Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,196 times

Advertisements

Looking at Lynchburg Va. as a possible retirement location. Info. gathered appears that there is a high concentration of Conservative Christian colleges, churches and ultimately, population. What are your impressions of the melding of northerners, who are Roman Catholic, into the general community life of Lynchburg? Honesty is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 04:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I wouldn't advise moving to Lynchburg. You'll always be viewed as an outsider, moreso for being a New Yorker than being Catholic. You'll be treated fine on a superficial level I'd imagine, but will be kept at a distance. This wouldn't be the case elsewhere in Virginia, but Lynchburg is "special" .

If you're set on retiring in Virginia, Roanoke is not too far away and is very similar to Lynchburg in terms of cost and weather and topography, but more open-minded.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:13 PM

73 posts, read 171,864 times
I have to strongly disagree with that assessment. In addition to Christian colleges, there is also a large secular population, specifically Lynchburg College that is by no means Christian or conservative. Lynchburg is like any other town--there are bars, pool halls, etc. I would not call Lynchburg close-minded in the least. In fact, I know Hindus who attend Liberty University!

As far as not being accepted because you're a Northerner or a New Yorker, that is probably the most absurd thing I have EVER heard. The times I visited my friends at Liberty, I found that a HUGE portion of students are from other states--there are all kinds of baseball fans, football fans, etc. A good friend of my friend just moved back to Seattle after graduating!

Move to Lynchburg or don't, but I wouldn't at all base my decision on the spurious idea that Lynchburg is a "close-minded" town. That's ridiculous.

Last edited by VT Hokie 2007; 08-23-2006 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-23-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Hokie 2007 View Post
As far as not being accepted because you're a Northerner or a New Yorker, that is probably the most absurd thing I have EVER heard. The times I visited my friends at Liberty, I found that a HUGE portion of students are from other states--there are all kinds of baseball fans, football fans, etc. A good friend of my friend just moved back to Seattle after graduating!
You're right. It IS absurd, but for different reasons. It's absurd that people still treat people differently based on where in the U.S. they're from. I stand by my opinion. Look at the plethora of posts from people who have moved from the North on this board to places in the South complaining of harassment, mistreatment, rudeness and a feeling of alienation which corroborates that such things do happen, and conversely, look at the number of posts on this very board from Southerners complaining about "Yankees". I'm certainly not creating this from out of the blue. I don't know why the idea that there are those who still hang onto age-old stereotypes is such a shock.

Of course there are liberals, Jews, Muslims, gays and foreigners and out-of-staters living in Lynchburg and I have no doubt that some of them are quite happy there, and it's quite possible that the original poster may be happy down there as well, might find no outward signs of rudeness or discrimination that others have complained of, and wind up loving Lynchburg. However, the fact of the matter is that there are many people with an insular closed-minded mindset down there and as some people on this board, and people I know in my offline life can attest to, these people can make for an uncomfortable and at times hostile environment and I think that anyone moving to the area and explicitly asking about that sort of (in)tolerant environment deserves to have that information.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 PM

So you are basically admitting to having no first-hand knowledge of Lynchburg accept for some friends who tell you about it?

The fact is, you are dead wrong about Lynchburg. It is NOT a close-minded area and your comments demonstrate a total lack of knowledge of the area. You shouldn't paint a specific town with the brush "close-minded" because there is evidence that OTHER places in the south are. That's just ridiculous.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
So you are basically admitting to having no first-hand knowledge of Lynchburg accept for some friends who tell you about it?
The exact same thing could be said about you and your more positive outlook on Lynchburg.
Quote:
The fact is, you are dead wrong about Lynchburg. It is NOT a close-minded area and your comments demonstrate a total lack of knowledge of the area. You shouldn't paint a specific town with the brush "close-minded" because there is evidence that OTHER places in the south are. That's just ridiculous.
I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not going to argue about this because I know from your history of posts that you are dead-set on your self-righteous views and there is no point in anyone trying to convince you otherwise. Anyone can live in Lynchburg and get by just fine, but that doesn't make it a tolerant place. Lynchburg is very close-minded. I'll say it over and over again because it's the truth. Marilynf64 now has both of our opinions and she (I'm assuming) can make of them what she will.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:43 PM

Well, no, I've actually spent time in Lynchburg. You have not. Don't post about places you have never been to or have experienced little time in. Lynchburg is NOT intollerant and your ad hominem argument is baseless and rudimentary.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Well, no, I've actually spent time in Lynchburg. You have not. Don't post about places you have never been to or have experienced little time in. Lynchburg is NOT intollerant and your ad hominem argument is baseless and rudimentary.
I actually have spent time in Lynchburg. I simply haven't lived there, and neither have you. As much as it may bother you, I'm probably just as knowledgable and experienced with Lynchburg as you are, but I'm not going to try to prove that or "out-Lynchburg" you because it's stupid and pointless. This is all just superfluous cyber-pollution at this point as we've both answered the initial question with our own opinion. So that's it. We're done here. Other people can have their say to keep this thread relevant.

Last edited by dullnboring; 08-24-2006 at 12:30 AM..

Old 08-27-2006, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,642 times
Default it's a great place to retire

Hi, I have never posted on this site before, but I felt compelled to respond. I am a northerner who relocated to Lynchburg almost 5 years ago. I am not sure what area of Lynchburg you are considering, but I have found that many people living in the Boonsboro area have relocated here from other parts of the country and feel very comfortable here. Lynchburg is mostly Protestant Christian, but many of my friends are Catholic, (all transplanted here from other states), and they feel very welcome here. There are 2 large RC churches, and a well respected Catholic school that goes from K-12. There are other religions and groups as well, but in all honesty I have to say that most Lynchburgers seem to be Baptist, Methodist, or Presbyterian. Jerry Falwell lives here and has a huge congregation and Liberty University, so our town does have a reputation for being very "Christian," but I am not a very religious person, and I have never felt like an "outsider" here at all.

There are several reasons why this area would be a great place to retire. The medical community here is fantastic. We have top notch physicians with amazing credentials, and the hospitals are both great. The cost of living here is reasonable with low taxes (compared to the North), and the area is absolutely gorgeous. For the price of 1/5 acre in North Jersey, here you can get an acre+ with mountain views, larger house, etc. The Winters are milder, but we do still get some snowy/icy days.

However, if you are used to professional sports, Broadway shows, and huge Art Museums, you may get a little bored here in the Burg. I do sometimes miss the hustle and bustle of the larger cities, and traveling to see family in the North is a hassle.

I hope I have not responded too late for you to see this. Relocating to Lynchburg will be something you will have to think about, but I hope that religion will not keep you away. I am sure you will find an occasional person who does not agree with Catholicism, but probably you could find that anywhere. Good luck in your decision.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:49 AM

291 posts, read 1,360,696 times
I lived in South Ga for five years and I felt as if I had been let out of prison when we moved out. I had people from other southern states tell me that they felt for me, cause it was hard for them to assimulate, that they could only imagne how difficult it would be for us! And this was in a very closed minded conservative church!

I hate to say this, but there is still a large population in the southern states who resent people from the North, coming down here and "stealing" their jobs, I believe the term is carpetbegger? Or something like that? And the worse treatment was from our fellow church members.

Since then I left the deep south and the church and I feel like a new creation in GOD! I still live in the south, and yes their is discrimintion still, but its not as bad as south ga, it really is a different world down there, alien almost!

LOL!
WVA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia