Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 12,234 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Vermont and I am a licensed Social Worker whose clientele is those who struggle with various addiction issues. We love to live simply and just want to be able to enjoy life that way. Any city to recommend for employment? I have lived all over the US, brought up in NY borough... and love culture, education, colleges, etc. but want privacy and a new start. Also, we are buddhist and would want to be around a sangha that is strong if possible. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 PM

82 posts, read 229,557 times
The salaries are going to be considerably less (and the caseloads considerably higher) for you, but there are quite a few dynamic social services agencies (non profits) that often have job openings for a person with your skill set. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundialstreet View Post
The salaries are going to be considerably less (and the caseloads considerably higher) for you, but there are quite a few dynamic social services agencies (non profits) that often have job openings for a person with your skill set. Good luck!
Does anyone have current information in regard to social workers moving to VT? I was looking in the south Burlington area. I am currently in private practice in PA working at a holistic center with other professionals also. I work with non-offending parents/ spouses of sex offenders and I do know that VT is on the cutting edge in regard to restorative justice and also accountability of sex offenders. I also do counseling in regard to individual, group, family, couples, etc.
Not looking to get rich but want a simple life, serving others and also the capability to take care of my family. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a master of divinity degree and a master of social work and am licensed in my state. Thanks for your time....

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
There is a Buddhist center in Vershire/West Fairlee, VT. Close enough by VT standards to work in the Hanover/Leb. area plus the Montpelier/Barre area.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
If you want to live in southern Vermont, you may want to consider the Brattleboro area. There is a large Buddhist community and there is also the Brattleboro Retreat, a large mental health and addictions faciility.

But the salaries are much lower here than they are in New York. There are opportunities for private practice, but the area is full of private practitiners.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM

9 posts, read 51,070 times
Default Good News

This is good news for me. I am a practicing Buddhist and was thinking about the Brattleboro area.

It's also good to hear that there are a number of therapists with private practice around Brattleboro. Not that with a Vermont salary I could probably afford therapy anymore but maybe they don't charge the $250 per hour NYC ones do.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 PM

82 posts, read 229,557 times
I have seen rates anywhere between $85 - 130 dollars (cash price). I do know they are more likely to work out payment plans, sliding scale, which is great because it ensures that people who need the services have access to them.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 AM

Wow, thanks so much for the information! I charge between 50-100 an hour (50 minutes session) for my own private practice. I truly believe all should have affordable mental health, addiction, or life issues assistance. I am in PA now.
How is employment in Brattleboro? Also, do they have treatment in that area for those with sex addiction/ offender issues. That is one of my specializations and I would like to continue such work. Vermont in known for more of their restorative justice arena in regard to that population, compared to any other state in the US. Have done much research on this!
Truly just want to live a simple life, buddhist and find love and compassion for those in my community. That is where my journey has taken me.
I was raised in NYC and enjoy a more simple life. Just want to be able to make a living, but getting rich is not a focus for me or my husband.
Thanks for the posts. It continues to help me. Peace.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeinPA View Post
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Vermont and I am a licensed Social Worker whose clientele is those who struggle with various addiction issues. We love to live simply and just want to be able to enjoy life that way. Any city to recommend for employment? I have lived all over the US, brought up in NY borough... and love culture, education, colleges, etc. but want privacy and a new start. Also, we are buddhist and would want to be around a sangha that is strong if possible. Thanks for your time.
There are tons of Oxycontin addicts in Burlington.
Not much culture here beyond the hippie/yuppies though.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Doing some research it seems South Burlington ranked pretty well on Money Magazine in regard to education, healthcare, school systems, etc. I looked into the buddhist community and Vermont has a pretty extensive following and numerous sanghas. I am from Staten Island, NY originally so crime doesn't seem to be an issue as per my perspective. I will have a son in hs during that time. What is the job market jobs most available? Being a social worker, obviously I didn't get into this field to get rich! but it does seem that there are opportunities for those in the social service arena. Any SWers reading this, any input would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont