Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 04:44 AM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

In my neck of the woods (northern VT) our town has a 'study group' looking into a request to have the select board allow ATVs to ride on our public roads. We seem to have strong feelings on either side of this issue.

We know this is actually against VT state law but apparently local municipalities can approve local use of ATVs on the roads. .

I'm not on the committee but will be attending their (open) meetings to see how this shakes out.

Am wondering what town you live in and what your town's policy is on ATVs, if you have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 10:43 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'm no longer in Vermont, but in rural AL we have ATVs (four wheelers) that use the roads. A few quick comments:

When there is an accident with a car, the ATV rider will be injured or killed. The difference in the mass of the vehicles and lack of protection make this almost a given. This wouldn't be as much a problem, and merely a logical consequence, if it weren't for lawsuits and insurance.

Related - a person banned from driving because of a DUI can still ride a four-wheeler (and generally will) thinking they can just go off-road if about to be caught. You can see where this is going.

Noise, especially at night. Mufflers on some ATVs are not very effective at reducing noise.

Visibility. In the dark, these aren't very visible to drivers. Many are built with camo paint.

Underaged drivers on the road. Having ATVs allowed on roads means there WILL be eight and ten year old kids driving.

Once allowed, they become status symbols and the few around will turn into many.

With many around, comes the problem of youth groups and gangs.

On the plus side:

ATVs may be able to get around in snow/ice conditions that would be impossible for a car.

They offer more protection than a bicycle

They may expand the number of friends a kid can have

Overall, I'm mildly opposed to them, although I accept them for true rural use. Use within a town would want to come with some basic restrictions.

Old 01-31-2024, 02:13 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
My town did that and they ride wherever they feel like with no consequences. Private roads, driveways, onto your land if they see an opening, etc. I've put barbed wire fencing around my property to keep them out. They mostly go for easier spots. And yes the occasional moron with no muffler is obnoxious as all hell. I used to be supportive of making ATV trails, now I'm sick of them other than a few neighbors.

Old 01-31-2024, 05:41 PM

I appreciate your responses, Harry and Artichomesteader. The issues and concerns you express pretty much sum up the discussion in my town.

We don't have any designated ATV trails in town and the request to allow riding on our public roads was ostensibly to allow people who ride to get to the trails outside of town (they don't want to have to trailer their machines and transport them to the trails). That comes with a couple of problems: not all the surrounding towns permit riding on public roads either and many people express their wish just to tool around town, go visit neighbors, run to the general store, etc. Either way, it's worrisome to think of ATVs zooming around much of the summer which we feel would be a natural consequence of approving ATV use on public roads. My experience is they are noisy, they speed, and they kick up dust and rocks more so than regular vehicles. The issues of enforcement (virtually NONE here), town liability, safety, etc are supposed to be fleshed out by the committee. (This was all done previously in 2018 and it was not approved, so I'm not sure there will be any earth shattering differences between then and now.)

What is confusing to me is how the VT statutes don't make provision for FARM ATVs. They are restricted to farm property, when many in my area have multiple properties and go from place to place. Maybe due to enforcement issues, you'd never know who was a farmer and who was a recreational rider.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:06 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I appreciate your responses, Harry and Artichomesteader. The issues and concerns you express pretty much sum up the discussion in my town.

We don't have any designated ATV trails in town and the request to allow riding on our public roads was ostensibly to allow people who ride to get to the trails outside of town (they don't want to have to trailer their machines and transport them to the trails). That comes with a couple of problems: not all the surrounding towns permit riding on public roads either and many people express their wish just to tool around town, go visit neighbors, run to the general store, etc. Either way, it's worrisome to think of ATVs zooming around much of the summer which we feel would be a natural consequence of approving ATV use on public roads. My experience is they are noisy, they speed, and they kick up dust and rocks more so than regular vehicles. The issues of enforcement (virtually NONE here), town liability, safety, etc are supposed to be fleshed out by the committee. (This was all done previously in 2018 and it was not approved, so I'm not sure there will be any earth shattering differences between then and now.)

What is confusing to me is how the VT statutes don't make provision for FARM ATVs. They are restricted to farm property, when many in my area have multiple properties and go from place to place. Maybe due to enforcement issues, you'd never know who was a farmer and who was a recreational rider.
Obviously, this is not my circus, but I do have relatives in the area. A word to the town fathers (or whatever they are called these days) might be, "Before making any decisions, it might be an idea to consult the sheriff and state's attorney to find out what possible liabilities might be incurred with a blanket approval."

Living rural, I'll put it this way; no farmer here wants to have his abilities to handle stock impinged upon by kids acting out. Justice from farmers to kids can be sure and certain and outside of any legal system. This is why I accept ATVs, but with reservations. When that generation of farmers die out, good luck.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:29 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
There's zero law enforcement on ATV riders. The state police won't even respond and will not pursue them. The sheriff is useless unless the town is paying them to do it of course. Game wardens are too busy to do much about them. So there's that side. The town can make whatever rules it wants but there probably won't be any way of enforcing those rules.

Old 02-02-2024, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's zero law enforcement on ATV riders. The state police won't even respond and will not pursue them. The sheriff is useless unless the town is paying them to do it of course. Game wardens are too busy to do much about them. So there's that side. The town can make whatever rules it wants but there probably won't be any way of enforcing those rules.
Yes, you are correct. The previous study I referenced included commentary from the local constabulary and the game warden. They are not going to chase anyone. In many cases, they are not even going to cite them for violations. This I don't understand.
Of course I don't see much enforcement of anything anywhere, so I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise.

I don't think our committee is going to be able to show that there is a benefit to our town to allow ATVs on our public roads. There just seems to me too much evidence to the contrary.

Old 02-02-2024, 07:45 AM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
Not in Vermont:

A family member leaving work at night (after dark) had an accident which killed one of two men who were using a ride on mower on local streets, much like an ATV. They had been drinking. They drove out into the road in front of him and he couldn't stop in time. He learned (after the fact) that people reported the two men to the police, yet it went on all day.

ATVs (and ride on mowers) have no place on public roads.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:18 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Not in VT but saw this on the feed..

In Montana it is legal to operate an ATV on public roads unless otherwise posted, like you can't operate on an interstate- etc. They have to be be made street legal- horn, lighted rear lisc plate etc. Here's mine before I got permanent plates-

Honestly it's not a nuisance at all. It's really no different than a motorcycle operator (and not as noisy as most Harley's for sure, lol). You have to have a drivers license so that eliminates kids from being squirrely on roads. We have a lot of unimproved roads (forest service, BLM etc) with pockets of houses so sometimes ATV or snowmobiles are the only way to get out and about. I live a mile or 2 from a few reservoirs I like to ice fish on so it's great to just drive over the road with my ATV to get there instead of trailering there.

Our local law enforcement will cite ATV operators just the same as anyone (or anything) operating on a public road.

Last edited by Threerun; 02-02-2024 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2024, 03:11 PM

It's not a nuisance 'in your opinion.' Many locals here disagree, but we are talking about a different state, too.

As was previously stated, there is no enforcement of ATV regulations here apart from when an owner registers the machine - IF they register the machine at all.

It is against the law in the state of VT to operate an ATV on public roads. ATV manufacturers indicate that ATVs are not designed to ride on public roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont