Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 PM

68 posts, read 133,166 times

Advertisements

Hi Ladies and Gents

Really hoping for some help or advice on relocating for work in Independence, Grayson Co!,VA. If anyone can offer some local knowledge, we'd be so grateful.

Husband will be working at the new prison - he isn't new to the job, we live between Danville and Rocky Mount now.
We like quiet - rural right now which is fine, or small town would be lovely.
Have a 2 year old so a library and community to drive to would be nice, and in time a school of course.
Renting a modest home is a big issue - salary not great lol. Wondering how best to find rentals out there.
Willing to drive around 25 miles for the right place. VA or NC considered.

Understand Independence, Troutdale and Fries are the main towns in Grayson. Is Galaxy the largest around and what's that like? Also saw Sparta NC. is close and not opposed to that direction. Everything considered. Any opinions on where to look where to avoid? Any known useful contacts?

Very very grateful for any and all advice so thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 PM

382 posts, read 868,223 times
I believe the town is Galax, VA and it probably is the biggest town in that immediate area. I've only been to it twice, for very short peroids. It looks like your average American town, Not too big, all the usual stores expected and a nice historic district. I know that wasn't much but I hope it's a start. Galax would be about equal to Rocky Mount (if not a hair bigger), not as big as Danville.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 PM

385 posts, read 1,113,387 times
Consider Jefferson/W Jefferson or Mouth of Wilson

Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,778 times
West Jefferson/Jefferson, Ashe County is a nice, clean place to live. Some of my extended family live there. Camping and fishing on the New River and if your looking for a good meal, check out Shatley Springs.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Thanks so much everyone. Am actually checking out Galaxy now. Will certainly check out the other suggestions too. Much appreciated!, thank you.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Ouch .... reading about rising gang crime in Galax. Sometimes it sucks being married to maw enforcement. Looking at Wythville and the North Carolina areas. Trouble isn't finding lovely places, it's finding homes to rent in them. My head is about to explode!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:56 PM

Just wanted to come back and say a huge Thank You for the suggestions you gave. I went out to West Jefferson and wow, what a lovely place. Will certainly be looking for rentals there, Mouth of Wilson, Sparta NC and the little towns inbeteeen also lovely. Even managed to link up with a lovely realtor who has no business interest in helping us find a rental but is doing so anyway.
For anyone reading this post later, looking for similar advice, I'd also add the small towns of Independence and Fries (right on the river and absolutely gorgeous), seem great places.
No doubt in my mind about moving here - just need to find s home come August.
THANK YOU so much for your help - so very appreciated. If there's anything I can do in return - yell out.
Abi.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 16,794 times
We just purchased a house there....Troutdale, we are NE transplants We love it. What would you like to know?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM

Oh wow! Troutdale's absolutely gorgeous and I'm glad you're happy there. We spent last weekend driving around area between Sparta N.C and to Wythe as we have no idea where we'll be able to find an affordable rental.

My husband's job is actually in Independence due to star somewhere around Oct although August would suit me better. Our lease here is up then. I cannot wait to get out there.

I had a good look at Independence which while nit the quaintest of old small town America, seemed at least to be flourishing. And the people could not have been more friendly. We alreadtly have invitations from the Mayor and the Town Manager. I contacted a local realtor asking for help or redirection for how best to find a rental. I made it absolutely clear we wouldn't be buying and rental isn't their business but still they invited us for a visit which was lovely and found a few properties fir us to look at. One just perfect in Independence but sadly it wont be available by the time we could apply. But apparently this same lady is prepared to keep looking nearer the time for us and knows of interim corporate housing. Whilst not our first choice!, definitely reduces the pressure while we hunt for that ellusive rental and what tremendous kindness. Those kind of people are the kind I want to raise my daughter.

I guess the big things to know are where little communities exist and how welcoming they are. I'd love a little company, especially as my daughter grows. But I do like the quiet life too .... and hope to goodness to pass a sight test sometime soon allowing me to drive. We had at Galax as for ammenities it seems pretty good for a country city but just can't get a handle on the place. Obviously there's some industry surviving and some lost. I do know it has gang issues that aren't going anywhere. My husband is being moved to the soon to open orison for this reason. Nobody chooses to raise children in that environment, and it would be rough on our kid lol, but couldn't establish where that little pocket of rising activity is centered. It'd be unfair to write off a whole town on that basis if it's not a major issue - I just need to know how to avoid it.

The other place I found that had almost no ammenities but a pretty setting and plenty if housing (perhaps a little more congested than I'm used to which means getting along with your neighbors!), is Fries. Do you know anything of that place? Again, hard to get a read on the local people but a beautiful river front setting.

It may be that we have to he really flexible as rentals seem tough to find and our budget kind if limited - we'd really like to avoid an apartment if possible. Any suggestions would be really gratefully received as well as warnings .... a "Don't even think about this place" is as welcome as a positive and so much harder to come by. Am happy to receive those in private messages if you want to he diplomatic

Thank you so much for responding - maybe we could repay you with a 'neighborly' meal when we get there. Our two year old generally doesn't bite

Thanks so much,

Abi

Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 16,794 times
We really liked Fries, ate at that little Mex place a couple times and yes, the river is beautiful! We really didn't find any areas that we didn't like, our major concern was horseback riding trails and proximity. We will be about 30 minutes from marion: nice town and very helpful at the Chamber of Commerce building. I say will be as we are still in New England, looking forward to leaving ( of all places!) Cape Cod. With our interests being horses, it's not a great place any longer for us: too many people and dumb northern rules.

Anyhow, the realtor we used was very helpful, based in Wytheville ( Whthe County) Name of the office is Mountain Sky Properties....tho they do have a few locations. Might want to give a call when next in the area.

I look forward to more replies on this thread from Grayson county residents and transplants....Hope your relocation goes smoothly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia