Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times

Advertisements

The only reason I buy Origin games is if the games are only available on Origin. But I bought two games that were on sale on Origin and I should have got them on Steam instead. They were Batman Arkham City and Gotham Imposters. I played 6% of BAC, but I never bought any paid DLC for it because Origin never sold it. You had to buy the DLC for the game on a separate Xbox Live website, and I never trusted that Xbox website because I thought it was unpopular and would go out of business. Today that fear is true, as the Xbox site is going down, see: Games for Windows FAQ | PC Games FAQ - Xbox.com

The other reason to hate Origin is because they drop games and you can't redownload then if you have a reformat. This is exactly what happened to my Gotham Imposters game! I saved my receipts and I saw that I paid for this game on Origin. After reinstalling Win 7 and Origin, I couldn't find a game tab to download the game and also Origin didn't sell the game anymore! SO IT REALLY SUCKS THAT ORIGIN WON'T LET YOU REDOWNLOAD A GAME THAT YOU PAID $$ FOR! Steam drops games but you can still redownload them, so Steam is awesome.

So I suggest to you, if a game is available on Steam or Origin, ONLY BUY THE STEAM VERSION. Plus Steam versions are better with Steam supplied DLCs. Like the latest Tomb Raider game, best on Steam!

How about you? Have you lost a game on Origin and what was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Havent lost a game in Origin but that is good to know, think ill be buying digital downloads and DVD's if I can for games instead of origin. I hate origin because well, its worthless. I only have it because i have to for BF3. What ever bellend thought it was a great idea to launch a program to launch a browser to launch a program was a great idea needs to be punched in the head.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Havent lost a game in Origin but that is good to know, think ill be buying digital downloads and DVD's if I can for games instead of origin. I hate origin because well, its worthless. I only have it because i have to for BF3. What ever bellend thought it was a great idea to launch a program to launch a browser to launch a program was a great idea needs to be punched in the head.
I agree with you completely here, and it certainly doesn't belong in paid games. I've seen it with free to play companies such as IJJI, and even then it's ridiculously annoying.

Origin is a huge hunk of crap, it functions, but that's really all that can be said for it. I love how every time I log in I have to agree to their TOS too, just like they are reminding me that "hey, don't forget, you agreed to that which you probably won't read which excuses us from just about everything and leaves your legal options to none," every time. If it weren't for the 3 games I own that need origin, I'd say screw it. It's unattractive looking, clumsy most times, the friends list works when it wants to, it's all around mediocre at best.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Origin ain't as bad as it was when it started, at least now it's stable and doesn't lose the internet connection like it used to before. I only have 4 or 5 games on it and I'm no fan either, though I can live with it It's no steam, but it could have been worse

Old 09-24-2013, 04:09 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
The only reason I buy Origin games is if the games are only available on Origin. But I bought two games that were on sale on Origin and I should have got them on Steam instead. They were Batman Arkham City and Gotham Imposters. I played 6% of BAC, but I never bought any paid DLC for it because Origin never sold it. You had to buy the DLC for the game on a separate Xbox Live website, and I never trusted that Xbox website because I thought it was unpopular and would go out of business. Today that fear is true, as the Xbox site is going down, see: Games for Windows FAQ | PC Games FAQ - Xbox.com

The other reason to hate Origin is because they drop games and you can't redownload then if you have a reformat. This is exactly what happened to my Gotham Imposters game! I saved my receipts and I saw that I paid for this game on Origin. After reinstalling Win 7 and Origin, I couldn't find a game tab to download the game and also Origin didn't sell the game anymore! SO IT REALLY SUCKS THAT ORIGIN WON'T LET YOU REDOWNLOAD A GAME THAT YOU PAID $$ FOR! Steam drops games but you can still redownload them, so Steam is awesome.

So I suggest to you, if a game is available on Steam or Origin, ONLY BUY THE STEAM VERSION. Plus Steam versions are better with Steam supplied DLCs. Like the latest Tomb Raider game, best on Steam!

How about you? Have you lost a game on Origin and what was it?
Gotham City Impostors (which I think is what you mean by Gotham Impostors) is released by Warner Bros Interactive, so why are you trying to use Origin to download it? It's not listed at all on EA's site and I can understand why too, it's not an EA publication.
https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/browse?q=Gotham

On Batman:AC can't comment on whether you can download that specific game or not (the BAC:GOTY has replaced BAC for purchase) , but I can download Spore which I bought from EA as a Direct Download in 2008 no problems using the Origin client. Are you filtering my games by installed content, or is this "all content".

Old 09-25-2013, 09:01 PM

Gungnir - Origin once sold Gotham City Imposters, but not anymore. But I PAID for the game and they should let me redownload it if I want. So if they drop a game you lose it too if you had to reformat and reload Origin.

But the game is Free to Play on Steam.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 PM

688 posts, read 897,399 times
That's why I pretty much only stick to physical copies of games. I don't have to worry about it never being there, unless I misplace it, hahah.

Though I have bought a couple games off Steam.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
That's why I pretty much only stick to physical copies of games. I don't have to worry about it never being there, unless I misplace it, hahah.

Though I have bought a couple games off Steam.
Hardly any brick stores sell PC games on dvd anymore, and they usually aren't cheap. I'd rather buy all of my PC games from online sellers now, because they give such a big discount on games when they go on sale.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM

312 posts, read 494,333 times
I always will be a console gamer. Might build another PC one day but the PS3/PS4 will always be my main.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games