Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:15 PM

21 posts, read 76,572 times

Advertisements

Which cities have a more larger downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,301 times
Richmond followed by Norfolk if I had to guess. NOVA, while the most populous area, is pretty sprawled out and doesn't have a large downtown to speak of.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:56 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
I'm glad to know there may be a "downtown" somewhere in NoVa! I would just drive across the river to DC and not waste my time trying to find it!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:06 PM

370 posts, read 1,010,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I'm glad to know there may be a "downtown" somewhere in NoVa! I would just drive across the river to DC and not waste my time trying to find it!
Oh there are a couple wee ones in there somewhere but indeed, DC is the place to go if you live in NOVA and want some density. That or Old Town Alexandria but that's more of a dense, historic neighborhood than a downtown.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:51 PM

855 posts, read 1,173,101 times
Rosslyn has a sort of downtown in NoVA (in the sense of big buildings, etc.). But Richmond would probably have the largest "downtown" in VA.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:18 PM

330 posts, read 878,270 times
Not necessarily downtowns, but a few central business districts in Northern Virginia:

1. Rosslyn - a photo on flickr - Rosslyn, Virginia Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_t_in_dc/491996939/ - broken link)
2. Arlington - a photo on flickr from an airplane - Corridor | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvjantzen/2560251822/ - broken link)
3. Ballston - a photo on flickr - Ballston, Arlington, Virginia skyline at sunset from AED HQ | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tadnkat/4272163765/ - broken link)
4. Crystal City - a photo on flickr - Mother Nature on an acid trip | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74104660@N00/2255879643/ - broken link)
5. Tysons Corner - office/retail square footage wise - larger than downtown Atlanta - http://beyonddc.com/images/photos/va...ine01-best.jpg
6. Reston - photo on smugsmug - http://marcbenton.smugmug.com/Other/In-and-Around-Reston-Virginia/24610435988dd10af7ebo/306382863_m7ixH-D.jpg (broken link)

Several photos in this city-data discussion (look for city-data member (United_Caps): http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...skyline-6.html

Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
The Tysons Corner area has 80,000 employees, more than work in downtown Richmond. Tysons also has 55,000 daily shoppers.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:09 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
Default Crystal City

I have always liked the underground at Crystal City. It reminds me a little of the downtown Montreal underground linking the hotels, with shops, restaurants. Although I have always gotten lost in both it is still a unique concept for a "downtown". I also like how they designed the Metro to connect it all together.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 AM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
I agree with the posts concerning NoVa, but in the end, it is still all suburbia. A very dense suburbia reminiscent of other large northeastern cities. As far as a traditional downtown, in VA Richmond is the best. It has a very good mix of new and historic buildings and highrises, residential, and restaurants and tourist things. But little shopping unfortunately.

If Norfolk hadn't leveled their downtown in urban renewal projects of the '50s-'60s, that would be my favorite VA downtown. I get angry when looking at old Norflk pictures.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I have always liked the underground at Crystal City. It reminds me a little of the downtown Montreal underground linking the hotels, with shops, restaurants. Although I have always gotten lost in both it is still a unique concept for a "downtown". I also like how they designed the Metro to connect it all together.
Wow. Really? Crystal City is joked about because the name, conjuring up images of elegance or Oz's Emerald City, belies its reality.

The Crystal City underground has had a hard time keeping decent non-food-related business tenants. Not counting eating establishments, there are a lot of novelty, small businesses and a scant few bigger ones like Rite Aid drugstore. The Safeway grocery store closed years ago, the bookstores closed, and the food court closed. To me, the place is forgettable and rather tacky. It is nice to be able to connect to so many buildings via the underground passages if I need to go somewhere for a meeting, but more often than not, I'll elect to go the outdoors route and get some fresh air - unless it's raining.

The owners must realize that the trend is moving toward outdoors walkable environments, not the subterranean dim indoor mall experience. More businesses have opened in the past years with their doors to the outside along Crystal Drive - trying to revive the place. I don't know what will happen once many of the government and contractor shops move out due to BRAC.

One subterranean business environment I've experienced that I thought worked was in Osaka. There, numerous underground paths connect to rail, get people across the streets by going under them, and serve up a huge variety and number of business establishments. But then, Osaka has the population to support that, and the corridors were packed whenever I was there. I didn't venture into Montreal's underground when visiting there, but I've experienced Minneapolis' skyways (another place where it makes sense, due to the extreme cold weather of that place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia