Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times

Advertisements

Why it pays to have good customer service...

Penny Arcade - Just Wow!

Chastened Gaming Rep Paul Christoforo Responds to Internet Infamy

This even hit the MSM one day after it all started.

In-Game - Chastened gaming rep responds to Internet infamy (http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/28/9770514-chastened-gaming-rep-responds-to-internet-infamy - broken link)

What are your thoughts? Did Gabe (Mike Krahulik) over-react, or was his response equal to the offense? Or have you yourself been on the receiving end of similar customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:40 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
As a customer service representative, he should have taken a chill pill. It's a sad reality in customer service that you take crap from customers and let it slide off you. But to be fair, I completely understand Dave's initial frustration - the "Dec 17" email with zero explanation is completely unacceptable and should have never happened. If "Gabe" was getting a metric effton of emails asking about when the pre-order was going to be delivered or shipped, he should have made some sort of generic template email to handle it.

Something like,

Quote:
[Name],

Regarding your inquiry about the status of your order [order number]: At the moment, the device is [status]. We are hoping to have them shipped of around [date], which should arrive to you around [date]. If there are any updates, we will do our best to have them posted online as soon as we receive them. I apologize for the delay in getting this product to you.
Also, regarding the $10 coupon, if Gabe wanted to score brownie points, he should have applied the coupon retroactively to the order - or at least offered to. Dave, the customer, had been waiting over two months - well past the PayPal 45 day "problem with your order" deadline. At this point, he was out the money no matter how long it took to get the actual product.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times
I saw this a few days ago and knew Ol' Paul there was in for a world of hurt when he mocked Penny Arcade. Now he's reaping what he sowed with his rudeness and lack of professionalism. He got what he deserved.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:36 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
I don't think the customer over-reacted. He was very pleasant in the beginning and when he asked a few follow up questions, this alleged roid rage retard went off the deep end.

If you want more proof this guy is a douchnozzle, read this Forbes article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...o-interviewed/

Having said all that, I don't advocate threatening his family, life, sending him harrassing emails, etc. as some on the Internet do. He screwed a customer, embarassed the company he represents and lost his job. So far as I am concerned that should be the end of it. Unless the Secret Service want to investigate his threats of identity theft on Twitter.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I don't think the customer over-reacted. He was very pleasant in the beginning and when he asked a few follow up questions, this alleged roid rage retard went off the deep end.

If you want more proof this guy is a douchnozzle, read this Forbes article:

From Flaming to Firefighting - Paul Christoforo interviewed - Forbes

Having said all that, I don't advocate threatening his family, life, sending him harrassing emails, etc. as some on the Internet do. He screwed a customer, embarassed the company he represents and lost his job. So far as I am concerned that should be the end of it. Unless the Secret Service want to investigate his threats of identity theft on Twitter.
Threatening his wife and child is out of line but he himself deserves what he gets vis a vis his lost job and cyber-reaming.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Given the veracity of the statements he's already made, is there corroboration that there have been threats? Or even that the guy has a family?

Personally I think he talked his way into that position with a bunch of smoke, Krahulik is well known in the gaming industry for PA and PAX, he also well known for taking a stand against idiots too. Jack Thompson learned that also the hard way. Anyone who is claiming to be a hardcore gaming nerd who has not heard of Krahulik, or can't tie Penny Arcade and PAX together without expanding the acronym doesn't deserve the title, never mind someone who is in the industry in a customer service/marketing position who makes such a claim themselves.

This story is a good reminder that every time you want to shoot your mouth off on the internet, and take advantage of it's alleged anonymity by expanding the truth. We should all look at this and pause to consider, that the person who could be reading what we write may well be more intimately involved in the area we're shouting our mouths off about, than we are, or even claiming to be.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Given the veracity of the statements he's already made, is there corroboration that there have been threats? Or even that the guy has a family?
Good point, not that I know of. But it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there were threats made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games