Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times

Advertisements

gaming peaked at the ps2 for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 11:29 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Video gaming ended for me when Warcraft went from being a game where you could play against the computer and became a game where you pretty much had to play against other players around the world who were devoted to becoming the best and some who were willing to use cheat codes. I liked that I could just pause when called to supper or someone, usually the wife, wanted to talk about something. It was casual entertainment at the time. If it has changed back to something like that, I'm not sure if I have been away for too long or what, but I just can't seem to get interested in even looking into it any more.

The only reason I am here to comment was seeing listed in the Entertainment header and the title caught my interest.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:48 PM

481 posts, read 423,171 times
It's a sad display. That's why we have to rally around developers who care about the wishes of their customers, and avoid those who don't.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/6/18...nsored-content

Old 12-10-2018, 03:57 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Yea, I hate the way gaming has been headed. I mean, I understand it, but hate it. A lot of games have turned into pay-to-win, or at the very least, pay to potentially get a slight advantage...

I think now, we are starting to see that changing too though, with games like Fortnite. Sure, you can buy skins, gliders, pickaxes, backpacks, or whatever, but they give you no advantage. Everyone has the same hitbox, and it's all cosmetic.

You can pay $10 to get the "Battlepass", which my husband and I did, and get every Battlepass from then on just from the rewards you get. So, we are on our 5th Battlepass and have only spent $10 TOTAL, since February. We have also managed to gain a ton of cosmetic stuff, emotes, and other stuff as well. Sure, some people spend a fortune on that stuff, but you don't have to, and it doesn't help. I don't mind that kind of transaction. It's the "loot boxes" and "supply drops" that give you better weapons and stuff that bother me. It's the $15 DLC that only has 4 maps on it or a short single player story worth $5 that bother me.

I don't mind supporting a game that I like, but the moment I start seeing that nonsense, they won't get a penny more from me.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:56 PM

354 posts, read 281,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Video gaming ended for me when Warcraft went from being a game where you could play against the computer and became a game where you pretty much had to play against other players around the world who were devoted to becoming the best and some who were willing to use cheat codes. I liked that I could just pause when called to supper or someone, usually the wife, wanted to talk about something. It was casual entertainment at the time. If it has changed back to something like that, I'm not sure if I have been away for too long or what, but I just can't seem to get interested in even looking into it any more.

The only reason I am here to comment was seeing listed in the Entertainment header and the title caught my interest.
There's still games like that. The older I get the pickier I get about what games I'll play. That's why I appreciate how programs like Steam or Uplay have free trials. Uplay got me with a free trial of Ghost Recon Wildlands, it's now one of my favorite games of all time. I love that they have added content since the game released; they put in a Sam Fisher mission and Rainbow 6 missions on the base game without charge. I just bought the Year One Season Pass for $40 and it's basically another game worth of content added to the base game alone (lots of extra guns and missions added). I haven't even played Narco Road or Fallen Ghosts yet.

This is all single player, pause able stuff. I've really loved the Far Cry series also. I used to love the Call of Duty series, but they lost me as a customer years ago. Over time I've come to love single player with co-op optional, open world, shooters. I have come to HATE games that force me to babysit a flak gun, drive a tank, walk down a particular alley, etc. That's why the Call of Duty and Battlefield series lost me.

I wish they'd make an open world WWII shooter, something along the lines of being a cut off Red Army soldier in Belarus or the Ukraine. You could recruit partisans, capture better weapons, etc to upgrade your abilities. There could be different factions in play like the nationalist militias, Wehrmacht, partisans, Red Army. The trick is the open world part, don't force me to drive a freaking tank. I tried CoD WWII after skipping numerous CoDs, that one mission caused them to lose me as a customer, probably for life. If I wanted to drive a tank I would have bought a tank game, not a FPS.

At least there's a new Far Cry coming out

Old 12-11-2018, 07:52 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I don't get the F2P concern a lot of times.

Take Fortnite. Sure, I can buy all sorts of things in it, but the baseline game is fine as F2P. I'm not a serious Fortnite player. For what it is to me, an occasional thing I play on mobile, it's fine as is.

I play Pokemon Go and might spend $20 a month on a community day box or something. That can be a money sink. During the warmer months, I walk more and hatch more eggs, so run through the incubators faster. If I can't afford it, I can just use the one free incubator. I'm not far from max level, have tons of high level Pokemon, and have pretty much "beaten the game."

The last CoD I played in any depth was the original Modern Warfare. I don't think I've played Battlefield since Battlefield Vietnam. Fallout 76 looks like a hot mess.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:14 AM

354 posts, read 281,234 times
I really liked the Modern Warfare series from CoD. I thought they did a good job on the story line and they fixed the few complaints I had with the game play in MW2. Unfortunately they started to lose something after the first Black Ops game.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:19 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't get the F2P concern a lot of times.

Take Fortnite. Sure, I can buy all sorts of things in it, but the baseline game is fine as F2P. I'm not a serious Fortnite player. For what it is to me, an occasional thing I play on mobile, it's fine as is.
That one just blows my mind. NO singular advantage to spending money on the game. Zero. And Epic is making MILLIONS!

Old 12-18-2018, 08:02 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That one just blows my mind. NO singular advantage to spending money on the game. Zero. And Epic is making MILLIONS!
Good for Epic, I say. People who can't spend the money get a good game for free, and still get some things every season for free with the free portion of the Battlepass, and people who want to spend the equivalent of a paycheck every few weeks on skins and emotes can do so as well. I don't do that, because the skins and stuff are outrageously expensive. For example, some skins cost 2,000 V-Bucks, which is $20. Then if you want the glider, that's another $10-$15, the pickaxe another $10...

I would be 100% fine with EVERY game being this way, to be honest. I would never buy another game! . I would just continue to use my "default" stuff, and not care 1 little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games