Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 8,470 times

Advertisements

So after 10 years we've decided to make the move to VT this summer.

We figured out the finances, and have a rental lined up in Moretown. My family lives in Duxbury. Does anyone have any insight into the elementary schools Moretown vs. Thatcher Brook, since eventually we could end up in Duxbury. My daughter is a sweet spirited 2nd grader. We're coming from a small school system, probably the size of Thatcher Brook, but not sure if Moretown will be too small for my daughter.

Also my son will be entering 8th grade next year. We are trying to decide if we should spend the summer in VT and then have my husband and son finish all or part of the school year down here in NY until we are 100% settled.

Does anyone have any insight into making the transition with a teenager?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT_38 View Post
Also my son will be entering 8th grade next year. We are trying to decide if we should spend the summer in VT and then have my husband and son finish all or part of the school year down here in NY until we are 100% settled.

Does anyone have any insight into making the transition with a teenager?
It's best to move children at the end of the summer but just in time for the start of the school year. If you move at the start of the summer, the children will be miserable and bored because they won't know anyone and won't have ways to meet any new friends. It's most desirable for them to start the school year at the same time as everyone else. Starting a new school in the middle of the school year is a difficult transition. You won't be helping your 8th grader by postponing the inevitable by staying in NY part of the next school year. Pick a move date and move all at once. 100% settled should happen within a short period of time, not stretched out over many months.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 AM

That makes a lot of sense, and honestly I can't picture all of us not moving together.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:14 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,887,236 times
congrats
where in rockland are you coming from?

i don't know about the schools but i'd venture they're both decent! just thinking--would your kids have cousins in thatcher brook if they went there?

where do does dux go for middle/high school? crosset brook or harwood?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,837,140 times
My 3 kids changed schools a couple of times and went to small schools and large schools for elementary and middle schools. All went the same area large HS. This was in a rural area in Maine.

In my view parents spend way to much trying to analyze what is the best school for their child. IMHO I don't believe the size of the school has much bearing on their future educational success. I know parents whose kids went to or are currently attending all the area schools and many of the kids themselves, in the 20 years I have lived here.

Every town except Duxbury has their own elementary school, most go to Moretown, some go to Waitsfield, Waitsfield has the largest and most modern, Warren and Moretown have very small schools, Fayston is in between and most of the parents with kids who attend the small Warren and Moretown schools are happy with them. I assume kids in Duxbury have a choice between CB or Harwood for middle school, CB is just a middle school. All go to Harwood for HS
a few attend GMVS, a private school in Fayston.

In my view the only proper way to analyze, if you insist, these schools is to physically visit them. Just as important is to make your choice based on which town or area works best for your family. You can live within walking distance of some of them, some areas would require a bus ride. All the principals/guidance people in every school are used to providing info to families moving into the area. Put less importance of ratings and test scores, more on a more personal due diligence which includes your children, especially the older one.

I went to very small school, I think the small size gives both kids and parents a much more personable experience. Staff,administration, even the school boards are much more accessible for parents.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 01-06-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
congrats
where in rockland are you coming from?

i don't know about the schools but i'd venture they're both decent! just thinking--would your kids have cousins in thatcher brook if they went there?

where do does dux go for middle/high school? crosset brook or harwood?
Thanks Joe. We're coming from the Suffern area. From Mahwah originally and spent most of my summers in VT as a child.

My parents moved up there years ago, so we try to visit almost every season as much as we can. The house is on the border of Moretown and Duxbury so I'm guessing Middle School would be at Harwood vs Crossett Brook.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
My 3 kids changed schools a couple of times and went to small schools and large schools for elementary and middle schools. All went the same area large HS. This was in a rural area in Maine.

In my view parents spend way to much trying to analyze what is the best school for their child. IMHO I don't believe the size of the school has much bearing on their future educational success. I know parents whose kids went to or are currently attending all the area schools and many of the kids themselves, in the 20 years I have lived here.

Every town except Duxbury has their own elementary school, most go to Moretown, some go to Waitsfield, Waitsfield has the largest and most modern, Warren and Moretown have very small schools, Fayston is in between and most of the parents with kids who attend the small Warren and Moretown schools are happy with them. I assume kids in Duxbury have a choice between CB or Harwood for middle school, CB is just a middle school. All go to Harwood for HS
a few attend GMVS, a private school in Fayston.

In my view the only proper way to analyze, if you insist, these schools is to physically visit them. Just as important is to make your choice based on which town or area works best for your family. You can live within walking distance of some of them, some areas would require a bus ride. All the principals/guidance people in every school are used to providing info to families moving into the area. Put less importance of ratings and test scores, more on a more personal due diligence which includes your children, especially the older one.

I went to very small school, I think the small size gives both kids and parents a much more personable experience. Staff,administration, even the school boards are much more accessible for parents.
We're coming from a smaller school for the area, and it worked out well in such a nurturing community so far, and I do agree sometimes we all just analyze way too much, but I guess it's the fear of the unknown.

We did visit Moretown Elementary a few years ago, and all looked as good at the time. I also have an 18 month old, so we plan to be active in the community, which usually starts at the school level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: