Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 AM

894 posts, read 1,560,420 times

Advertisements

MRV is that true? I hear that and I also hear that credit is available just not for riskier mortgages. I need to call some banks and see what they say. If they have money then they need to lend it.
NYtoVT just curious how/where was the auction run? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,634 times
Guys...just a reminder to stay on topic, which is the economy of the upper valley. If you guys want to talk about how to sell your house, please do it via PM or take it to the real estate forum on C-D. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
This has nothing to do with the Upper Valley economy or even Vermont. There is a national credit freeze right affecting everyone including business. There is no one checking out your house cause it's nearly impossible right now for anyone, even those with great credit, to get a mortgage.
I'm very happy to report that this is not correct in the state of Vermont.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 AM

There is credit available in the UV. I called Mascoma and VHFA both said they are writing mortgages no problems.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
This has nothing to do with the Upper Valley economy or even Vermont. There is a national credit freeze right affecting everyone including business. There is no one checking out your house cause it's nearly impossible right now for anyone, even those with great credit, to get a mortgage.
This is very, very true. In July we were 'supposed to' close on a house...both of us have excellent credit. The bank manager said he never saw such good credit scores and said no problem...then we found out we were denied by the appraisers....it was upsetting at the time.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,830,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
There is credit available in the UV. I called Mascoma and VHFA both said they are writing mortgages no problems.
That's awesome but banks, in the Upper Valley or even the VHFA, might be writing mortgages but the other side of the coin, it's getting more and more dificult to qualify for the loans, as Gypsy, who lives in the Upper Valley points out.

On the plus side the Feds have injected alot of money into the banking sector so everyone is waiting for it to have some effect. Things will improve, hang in there in the Upper Valley.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 9,458 times
Dumb newbie question - where exactly is the Upper Valley?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Volvo View Post
Dumb newbie question - where exactly is the Upper Valley?
CT river valley. Both VT and NH although for some discussions about state policy folks mean one or the other. There was a list of towns posted once, but it is arguably Bradford, VT. South to Springfield or maybe Brattleboro. Also many towns that are over a couple of hills from the river get included. Dartmouth Hospital(DHMC) and College across the river in NH are huge employers.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 9,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
CT river valley. Both VT and NH although for some discussions about state policy folks mean one or the other. There was a list of towns posted once, but it is arguably Bradford, VT. South to Springfield or maybe Brattleboro. Also many towns that are over a couple of hills from the river get included. Dartmouth Hospital(DHMC) and College across the river in NH are huge employers.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll be job-hunting in the area soon; hopefully there will be something for a video professional.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Well, I am still here to report it's not peaches and cream here in the UV.

Dartmouth College had some info on its website about 'not applying for certain jobs' if they only want internal candidates.

It's trickling down all over the UV.
The jobs HAVE dried up. I am not being negative or a pessimist but I live here and see it. I remember last year there were more jobs than now even in November.

Places that had ads now are freezing and playing the waiting game. I have been looking since the end of August...had a few nibbles in September and that is it...

I've also noticed an increase in jobs with silly hours no family person can work (shifts like 11 am till 9 pm). Weekends required, nights required...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont