Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:42 AM

29 posts, read 27,665 times

Advertisements

I've "read up" on the Remote Worker Relocation grant program, contacted the appropriate persons who can answer nearly all of my questions about it, done my due diligence to determine if I qualify, etc. but I'm really curious to hear from anyone who has actually been a "RECIPIENT" of any amount of the funds available.

The biggest piece of information the state office that oversee the program will not disclose is whether or not there is any money left in the kitty for 2019 and, if there is, how much is still available (the application process opened Jan 1, 2019).

VT has allocated $500,000 to fund the 3-year program and the disbursement breakdown is below. A new remote worker may be eligible for qualifying remote worker expenses in the amount of not more than $5,000.00 per year, not to exceed a total of $10,000.00 per individual new remote worker over the life of the program.

In year #1, only 25 people could collect the max $5,000
In year #2, only 50 people could collect the max $5,000
In year #3, only 25 people could collect the max $5,000

(3) The Agency shall award grants under the Program on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to available funding, as follows:
(A) not more than $125,000.00 in calendar year 2019;
(B) not more than $250,000.00 in calendar year 2020;
(C) not more than $125,000.00 in calendar year 2021; and
(D) not more than $100,000.00 per year in each subsequent calendar year, to the extent funding remains available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 AM

50 posts, read 113,335 times
I'm interested in knowing this as well.....has anyone done this and seen any money as promised?

I qualify and am intrigued at the offer, too good to be true?

Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,982 times
I read a story on Seven Days a while ago that interviewed some families who had taken advantage. No one had gotten the full amount, from what I recall. I believe it just reimburses you for moving expenses (ie, you're not getting a check for $5K just cuz you moved here).

Old 08-19-2019, 12:07 PM

50 posts, read 113,335 times
Yes the more I look into it I believe its a lottery type thing, you are paid in increments, requires a 2 year commitment to get the full amount. But again, only if you are chosen

Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM

This is the article I had read:
https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...t?oid=26609194

Old 08-19-2019, 03:50 PM

29 posts, read 27,665 times
Default VT "move for money" is not the only draw

Thanks for sharing that article, tkln. Appreciate the insight From that and my own reasons for considering the cross-country move to VT, here are my thoughts . . .

First, for ME I was already planning on moving from west to east coast in order to be closer to my best friend in NH and her family and because I also want to get the "heck outta Dodge!" and live more off-the-grid away from the massive traffic congestion and over-population issues we're facing here in Seattle (50,000 people moving here each year for past 3 yrs). Crime rate, traffic congestion, deforestation, housing costs, etc. are skyrocketing here and I want out! So since I was already planning the move to VT and all or a major portion of my relocation costs are eligible reimbursements for the VT relo program, that's a WIN here!

Since day one, I've not looked at this relo opportunity as a way to make a quick ten grand and then take the money and run. I'm not 'jumping on the bandwagon' just for the money but if my moving expenses are covered as well as my ongoing costs to work-from-home for a few years once I'm in VT, they hey - that's awesome! Yes, there are no guarantee of what I'll be reimbursed for but again, I'm likely making the move anyway and will be paying for these same expenses regardless of the money I may be eligible to receive back.

I think for people like me and the ones mentioned in that "Seven Days VT" article who were already considering a move to VT after doing our research and due diligence, the reimbursement we stand to get is just 'icing on the cake'

Second, the property taxes in VT are very comparable to where I currently live. In fact, they're actually lower in most places in VT (at least where I want to live there) PLUS I can get WAAAY more "bang-for-my-buck" in VT in terms of housing! If I sell my house here, I can buy VT real estate with cash and own the property outright. Plus, I don't need or want a huge house and it can be a fixer-upper (although turnkey would be great, too) as I've renovated lots of places and I'm a skilled DIY'er carpenter. I'm just looking for a cute little Cape-style with character or just whatever fits my needs and is within my budget. Ideally, I'd love a few acres that has outbuildings or a barn, my own well, and any other perks for my mini farm and organic garden as homesteading is a way of life for me now (hence the reason I want out of the "high tech, urban city life" here).

Third, I've been a remote worker for much of my career and my company has locations all over the nation and world so that wouldn't change. In fact, it's what makes me eligible for the program in the first place so another win for me. I do find it odd, however, that with all the talk I hear of VT being so short on qualified workers to fill the plethora of jobs going unfilled, the VT legislature would create a program that gave money for "remote only" workers. Scratching my head here. Seems like a slap-in-the-face for current VT residents Makes me wonder what the purpose is for excluding from the program those who are moving to VT to fill these jobs or current, qualified residents.

Lastly, the VT weather doesn't scare me (esp. the winters) as I've survived living in Missouri, Alaska, and Boston thus far. I'm looking for a major life change and to get a bit more "off-the-grid" and actually slow down so VT is a big draw for me. I've taken many trips to NH/VT over the years so I know exactly what to expect

For some, VT is a draw with all that it has to offer. Others can't get out of the state fast enough. To each his/her own I say and what ultimately matters most is that we each just make the most of wherever we live, "bloom where we're planted" and be happy and grateful for the blessings we've been given

Old 08-20-2019, 07:36 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinirish33 View Post

Third, I've been a remote worker for much of my career and my company has locations all over the nation and world so that wouldn't change. In fact, it's what makes me eligible for the program in the first place so another win for me.

Be sure you ask lots of questions and get satisfactory answers about internet access to the SPECIFIC PROPERTY you want to buy. It sounds like you have all of the other bases covered, in terms of your reasons for moving to Vermont, but just be aware that internet (and cell) coverage should be specifically investigated and confirmed.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Yup, what Gemini said - several houses we liked we did not put offers on due to lack of internet. Proceed with caution!

Old 08-24-2019, 05:01 PM

14 posts, read 12,560 times
Internet is key. Fortunately, our seller arranged to add a fiber optic connection, and that was only possible because the house was in the service provider's limited range. It's important that you do all due diligence. I work remotely, so I needed to have up-to-date internet service.

You should also test cell service, and be prepared to educate yourself about cell boosters and secondary routers. We have no issues with texting. All phone calls, however, need to come in on our land line.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:10 PM

1,241 posts, read 903,564 times
Whatever you do, think twice about buying if Consolidated Communications is your only option for internet. They are terrible with speeds that third world countries wouldn’t settle for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont