Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 13,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
We are leaving NY for the same reasons, we settled on Roanoke county.

My understanding is health care is the main employer in the area (I work form home, and could have picked anywhere to live, we chose Roanoke county) so keep that in mind.

We close on our house on December 15th, very excited. What we paid a bit over 200k for would have cost about 900k here. Good luck!

Always get a job BEFORE moving. And if you do wind up in Roanoke county, please do as I did and tell everyone you know you're moving to one of the Carolinas, don't want any more New Yorkers (or even worse, Californians) following you after all, right?
Thanks for the info. Congratulations on the closing of your house. 200K?! How big? It sounds like a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcass View Post
actually our current crises resulted from Prop 13 which eliminated the use of property taxes for education and used a more "equitable" formula of general state funding
Actually it was the Serrano Decision that transferred school funding to the State in the interest of fairness... the Serrano Decision predates Prop 13 and is in part why Prop 13 came into being.

It is one thing to pay high taxes for good local schools and quite another to pay high taxes and see your tax money leave the district.

Prop 13 allows the voters a say on future tax increases... the voters in my city, Oakland California, have been very generous when it comes to funding our schools.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
California-Virginia...well, Virginia has a whole lot more folks who enjoy waiving rebel flags and loves hunting.

ANIMATION biz? That will be VERY hard to find. Maybe Richmond, but the chance she will find anything interesting is VERY slim.
in defense of virginia.................
waving rebel flags????

having spent most of my life in the state (commonwealth), i'd have to say i've not seen too many rebel flag wavers.......in fact, in all of the places i've resided, i don't recall a single neighbor flying one.

stereotypes of the south as the cult of the confederacy is pretty dated. gives such an inaccurate picture for those considering relocation.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygal0000 View Post
Well, I think you'll like Virginia, then. Especially SW Virginia. But the most important thing is FIND A JOB BEFORE YOU GET HERE.

Roanoke has a lot to offer you and your family. It has the mtns, a small-town atmosphere, a charming downtown, good real estate prices. You shouldn't have any problem finding a great house for $350,000.

I wouldn't recommend commuting, in the California sense of the word. Virginia (especially SW Virginia) is not like California; here the roads are poorly-lit and two-laned, and no one commutes great distances...! If you get a job in Roanoke, live in the Roanoke valley. If you get a job in Charlottesville, live in that area. Don't try, for example, to live in Lexington and commute to Roanoke. There's just no reason to do that.

SW County has the best public schools and safest neighborhoods, in my opinion. Check out my earlier posts for schools and real estate.

Good luck!
Quote:
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?...small town feel/excitement with lots to do for a family with 2 young kids
-Community amenities important to you...very-having something for the kids to do is important and for all of us to be involved in the community is something you don't get here in CA
I live in the far SW part of the state and this county seems more like a retirement county rather than a place for a couple with children. So, I recommend that the couple definitely check to see if the county is actually kid-friendly. I think Roanoke would be a good place to consider. However avoid going too far west b/c it gets really boring. My county is very concerned b/c most of the young people who graduate usually leave the region because it's more of a retirement area rather than a prosperous, young-adult friendly area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
in defense of virginia.................
waving rebel flags????

having spent most of my life in the state (commonwealth), i'd have to say i've not seen too many rebel flag wavers.......in fact, in all of the places i've resided, i don't recall a single neighbor flying one.

stereotypes of the south as the cult of the confederacy is pretty dated. gives such an inaccurate picture for those considering relocation.
I agree. I live in a town which has a population of 97% white and was considered a "lynching town" at one time. I have seen a few rebel flags, but it's not nearly as bad as the other poster mentioned. Actually, I haven't really heard many racist comments in this region (except from two high-schoolers ). I heard far more when I was visiting family in southern Missouri (seriously, go there and you will see why Missouri was a confederate state, LOL...other than the Missouri Compromise of course).

Now, I've heard far more people make comments against other religions. God/Universe/etc. help you if you are not a protestant in my region (Pentecostal and Baptist preferred). They won't say anything to your face, but once your back is turned they will start commenting on how, "So and so is such a nice person, too bad they're going to Hell for being a Muslim/Catholic/Atheist/etc." Also, not everyone here believes that Muslims are terrorists, though I'm afraid to say that some do make such foul comments.

However, I'm only speaking from the point-of-view as someone who is part European American and part Cherokee (no affiliation with Cherokee princesses, LOL). I think a better description about racism in my region would come from the very few non-European Americans we have living here. I am noticing more and more Asians, Hispanic, and Middle Eastern individuals moving to the region. I've become highly disenchanted with this region, but I have to stand up for it in terms of the lack of rebel flags and only the occasional comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia