Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
I will not be buying this game (in fact I refuse to buy any game from EA). They aren't even putting toddlers OR pools into the game at release. You're going to have to buy those features - which is ridiculous. EA is nothing more than a money-hungry corp that will break their game into as many pieces as possible to get the most profit from people willing to dish out all that money.

I think the last time I checked the price to buy The Sims 3 and all the expansions (not all the DLC) it was around $500!! That is absurd for a game that was released 5 years ago.
They found a price model that works. You release the base game, add stuff through expansions, release a new version cutting out stuff that was in the last version, charge for them all over again. Etc etc.

People eat it all up.

For what it is worth, I felt TS2 was the best in the series. The first was REALLY limited in how every sim had a face mesh and body mesh and a skin for each. TS2 introduced mixing genes and the transition from Baby->Elder->Dead which really gave the game a huge additional dimension as well as the huge graphical upgrade.

TS3 was more or less a retread of TS2. You could walk to other lots and it was seemless and all that but the times I felt like I needed to seemlessly walk to the power plant to pick up seeds I could count on one hand. The strongest point in TS3 for me was other lots aging as you played another family. It made the whole town feel more alive.

TS4 will be another retread with slight graphical improvements, a slew of features axed from the game and resold as peacemeal or via expansion packs. This is a surprise to no one.

Do yourself a favor and flip a few posts up, get TS2 ultimate for $0.00 and play that instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
They found a price model that works. You release the base game, add stuff through expansions, release a new version cutting out stuff that was in the last version, charge for them all over again. Etc etc.

People eat it all up.

For what it is worth, I felt TS2 was the best in the series. The first was REALLY limited in how every sim had a face mesh and body mesh and a skin for each. TS2 introduced mixing genes and the transition from Baby->Elder->Dead which really gave the game a huge additional dimension as well as the huge graphical upgrade.

TS3 was more or less a retread of TS2. You could walk to other lots and it was seemless and all that but the times I felt like I needed to seemlessly walk to the power plant to pick up seeds I could count on one hand. The strongest point in TS3 for me was other lots aging as you played another family. It made the whole town feel more alive.

TS4 will be another retread with slight graphical improvements, a slew of features axed from the game and resold as peacemeal or via expansion packs. This is a surprise to no one.

Do yourself a favor and flip a few posts up, get TS2 ultimate for $0.00 and play that instead.
I agree that it's effective. For me, it's more about not supporting this type of model and not encouraging other gaming companies to follow suite. I don't mind paying $40 for an expansion that adds a lot of new, interesting content. But I'm not dishing out hundreds for features that were already part of past games. That's just being greedy.

Although EA does have a pretty awful reputation with all the "hardcore" gamers I know. Hopefully other companies take note of that.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
I agree that it's effective. For me, it's more about not supporting this type of model and not encouraging other gaming companies to follow suite. I don't mind paying $40 for an expansion that adds a lot of new, interesting content. But I'm not dishing out hundreds for features that were already part of past games. That's just being greedy.

Although EA does have a pretty awful reputation with all the "hardcore" gamers I know. Hopefully other companies take note of that.
I agree that more should be included in the base game and expansion packs. Of course, I'm one of those people who's spent hundreds of dollars buying Simpoints to get additional store content, so I'm enabling them and who knows how much I've actually spent on Sims 3 altogether...

Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Only a few more days now until The Sims 4 is released on Tuesday, September 2nd. I'm so excited!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games