Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 03:37 PM

523 posts, read 495,146 times

Advertisements

The Grand Theft Auto series has became one of the top video game franchises in history. every time we play it(whether is Vice City, San Andreas, etc), we do anything to beat the game. in order to beat the game, we have to do dumb things, steal cars, rob and hurt innocent people, get away from cops. seriously? a bad guy as the central character. and how could parents let their kids play some of the games?

i had Vice City, i never gotten pass levels one and two, why? cause i never wanted to hurt innocent people or get involved with the mob. the only thing i did in the game was cruise around town(i loved listening to the music stations), did odd jobs(pizza delivery), play a RC race, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 03:51 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
I am not sure if you are asking a question or making a personal statement.
Why do we play GTA? - Because it's fun. It's as simple as that. It's not only the enjoyment of being the bad guy (and that's fun from an escapist aspect), but it's the open world environment. GTA is one of the first that introduced this concept into video games, and because it was so successful the game series has the best and brightest and biggest budget in the video game industry to ensure it stays that way. Indeed, you can play it just by driving around and listening to music, or you can play the story (I always play the story) - it's made and intended to play either way.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
cause i never wanted to hurt innocent people or get involved with the mob.
I think you might be too "delicate" for GTA. It's just a game, after all. Maybe try a sports game, but not football because you have to tackle people and that might hurt them.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:25 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times
I had a similar problem, but not with killing. (And not in GTA)

I couldn't steal or pickpocket from people when I played Skyrim. Don't ask me why, but I felt bad.
Killing in videogames was never a problem for me, they're not real people after all... but that specific mechanic? I kept away from it. Pity, too, because I had a rogue archetype in mind when playing my first character and being a thief would have fit so well.

I got over it eventually (I reminded myself that these were not real people I was stealing from) made another rogue and played through the thief guild's quests.

The fun about GTA is the freedom it allows the player and the chaos. It's a safe place to explore crazy stuff and relieve stress. Climb a mountain and jump in a parachute or steal a tank and wreak havoc, you're not hurting actual human beings.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:38 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,866,003 times
At first I didn't finish one of the God of War games because it got to be too much for me playing as bad guy Kratos & doing things like burning alive & sacrificing innocent people. God of War was the first game I played when I came back from a long video game hiatus. I was pretty shocked by the violence & I put the game away for awhile. But eventually like the posters above, I just said - ah it's a video game. What's it matter? I do wish the story was different. It seems over the top to me.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:59 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
A large, open world with a large amount of in-game activities to play along with the main story missions. Great characters with charisma (at least on the PS2 games), fun cars & weapons with basis in real-life, great music (Rockstar does their homework) and a realistic world where you can picture yourself as the protagonist (even more pronounced with GTA Online) as opposed to most games which are pure fantasy.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I finished San Andreas.

Where are you required to harm innocent people?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:04 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Interesting worded title.

Anyways, as others point out my love of GTA is the open world environment and how you have multiple ways of completing an objective for each mission. Plus all the side missions and little things you can do to work towards 100%.

GTA III wasn't the first video game with an open world concept, but it surely took it to another level with its grit and unapologetic violence.

I was supremely disappointed with GTA V though. All flash and no substance, all missions very similar, racial stereotypes superbly annoying, lack of adequate side missions (no cop or firefighter missions as examples).

Anyways I tend to be a good person when I play games. Whenever games allow you 'moral' choices, I like going for the good instead of the bad. Like in GTA V at the end, I chose not to kill either character.

Likewise in the Fallout series (fallout 3 and fallout nv), I chose to be a good character and strove for good karma. I freed slaves, I chose not to detonate the nuclear bomb, I chose to save people, I sided with the 'good' people, etc. Don't know why, I just don't like doing unnecessary bad things and being evil.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:41 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879
.......in order to beat the game, we have to do dumb things, steal cars, rob and hurt innocent people.......
Ya thats mean and not my kinda game... I THINK THOSE GAMES ARE SENSELESS TRASH MEANT TO DESENSITISE PEOPLE!!

Games are supposed to be fun AND THAT KIND OF ACTIVITY IS ONLY CONSIDERED FUN TO A PHYCHO!! (Sorry for being so blunt but its the truth)

Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 AM

570 posts, read 721,826 times
Freedom. I can do whatever I want, whenever I want, and not go to prison for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games