Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 38,890 times

Advertisements

im fron NJ. last week i drove to texas and on the way got pulled over and was given a reckless driving tickets in va for doing 92 in a 65. It was the middle of the night, no cars on the road, and honestly in NJ 92 is close to how some people drive.

What should i do about this. i definitely cannot drive back down there for court? the trooper gave me this pink paper to send in and said they will send me the fine after the court date. is that all i should do? and then just pay the fine? what can i expect?

what happens if i just ignore it all completely? can i just not drive in va for the next 10 or so years?

please i need advice! should i just hire an attorney to show up for me??

thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 AM

941 posts, read 3,911,816 times
Show up for court and get a lawyer.

Virgina takes reckless driving very seriously.

IGNORE IT??? Am I hearing it right? What kind of time are you living in? You can't ignore it!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
im fron NJ. last week i drove to texas and on the way got pulled over and was given a reckless driving tickets in va for doing 92 in a 65. It was the middle of the night, no cars on the road, and honestly in NJ 92 is close to how some people drive.

What should i do about this. i definitely cannot drive back down there for court? the trooper gave me this pink paper to send in and said they will send me the fine after the court date. is that all i should do? and then just pay the fine? what can i expect?

what happens if i just ignore it all completely? can i just not drive in va for the next 10 or so years?

please i need advice! should i just hire an attorney to show up for me??

thanks so much!!
Pay the Ticket!!!
If not they will suspend your license...Promise.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:17 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Show up for court and get a lawyer.

Virgina takes reckless driving very seriously.

IGNORE IT??? Am I hearing it right? What kind of time are you living in? You can't ignore it!
No reason to get an Attorney$$$$...
Just pay the ticket!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 AM

941 posts, read 3,911,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
No reason to get an Attorney$$$$...
Just pay the ticket!
Uh...

I'd strongly advise it as he's out of state. Doing 92 in 65 is a guaranteed reckless, which is a criminal offense in Virgina. YOU MUST SHOW UP FOR COURT! Not a "pay and forget" situation here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...ng-ticket.html

This thread has a lot of good information. Read up on it.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Disregard all advice that is not consistent with that of FILMSNIFFER. Reckless driving is indeed a criminal offense in VA, and state guidelines call for jail time at 90 mph and above. There are indeed several other threads on reckless tickets in this forum and reading through them will be a very good way to get an idea of what you're in for. It won't be fun, but you can come out on the other side of this with minimal (though still significant) damage if you do it right. Otherwise, this is something that could very seriously mess up your life for a decade or so, so take it as a very serious matter. You will likely want to end up with an attorney in VA, but if you have or know one in NJ, talking there (very soon) about what to do next would be a good idea. Good luck with this...if you have some, your life may be back to something like normal around August or so...

Last edited by saganista; 04-18-2007 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-18-2007, 08:31 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,576 times
Definitely don't ignore it. At a minimum, call the court and see if there is just a fine you can pay and be done with it. However, if you do go to court, get an attorney to help you.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Please don't drive in Virginia any more, if you consider going 92 close to normal. (Yes, I know I will be accused of flaming, but I don't want to be on the road with drivers like that.)

Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
Definitely don't ignore it. At a minimum, call the court and see if there is just a fine you can pay and be done with it. However, if you do go to court, get an attorney to help you.
An appearance is mandatory. No mailing in the fine. You will need to get a continuance (not an excuse) and that will require a lawyer. There are no shortcuts. There are no easy ways out. If it is done right (as per some of the other threads), you can minimize the damage. That is the best-case scenario...

Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 PM

3 posts, read 38,890 times
There is no way i can drive 8 hrs back there for court. Can i just hire an attorney to go to court for me? i saw that thats possible on a website??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia