the email, just put your username or mention this forum or question and I'll make sure to check my spam folder!

Can't wait to talk to you! <3

Best,

Taylor W
taylor.marie213 @ yahoo.com
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County