Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,629 times

Advertisements

I change strategy games every year or year and a half, Im looking for a new FREE ww2 strategy game...suggestions are needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
I would never develop a video game and give it away for free!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Decent implementation of the classic board game Axis and Allies.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/

Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Decent implementation of the classic board game Axis and Allies.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/
Thanks for the suggestion, but that looks like crap...I was thinking of something along the lines of COMMAND AND CONQUER or COMPANY OF HEROES.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but that looks like crap...I was thinking of something along the lines of COMMAND AND CONQUER or COMPANY OF HEROES.
Those aren't strategy games, they are twitch games. The only "strategy" is your wrist reaction time.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Those aren't strategy games, they are twitch games. The only "strategy" is your wrist reaction time.
I completely disagree.
And this comes from a fan of turn based strategy games, someone who is very mediocre at best at real time strategy games.
It just takes a different approach, tests different skills.
OP, the "free" part is rather problematic, unless you want to go back many years and look for abandonware or you consider silly fb games "strategy", but I think I can recommend a title:
Order of Battle: World War II (steam page)
I only played it a while ago at a friends place but it seemed really well done. And it's free! Well, sort of. You only get 3 training scenarios and a single US campaign, but if you decide after that it's something you could invest some money in, you can.

And if you want an rts, here's one I can recommend and it's almost free - only 5$.
Blitzkrieg. (steam page)
And from what I can see, Blitzkrieg 2 is there too, for t he same price.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yeah there are a number of < $10 good games out there. But outright free(legal anyway) is tricky. Outside of games like World of Tanks/Warships/Warplanes, Warthunder, etc. But it's a huge stretch to call those strategy.

This is the only WW2 RTS I know of that is free.
Spring:1944 » Open Source WWII RTS

Here are some other open source WW2 strategy games. But they will be of the turn based hex variety, no fancy animation like Company of Heroes.
World War II Archives - FreeWargamer

Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I completely disagree.
And this comes from a fan of turn based strategy games, someone who is very mediocre at best at real time strategy games.
OP, the "free" part is rather problematic, unless you want to go back many years and look for abandonware or you consider silly fb games "strategy", but I think I can recommend a title:
I only played it a while ago at a friends place but it seemed really well done. And it's free! Well, sort of. You only get 3 training scenarios and a single US campaign, but if you decide after that it's something you could invest some money in, you can.

And if you want an rts, here's one I can recommend and it's almost free - only 5$.
Blitzkrieg. (steam page)
Do you play these games?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I completely disagree.

Blitzkrieg. (steam page)
I played Order of Battle Pacific, a really fun game, but that's a turn based game, it seems this guy prefers RTS and is focused on graphics. And yeah RTS doesn't always mean twitch but some focus more on your ability to quickly move a mouse than planning and strategizing. For example: Hearts of Iron is RTS but extremely strategically complex.

But wait...Order of Battle is free now? More of a demo game I guess.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:21 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Do you play these games?
Yeah, I played both the games I recommended - that's why.. I recommended them
Had a lot of fun with both. Blitzkrieg is an rts, but it allows you to slow down/speed up time at will, so even those not very skilled at rts games (like me) can have a lot of fun without having superhuman agility and hand/eye coordination.
Blitzkrieg 2, which I haven't played but is a newer game, is also 5$ on steam (both come with multiple addons, as far as I can tell) so I guess it's an even better deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games