Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 PM

9 posts, read 24,060 times

Advertisements

I am looking to emigrate to the State of Virginia but would like your advice on what city.

-I am currently working as an IT Consultant
-I am willing to commute an hour
-I have children private education
-I am looking for a safe and peaceful environment but still fairly near to shopping centers. I would like as low a crime rate as possible and somewhere with good schools.
-I could spend on a house maybe 400K+ on a house

Please give me as much information about the city as you can. I have been looking at cities like Alexandria and Virginia Beach which sound interesting. Is it right for me and my family? What's crime rates like? What's the education system like? Transport? And AS MUCH information as possible.

Descriptive and informative responses would be most appreciated and I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this thread.

If you need any further information about me please let me know

Thanks, Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,270 times
Default What city?

Hi from Hampton. Your first priority is to decide whether you want to live on the peninsula or the south side. They are like night and day. Hampton is only 20 miles away from Norfolk, but somethimes can take up to an hour one way due to traffic in the tunnels. Avoid living on one side and working on the other if at all possible. The bus system is awful in Hampton. Cannot elaborate on an open forum. Get a good real estate agent. Then sit in the neighborhood both at day and night. Be prepared for military jet noise no matter where you live. There are lots of family things to do and the trip to D.C. is not that bad depending when you go. Hampton has a great Christian School.
Hope this helps!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Useful thanks

Useful information, thanks. If anyone has further information PLEASE post, especially more information on Alexandria and Virginia Beach.
Thanks again and please keep posting whatever information you have

Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,348 times
Everything you describe falls under VA Beach basically..Sounds like the perfect place for you..definitely DON'T move to Hampton..

Old 12-04-2007, 12:39 AM

Could I ask why not Hampton? Just interested to know :-)

Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
If you're more in a mountain mood maybe Western Fauquier County???

Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
If you work in IT you'll find most of the major employers in eastern Loudoun and western Fairfax. I would strongly recommend living near where you work. Reston and Cascades are two nearby communities that fit your other requirements very well. Plenty has been written on both communities if you search through this forum.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkalex View Post
I am looking to emigrate to the State of Virginia but would like your advice on what city.

-I am currently working as an IT Consultant
-I am willing to commute an hour
-I have children private education
-I am looking for a safe and peaceful environment but still fairly near to shopping centers. I would like as low a crime rate as possible and somewhere with good schools.
-I could spend on a house maybe 400K+ on a house

Please give me as much information about the city as you can. I have been looking at cities like Alexandria and Virginia Beach which sound interesting. Is it right for me and my family? What's crime rates like? What's the education system like? Transport? And AS MUCH information as possible.

Descriptive and informative responses would be most appreciated and I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this thread.

If you need any further information about me please let me know

Thanks, Alex
i can really give you insight on Hampton, Alexandria, and Virginia Beach mainly b/c i've spent most of my life in the first two.

Hampton- Crime is slightly above average but way overblown. It's mostly a working-class blue collar city. The school system is so-so. No halfway decent public transportation system. One of the more affordable parts of Hampton Roads (HR is overall slightly more expensive than most of the country) . Personally i could see one or two parts as being alright for a family but i would guide singles to Hampton before families.

Alexandria- Crime is below average. More of a upper-class city. The school system has its critics but in most who use it really like it. Extensive public transportation. VERY expensive. This city can be a great fit for families.

Virginia Beach- One of the safest major cities in the country. A upper-middle-class city. One of the better major city school systems in the country. Bad public transportation. More expensive than Hampton but less expensive than Alexandria. Also a great fit for families.

If i had to pick one for a family i'd go with Virginia Beach. You should be able to find a good house in VA Beach or nearby Chesapeake for 400k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia