Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,353,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This doesn't make any sense. Richmond IS walkable. It's a great alternative to not being in Washington DC itself. Living in a car-centric suburb is far less preferable than urban Richmond.

Living in car-centric NoVA with a world-class attraction like the Arlington Cemetary? Yes, all the residents in NoVA living there to have easy access to that cemetery. Are you serious?

I could see the Arlington/Old Town being a COMPARABLE argument with Richmond. But it's a comparison, not a Richmond doesn't have anything walkable like Alexandria does, argument.
Ok so you clearly didn't read what I said. I said:

"It's not just DC..... NoVa has many attractions and the DC area is one of the few places in the United States to have dense/walkable suburbs."

I said suburbs and was talking about NoVa which is a suburb of DC. Richmond is not a suburb..... Richmond doesn't have anything walkable to the likes of Arlington, Old Town, etc.

Your Arlington Cemetary comment made no sense btw. I'm pretty serious also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Richmond doesn't have anything walkable to the likes of Arlington, Old Town, etc.
Yes, it does. Richmond is rich in walkable areas. It's a great city for walking around. Tons of amenities, with some very interesting neighborhoods.

Parts of it look much like the walkable neighborhoods of Washington DC.

EASILY, EASILY, Richmond would be 2nd to Washington DC, with Alexandria/Old Town a distant 3rd, and Arlington being an extremely distant fourth.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, it does. Richmond is rich in walkable areas. It's a great city for walking around. Tons of amenities, with some very interesting neighborhoods.

Parts of it look much like the walkable neighborhoods of Washington DC.

EASILY, EASILY, Richmond would be 2nd to Washington DC, with Alexandria/Old Town a distant 3rd, and Arlington being an extremely distant fourth.
Read, please.

IM TALKING ABOUT SUBURBS, Richmond is not a suburb. When I'm saying Richmond I'm talking about the Richmond area. I said the "DC area has dense/walkable suburbs." Richmond is not a suburb I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. Richmond doesn't have DENSE/WALKABLE suburbs like Old town, Arlington, etc.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Read, please.

IM TALKING ABOUT SUBURBS, Richmond is not a suburb. When I'm saying Richmond I'm talking about the Richmond area. I said the "DC area has dense/walkable suburbs." Richmond is not a suburb I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. Richmond doesn't have DENSE/WALKABLE suburbs like Old town, Arlington, etc.
I think everyone knows Richmond isn't a suburb. Old Town/Alexandria isn't a suburb either, nor is Arlington really.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I think everyone knows Richmond isn't a suburb. Old Town/Alexandria isn't a suburb either, nor is Arlington really.
Read. Again, read. This is something you clearly don't do.

I said the DC area has dense/walkable suburbs such as Arlington and Old Town. That Richmond doesn't have dense/walkable suburbs.

Nice try though. Lol.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:25 PM

97 posts, read 189,096 times
Um....If you're looking for suburbs where people bike to work, I don't think NoVa's what you're looking for....go to Charlottesville....the "urban ring" of Albemarle County which surrounds the City is probably the most bike-friendly suburb in Virginia. I was in Charlottesville for business over the summer for a week....I'd wager 10% of people bike to work and that includes a fair number from the suburbs. I'd take my chance on biking or walking to work from Albemarle rather than Fairfax or Arlington.

As to Richmond "suburbs" and walkability/biking/mixed use....ever heard of Innsbrook in Henrico? How about Ashland in Hanover County?

As to your thoughts on U.Va. admissions.....Henrico is in the top 10 Virginia localities for both U.Va. and William and Mary admissions....so the school system must be doing something right. Chesterfield is in the top for both schools as well. Both are in the Richmond area.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:42 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAbornandbred View Post
I think "NoVa" is a dated concept. 15 years ago and back...yes, it was very different from the entire "rest of Virginia." But I'd make the following argument: I think the Urban Crescent (NoVa, Richmond, Hampton Roads) has a lot more in common nowadays than differences in terms of socioeconomic measures and development.

As I've posted before, Richmond and Charlottesville are getting Wegmans stores. 10 years ago, "Wegmans" in Virginia meant NoVa. 15 years ago "Whole Foods" meant NoVa (and Charlottesville) when you talked about Virginia.

Honestly, is there that much difference in how someone in Fairfax County lives than how someone in Henrico, Albemarle, or Virginia Beach lives? I'd argue that the differences aren't that great when you look at media household income, health, school systems, etc. 15 years ago, sure, there was a pretty large gap. Now? Not really. Obviously, they don't have the same attractions that D.C. has. But in terms of everyday life, I just don't know that there's a big gap between those places and Fairfax County.
I see what you're trying to say but uh... Richmond, Hampton Roads and NoVA are honestly completely different worlds and a few new grocery stores don't really change that.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Um....If you're looking for suburbs where people bike to work, I don't think NoVa's what you're looking for....go to Charlottesville....the "urban ring" of Albemarle County which surrounds the City is probably the most bike-friendly suburb in Virginia. I was in Charlottesville for business over the summer for a week....I'd wager 10% of people bike to work and that includes a fair number from the suburbs. I'd take my chance on biking or walking to work from Albemarle rather than Fairfax or Arlington.

As to Richmond "suburbs" and walkability/biking/mixed use....ever heard of Innsbrook in Henrico? How about Ashland in Hanover County?

As to your thoughts on U.Va. admissions.....Henrico is in the top 10 Virginia localities for both U.Va. and William and Mary admissions....so the school system must be doing something right. Chesterfield is in the top for both schools as well. Both are in the Richmond area.
Uhhhhh the fact that you're trying to compare Ashland to Old Town or Arlington is pretty sad. That place is the country compared to Arlington especially, also innsbrook is equivalent to Lorton Station in Lorton. You're very funny to think that any suburb in Richmond is comparable to Arlington, Old Town, etc. Although from your previous post I can tell you're a lost cause and there's no changing your mind.

Good for Henrico.... Still doesn't change the fact that NoVa sends the most kids to both UVA and William & Mary.

Northern Virginia leads UVa, W&M admissions - News - The Daily Progress

It kind of seems like you're just pulling these so called facts from the sky.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:08 PM

97 posts, read 189,096 times
Oh really.

Well, here's the WaPo: VaBeach has the 3rd most kids at U.Va. and Henrico the 4th most...both ahead of Arlington and Alexandria. Are those "made up" facts?

Does U.Va have a quota for Northern Virginia admissions? - The Washington Post

Old 02-15-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Oh really.

Well, here's the WaPo: VaBeach has the 3rd most kids at U.Va. and Henrico the 4th most...both ahead of Arlington and Alexandria. Are those "made up" facts?

Does U.Va have a quota for Northern Virginia admissions? - The Washington Post
And who's number 1 and 2 right? Fairfax and Loudoun. Funny how you said Alexandria LMAO, you realize Alexandria is ONE high school right? TC Williams.

Also do the math:

Northern Virginia Schools:

Fairfax County: 2,574

Loudoun County: 602

Prince William County: 416

Arlington: 255

Alexandria: 216

Total: 4,063 students from NoVa attend UVA

Richmond Area Schools:

Henrico County: 460

Chesterfield County: 375

Total: 835

Charlottesville Area Schools:

Albemarle County: 360

Charlottesville: 236

Total: 596

Hampton Roads Schools:

Virginia Beach: 465
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia