Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:49 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times

Advertisements

The Atlas is supposed to start arriving at dealerships this month.

Has anyone seen one and, if so, what are your impressions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 12:22 PM

I test-drove an Atlas yesterday and I think Volkswagen has a real winner.

Unlike most SUVs, the Atlas really does live up to the hype regarding seating for 7 adult-sized people without having to buy a full-size SUV like a Suburban or an Expedition, while also handling like a small SUV or CUV. The VR6 engine in the SE Technology trim I drove provided plenty of power for accelerating and passing while remaining relatively quiet and composed with very little effort and fuss. I especially like the fuel-saving, automatic start-stop feature on the engine when one comes to a complete stop at traffic lights. It is almost imperceptible.

The cabin was very quiet and it is possible to have a conversation with passengers in the third row without having to shout. The cabin has a somewhat upscale feeling and the leatherette seats are very comfortable and supportive.

This is definitely a serious road-trip vehicle, as well as a very comfortable and capable daily driver.

My only gripe is Volkswagen cannot produce these fast enough.

Any thoughts or questions???

Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Longest bumper to bumper warranty out there too. 6 year/72k miles.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Exactly.

It seems that VW is putting forth a real effort to atone for the "dieselgate" scandal.

With the warranty, I don't see a downside to giving VW a chance and buying an Atlas.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:01 PM

628 posts, read 838,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Exactly.

It seems that VW is putting forth a real effort to atone for the "dieselgate" scandal.

With the warranty, I don't see a downside to giving VW a chance and buying an Atlas.
except that vw might cheat on gas emissions as well

Old 02-13-2018, 08:45 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
They must be moving a lot of these Atlas units now, because I'm seeing them everywhere out in minivan-land where I live.

We checked one out a few weeks ago ourselves. Pretty nice! Not overly luxurious, but certainly functional with a slight german flare. I do think the second row could use a little sprucing up though, something feels void. I don't like how you have to pick either second-row captain or second row bench and be stuck with your choice. The captain option needs to have some kind of tray or something in between the seats, instead of just bare floor. Our 2013 Highlander has a genius setup where you can slide in a middle seat, or slide in a tray that clicks into place between the captain chairs. One is stored along the bottom inside of the front armrest for storage. That, is smart design, and the Atlas misses it in that regard. Otherwise, I think the Atlas is pretty darn compelling, and judging by how many I'm seeing now, seems like it's a pretty compelling choice by the masses as well.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
They must be moving a lot of these Atlas units now, because I'm seeing them everywhere out in minivan-land where I live.

We checked one out a few weeks ago ourselves. Pretty nice! Not overly luxurious, but certainly functional with a slight german flare. I do think the second row could use a little sprucing up though, something feels void. I don't like how you have to pick either second-row captain or second row bench and be stuck with your choice. The captain option needs to have some kind of tray or something in between the seats, instead of just bare floor. Our 2013 Highlander has a genius setup where you can slide in a middle seat, or slide in a tray that clicks into place between the captain chairs. One is stored along the bottom inside of the front armrest for storage. That, is smart design, and the Atlas misses it in that regard. Otherwise, I think the Atlas is pretty darn compelling, and judging by how many I'm seeing now, seems like it's a pretty compelling choice by the masses as well.
I know what you mean about having a tray between the two captain's chairs in the second row.

We had a tray between the two captain's chairs in our old Saturn Relay minivan. It could be locked in the tray position or folded down between the seats when not being used. Needless to say, it was a very convenient feature.

Back to the Atlas, after checking it out, which way are you leaning?

Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Oh I like it quite a bit, but I think the exterior styling needs something a little more unique. I saw the "R" version this morning, and that one looked properly dressed up in my opinion. Had that certain something to it. Might've been the wheels.

When we're ready to replace the Highlander, I suspect the Atlas will be right at the top of our list. We also looked at the Volvo XC90. I hate it, had a bad experience with our 2008 version prior to the Highlander. But, wife likes it more than the VW, but I think when it comes time to stroke the check, she won't like it $20,000 more, and I suspect by then the verdict will be in for reliability of a turbo-4 in a heavy SUV. The other contender is the Acura MDX. But more luxury than functionality for us and where we are in the raising the family timeline.

The Atlas is a tough one to beat, that's for sure. VW has something here with that one.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Oh I like it quite a bit, but I think the exterior styling needs something a little more unique. I saw the "R" version this morning, and that one looked properly dressed up in my opinion. Had that certain something to it. Might've been the wheels.

When we're ready to replace the Highlander, I suspect the Atlas will be right at the top of our list. We also looked at the Volvo XC90. I hate it, had a bad experience with our 2008 version prior to the Highlander. But, wife likes it more than the VW, but I think when it comes time to stroke the check, she won't like it $20,000 more, and I suspect by then the verdict will be in for reliability of a turbo-4 in a heavy SUV. The other contender is the Acura MDX. But more luxury than functionality for us and where we are in the raising the family timeline.

The Atlas is a tough one to beat, that's for sure. VW has something here with that one.
I'm glad to hear it.

The only reason we didn't purchase one was that we felt it was more vehicle than we needed. So, we waited until the new Tiguan came out and test-drove one. We found it to be a better fit for our family and bought one in the SEL Premium 4Motion trim instead of an Atlas.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:30 AM

46 posts, read 44,181 times
Fugly. Bloated. Ungainly. Just what this country needs: another SUV. I love VW, but can’t stand these big SUV’s. I’d much rather see them bring back the Passat wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen