Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 20,068 times

Advertisements

I was pulled over by a state cop this week on I 95 for having a visible radar detector. He acknowledged that it wasn't on or being used, but said they are illegal in Va. I was given a citation for $101.00. I thought the sign entering Va. on I 95 said the "use" of radar detectors was illegal, not the possession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,745 times
I think the sign says "Radar Detectors Are Illegal"

Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 PM

97 posts, read 616,268 times
There is different violations for radar detectors I believe. In possession is illegal, while in Use in "more" illegal. i say be smart about it and use it anyway, either hide it or put a remote sensor in the front of the car. VG2 is great, they cant visually see it your fine.

However, I dont condone breaking the law unless its a bad law.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:55 PM

134 posts, read 519,480 times
Don't use em! There are detectors the Law uses to detect any radar detector that is on (that make sense?)

If you have it on, even hidden, they will know.

There is one new unit available that doesn't get noticed by the illegal detector- detector, but I forgot the brand.

Anyway, they are illegal to possess in VA, your ticket is valid, sorry to say.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:17 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times
Used to be a cop in VA (Live in Raleigh, NC now). They are not illegal to posses, but you have to have them in a LOCKED glove compartment or in the trunk usually. You have to have them out of the drivers reach and obviously can not be turned on.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 76,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Dave View Post
There is one new unit available that doesn't get noticed by the illegal detector- detector, but I forgot the brand.

It is the Beltronics Sti driver. I've used it for 2 years all over NOVA from the outskirts of loudoun to arlington, and have never had a "detector/detector" pick mine up. I've even been pulled over(for no front tag) and the officer never spotted mine.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 17,219 times
Warning!! There's a new tactic used in Virginia regarding radar detector use. Troopers are routinely telling stopped motorists, "Let me see your license, registration and radar detector" whether they have reason or not to suspect you are using a detector. If you respond that you do not have (or are not using) a radar detector, the trooper--if he has 'just cause' to believe you are lying--may ask to search your vehicle, opening the door to his discovery of ANYTHING of a questionable nature. This happened to me on I-95 in the infamous Virginia Tech corridor speed trap. Fortunately, I had locked my detector in the trunk of my car and had nothing to fear other than a citation for speeding (nine miles over the speed limit.) I refused his request to search my vehicle and he let me go without a search but WITH a speeding citation. A less than innocent motorist could have ended up in deep doo doo.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 15,594 times
Default Virginia's outdated and unfair laws

Buddy, The law wins, but you and many others do have the right not to spend your money when passing through Virginia. You certainly can think twice about vacationing in Virginia.

It's time for Virginia to get with the times. This issue is only one of many laws on the books in Virginia that simply shouldn't exist whether your a tourist of a resident of Virginia.

Virginia will allow just about anyone own a gun, which is legal, but the logic doesn't match up with the radar detector law. A radar detector is a passive device that doesn't have the potential to harm anyone. A gun is a non-passive device and has the potential to harm others in the hands of the wrong person.

Take the time to encourage others passing through the state to avoid spending money while passing through Virginia and the legislators in Virginia might just get the message. There are hundreds, if not thousands of web sites to spread the word. Simply ask others that feel the same to just stop spending your money in a state with unfair laws. I believe, Virginia is the only state in the US with the radar detector law. It's there to generate revenue. Don't be fooled by any other reason.

Virginia also has many unfair social laws, but this is not the forum to address those issues. Just pay the fine and join others in the fight to help Virginia become a fair state for all.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.ford248 View Post
Warning!! There's a new tactic used in Virginia regarding radar detector use. Troopers are routinely telling stopped motorists, "Let me see your license, registration and radar detector" whether they have reason or not to suspect you are using a detector. If you respond that you do not have (or are not using) a radar detector, the trooper--if he has 'just cause' to believe you are lying--may ask to search your vehicle, opening the door to his discovery of ANYTHING of a questionable nature. This happened to me on I-95 in the infamous Virginia Tech corridor speed trap. Fortunately, I had locked my detector in the trunk of my car and had nothing to fear other than a citation for speeding (nine miles over the speed limit.) I refused his request to search my vehicle and he let me go without a search but WITH a speeding citation. A less than innocent motorist could have ended up in deep doo doo.
If the LEO asks to search your vehicle, politely tell him/her "no." It is your right. If he had probably cause he wouldn't ask. Essentially they are fishing to see if they can get you for something.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
This is a very old thread, but I believe it's the 3 step rule of thumb. You have to have at least 3 steps before your radar detector is operable or else you're in trouble.

VA just shot down throwing removing the illegal use of radar detectors from the books. It's the only state in the nation where they are illegal still. It's just another way to generate more revenue, make no mistake about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: