Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 02:31 AM

75 posts, read 54,567 times

Advertisements

Things like all this pay to win, loot box monetization garbage? As an older gamer I really hate seeing so many ways they try to exploit people for money using very immoral and unethical means. While I am sure us older gamers are against it, sadly so many younger ones get into it. I have heard of so many young people spend hundreds on in-game garbage especially cell phone trash. It's even gotten governments involved such as Belgium and their banning of the horrid loot boxes. Basically they are trying to turn young kids, teens and young adults into gambling addicts, it's so wrong and insane!

I am sure at least some of you have heard of the whole Diablo Immortal controversy where they had all these fans that have been playing their games since the beginning, even hyped everyone up over Diablo announcements and at the end of Blizzcon where everyone is thinking they would announce Diablo IV or at least another expansion to III they announce some garbage cell phone game that's just a reskin of a Chinese phone game, and acted surprised at all the boos and negative attention they got. With the guy on stage asking "What? Do you not have cell phones?" What a slap in the face to long time fans who they should know are not going to want that trash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 08:02 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
I've never bought a loot box or skin... It's all just a waste of money.

I don't think I play any games that push that stuff anymore.

From a business standpoint I get why companies do it. A loot box or skin can be far more lucrative than making the game itself when you consider profitability.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:18 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,375 times
We're witnessing the slow death of Blizzard. It's real unfortunate. It's what they get for agreeing to merge with Activision. EA will hopefully go the way of the dodo and hopefully, someday, Activision will die as well. Bethesda is a joke. I don't know why they've been granted so many free passes for their janky games over the years. Fallout 76 appears to have exceeded their limit when it comes to releasing half-assed games. Maybe this lesson of theirs will force them to get a better game engine for any future releases. I hope CDPR doesn't end up becoming greedy in the future and continues to make awesome games while everybody else is too busy chasing trends instead of setting them.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:31 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,517 times
Yep. I hate it. I remember when you paid $60 for a game and you actually got a complete game. Even if microtransactions are cosmetic only, it still impacts the quality of the game. They design games to try to get people to spend on mtx and game content suffers as a result. This will continue until people put their foot down and stop buying these games and stop spending on mtx.

The above image is a bit dated. The DLC should be replaced with lootboxes purchased via mtx.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:44 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,398,446 times
It doesn’t matter to me, wait a year or two and get the game for 75’% off with the dlc. I rarely but titles when they first come out unless it’s a AAA shooter.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:49 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Yeah, it's our collective fault for rewarding the practice by buying. Not a fan of how content is being piece mealed and more importantly how even single player games can now become unplayable when server support goes away.
How Every Awful Video Game Thing Was Born - Dorkly Post

But I understand they needed to take a new monetization angle. Prices for games have been relatively static despite inflation. NES games went for $50 new back in the 80s. Factor in inflation and that's $130 in today's money...for the level of sophistication and effort of an 8 bit cartridge game. Development costs obviously much higher now. But because game prices have been held static for so long most folks would balk at paying $100+ for a video game. But somehow it works if you buy the base game for $60 and then spend $40 on DLCs and such.

I liked Diablo 3's real money auction house. I never bought anything, but I sold enough stuff to pay for the game and a bit more before they shut it down just playing casually.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:49 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
Things like all this pay to win, loot box monetization garbage? As an older gamer I really hate seeing so many ways they try to exploit people for money using very immoral and unethical means. While I am sure us older gamers are against it, sadly so many younger ones get into it. I have heard of so many young people spend hundreds on in-game garbage especially cell phone trash. It's even gotten governments involved such as Belgium and their banning of the horrid loot boxes. Basically they are trying to turn young kids, teens and young adults into gambling addicts, it's so wrong and insane!

I am sure at least some of you have heard of the whole Diablo Immortal controversy where they had all these fans that have been playing their games since the beginning, even hyped everyone up over Diablo announcements and at the end of Blizzcon where everyone is thinking they would announce Diablo IV or at least another expansion to III they announce some garbage cell phone game that's just a reskin of a Chinese phone game, and acted surprised at all the boos and negative attention they got. With the guy on stage asking "What? Do you not have cell phones?" What a slap in the face to long time fans who they should know are not going to want that trash!
Yep capitalism in action. If the gaming companies were controlled by the workers we would see some amazing video games instead of garbage ones made only for a profit.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:45 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yep capitalism in action. If the gaming companies were controlled by the workers we would see some amazing video games instead of garbage ones made only for a profit.
Frankly having worked at a VG company in game development, if the workers were in control, you'd get a unplayable game released once every 20 years that would need to cost at least $500 a copy to recoup costs.

You can't design things by commitee and release something folks want. If anything that's one of the issues with current games, you can see the joins between the different commitees, and there's so much dilution of concepts, because everyone is decision making, and everyone ends up pulling in different directions resulting in an unfocused result.

Now that's not to say that you need to have one person defining everything alone with no other input, but there does need to be one decision maker who's sole purpose is to ensure a single consistent vision is maintained.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:15 PM

481 posts, read 423,302 times
I'd join this argument, but I've probably spent about $500 on virtual hats over the past decade.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,517 times
A good description of the problems with current video games. (Reddit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games