Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 05:07 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,227 times

Advertisements

it has 3 red segments( upper and lower left as well as the lower right) what happened? how much will it cost to fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 PM

520 posts, read 730,858 times
I can't remember how much it costs exactly, because the last time I had to get a 360 fixed I had a warranty on it. However, I think it's somewhere between $100-$150. That's if you don't have a warranty.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:38 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,297 times
it'll cost about $199 for a new 12GB PS3.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,688 times
It's not worth it, you can probably buy a refurbished XBOX for whatever it would cost for repair of the old one

I was a victim of the red rings of death, but I was also still under warranty

Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
I have a place local to me that will repair your Red Ring of Death for about $75. It's reasonable. You may be able to fix it yourself if you are handy with some basic tools and attend the University of YouTube.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,793 times
Get on Ebay and buy a repair kit (around $15). You will be sent a link with precise instructions on how to fix the Red Ring of Death (which is what those three lights you see are called). We became pros at fixing our old XBox when this would happen (the repair kit is not a final cure, but you can get several months out of each repair - and the original repair kit will do several fixes).

Ultimately, you will have to replace your XBox - but you can put that expense off for awhile by repairing your broken one.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM

744 posts, read 1,091,320 times
It's made by Microsoft.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 PM

136 posts, read 381,772 times
Go with PC gaming.

Pro: No Microsoft (red ringed Xbox) console with cords everywhere.
No subscriptions, free to play (F2P), unless you want pay to play (P2P).
Global social aspect. Communities, chats, trades, forums, etc.
Most games are Xbox gamepad friendly (WASD control is better).
All game genre are available.

Con: Adequate gameplay graphics quality compared to consoles like PS2 or Dreamcast.
(However, gameplay is exceptional compared to similar console titles).
Can only play online.
"Tweaking" games for your PC may be required.
Client downloads for better games.
(Although there're some decent playing games in the browser=no downloads).

So even in the cons there're couple pros.

If you were online with your Xbox and depending on
the title and you enjoy spending your money for membership...
you may be able to play it on a PC by logging into the Xbox site.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Moving over to PC gaming is not the right answer to a simple fix. If you get the RRoD fixed by someone who knows what they are doing, it will last. If you don't know what you're doing you will probably become an expert on the repair because you've done it so many times. Take it to a repair shop and get back in business. You can have it back before this repair kit even arrives.

I'm pretty good with tools and such, but I wouldn't attempt the RRoD fix myself unless I was comfortable with the idea of replacing the whole system because I did something stupid.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,365 times
Moving consoles may not be the answer either... Though often suggested by people who have limited game catalogs.

Personally if my Xboxes went T-U. It's not just the price of the console, but the around $10k+ in games I'd be replacing some of which are exclusive (and a few that are very rare and pricey), and then replacement controllers, headsets and chargers. It's not just a $199.99 switch console fix for a PS3 for someone not owning one already.

Here's a link for support and submitting a repair request, it's $99.99 for shipping and repair, and will confirm whether your 360 is still under warranty, or if possible buy the Microsoft ESP, and then file a repair request in a couple of days once the ESP has been processed (the ESP is $24.99 a year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games