Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:48 PM

166 posts, read 483,018 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out which area may be a better fit. Burlington or Brattleboro. Also considering the islands as I like living on an island (preferably one I can drive off). Planning a recon trip in June.

I am 44, single, have a dog and two cats, introverted - but not a complete hermit, although I don't need to see my neighbors from my house. I currently live in San Jose, CA (for work reasons, not by choice). My work has agreed to let me work remotely, so a job is not an issue. I currently pay $2600 a month for 1000 sq. ft. apartment in San Jose. I would like to keep my rent under $2K for a house so I can sock away some extra retirement money. I like to read, write, sail, snowboard, ice skate, and would like to discover some new winter activities. I am more liberal, but not too extreme. The preference is towards edgy, funky, eclectic.

Previously, some of my favorite places that I have lived are Port Townsend, WA, Boulder, CO, Whidbey Island, WA, Alameda, CA, Chicago, IL (Lincoln Square area). I spent the first 30 years of my life in Chicago, so I get cold/snow/long winter and do better in a colder climate than a warmer climate. Wherever I move, I will invest in an industrial snow blower.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 01:19 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,269,048 times
I'd go with Brattleboro. I went to high school in Bellows Falls. Vermont is not for me but I think you will love it. I believe Brattleboro is less expensive than Burlington so you would be able to save more money. Not to mention you are closer to Boston and New York (in case you wanted to get your city fix).

Old 04-18-2016, 11:50 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
No matter where decide on, rent under 2K shouldn't be a problem-but there are places where rent can be high. Burlington is probably the most expensive place in the state. If you like to sail, anything along Lake Champlain would be ideal (including the Grand Isle area). I don't really know of any good place to sail in the Brattleboro area. I don't think there is sailing on the Connecticut River. All the other activities you mentioned can be done anywhere in the state.

Cat

Old 04-19-2016, 05:40 AM

809 posts, read 998,491 times
There's sailing on the Connecticut River if you like to go north and south a lot, have one of those auxiliary motors and a large tank of gas or love to row a lot.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:17 AM

542 posts, read 703,157 times
You might like both but they are quite different in terms of size. Brattleboro is a small town. Walking the town for an hour will show you all there is. I like that personally which is why I live in that area. It has a funky vibe as burlington but it does not have the college kids there. There are a lot of people your age and older there. Alot of liberal well off new agers or old hippie types. 2 miles out of town your in the country, rural rolling hills and valleys. The west river and connecticut river are focal points. Night life is limited if your into the bar scene. We might have a dozen or so restaurants I would go to. As far as outdoor activities there is a lot of that if your into it. Snowboarding is close at hand with Mt snow or Stratton. I like to sail and you can do trailer sailing up at harriman reservoir which is actually a great place in the summer, lots of wind. Lastly Brattleboro is considerably warmer in the winter then the brutal wind blown city of burlington.
I have not lived in Burlington but have been there a lot. The landscape is much more open. The city sits looking over lake champlain with mountains in the distance. In the summer it is just gorgeous. Burlington has a small city feel as opposed to a small town. It is bustling, full of all types but a lot of kids when school is in. There is a lot of night life going on, lots of funky bars and restaurants. It is a bit more city then I need but I go up there to sail. If you like sailing Lake champlain is such a great spot I can not give it enough praise. It is a sailors lake, windy. A place where the sailboats out number the power boats on beautiful days. The water is clean enough for swimming and good fishing. North of Mallets bay the lake is spectacular with little islands and state parks. Your just going to have to check both places out. Best of luck

Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
There's sailing on the Connecticut River if you like to go north and south a lot, have one of those auxiliary motors and a large tank of gas or love to row a lot.

But, if the wind is in the wrong direction, you have to tack back & forth and with how narrow the river is, as soon as you tacked one way, you have to start back again. You would probably be spending all your time adjusting the sails and not really be able to enjoy the sail.

Cat

Old 04-19-2016, 10:24 AM

I believe he is joking.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:17 PM

809 posts, read 998,491 times
I never sailed on the Connecticut with an auxiliary motor, which is why my shoulder muscles are so well-developed. It was just a good thing when I started that I didn't know sailing was supposed to be fun. Too soon we get old; so late we get smart....

Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 PM

24 posts, read 30,165 times
TecWmn,

I've lived in Vermont for two years now. I think you might enjoy Burlington or Brattleboro. I think the most helpful thing I could say is: Burlington and Brattleboro are quite different. However, I will also say that both cities remind me a bit too much of Asheville, NC, where I lived for several years before moving to Vermont. For this reason, I prefer Montpelier, which has state government to counteract some of the arts influence, if you will. If you like small towns, you might like somewhere like Brattleboro, Montpelier, or White River Junction (which I hear has a neat arts culture, but I never discovered it myself when I lived in the area). Compared to Chicago, however, Brattleboro might feel too small for you.

I've never taken to Burlington because of the college vibe and traffic, though I agree that the islands are lovely. I'd also second what another poster said about rent generally being cheaper outside of the Burlington area. You could also check out Winooski.

For reference, I currently pay $950 for a large one bedroom in Montpelier; I paid $820 for a studio in the Upper Valley area. Rent in the Burlington area will be considerably steeper than that, though.

I will highlight that Vermont is very rural - far more rural than I realized before moving here. Burlington is very much a hub for many things I associate with modern civilization, for better or for worse: airport, chain stores, big box movie theaters, clothing stores like J. Crew, major (relatively speaking) music venue.

Living in the Upper Valley, I found myself often feeling just a bit too far to make it up to all the interesting events in Burlington. If you live in Brattleboro, you might find yourself visiting somewhere like Northampton or elsewhere in Western Mass when you want a change of scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TecWmn View Post
Trying to figure out which area may be a better fit. Burlington or Brattleboro. Also considering the islands as I like living on an island (preferably one I can drive off). Planning a recon trip in June.

I am 44, single, have a dog and two cats, introverted - but not a complete hermit, although I don't need to see my neighbors from my house. I currently live in San Jose, CA (for work reasons, not by choice). My work has agreed to let me work remotely, so a job is not an issue. I currently pay $2600 a month for 1000 sq. ft. apartment in San Jose. I would like to keep my rent under $2K for a house so I can sock away some extra retirement money. I like to read, write, sail, snowboard, ice skate, and would like to discover some new winter activities. I am more liberal, but not too extreme. The preference is towards edgy, funky, eclectic.

Previously, some of my favorite places that I have lived are Port Townsend, WA, Boulder, CO, Whidbey Island, WA, Alameda, CA, Chicago, IL (Lincoln Square area). I spent the first 30 years of my life in Chicago, so I get cold/snow/long winter and do better in a colder climate than a warmer climate. Wherever I move, I will invest in an industrial snow blower.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 AM

Just a quick addition to the previous posters comment about North Hampton. Yes if you live in Brattleboro and like music as I do. Northampton MA is a easy 45 minute drive. It is also a college town, There are a number of really good music places of different sizes. Burlington will have music, but north hampton is apt to be where you will go if you are in Brattleboro. Also a cool town for food and bar hopping.
Another town that is close to brattleboro, about 35 minutes. Is Keene NH. Over the years I have come to really like Keene. My wife and I will often travel there for day trips. There is a college in town and quite a few decent restaurants, good pubs too. Nice main street. They also have a lot more shopping over there. Not that I do much of that but they have home depot which I some times resign myself to going to. Also a number of chain stores, chiles, olive garden etc. if your into that as Vermont generally shuns that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont