Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:14 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies!

Wow, thats sad to hear about the mechanicals of these cars. Thats a shame, because I think they are really nice looking cars. I wonder if the newer 2006+ models are proving to be any better? I guess time will tell.

Seems like I should stray away from one now, as I am not really in the position at this moment for costly repairs.

I have considered Accords/Camrys (1990-1999 range in general), as I have owned several in the past and had really good luck... especially with the early 1990 models. We will see.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 12:24 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Wow, thats sad to hear about the mechanicals of these cars. Thats a shame, because I think they are really nice looking cars. I wonder if the newer 2006+ models are proving to be any better? I guess time will tell.

Seems like I should stray away from one now, as I am not really in the position at this moment for costly repairs.

I have considered Accords/Camrys (1990-1999 range in general), as I have owned several in the past and had really good luck... especially with the early 1990 models. We will see.

Thanks again!
1987-1991, and the 1992-1996 Camry's are downright bulletproof. Starting in 1997, they started having problems. Engine sludge, oil leaks, and blown gaskets are common. Stay way from any Camry made after 1997.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:47 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
I had a 2002 B5.5 1.8T. Great car after I got it chipped. Otherwise, the turbo is a turd and scarry from a dead stop if you have to pull out in front of traffic quickly.

If you go the 1.8T route, if the oil wasn't changed often and didn't change to synthetic, a lot of people had issues with sludge. The turbo just generates too much heat for regular dino oil. The sludge causes the oil return to clog up thus starving the engine resulting in failure. I had this issue on my 1.8T at 38k miles (second owner) but the oil pump was replaced under warranty.

With a few mods (well, a LOT of mods LOL), it was a great performing and looking car! Damn, I miss that car sometimes!

Passatworld.com is the best Passat forum with lots of great info.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:13 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I had a 2002 B5.5 1.8T. Great car after I got it chipped. Otherwise, the turbo is a turd and scarry from a dead stop if you have to pull out in front of traffic quickly.

If you go the 1.8T route, if the oil wasn't changed often and didn't change to synthetic, a lot of people had issues with sludge. The turbo just generates too much heat for regular dino oil. The sludge causes the oil return to clog up thus starving the engine resulting in failure. I had this issue on my 1.8T at 38k miles (second owner) but the oil pump was replaced under warranty.

With a few mods (well, a LOT of mods LOL), it was a great performing and looking car! Damn, I miss that car sometimes!

Passatworld.com is the best Passat forum with lots of great info.
I will agree that it is a beautiful car, especially being black with the rims. I just would not want to have to maintain it.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
1987-1991, and the 1992-1996 Camry's are downright bulletproof. Starting in 1997, they started having problems. Engine sludge, oil leaks, and blown gaskets are common. Stay way from any Camry made after 1997.
Yeah, I owned two 1987 Camrys (plain, base models) and a 1993 LE V6. Loved them all. Yeah, hear bad things about the 1997+.

Accords are the same way. Engines are OK on all, but after 1997, starting in 1998, they had transmission issues. Seems like the 1997-98 redesign of Camrys/Accords really did a # on them. Interior materials got cheaper as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
I know nothing about the working stuff of cars. I had a Mazda 626 for ten years and never did more than routine maintenance. In 2000 I got this "99 Passat because I liked it, it was German and that meant good car to me, and it was the car of the year around that time. It is a great car to drive but it has cost a fortune. Every little plastic bit that has to be replaced is expensive--the knob to adjust the side windows for instance--and those little bits break not like the Mazda which never had anything break off. The last two times it was in for regular maintenance--yearly--and with about 65,000 m. it cost $1500 each time with the repairs to engine. Since I don't know engines I can't tell you what it was but he put a screwdriver near this thing and it went right through the metal--completely corroded. (The dealership is trustworthy.) Never again.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I know nothing about the working stuff of cars. I had a Mazda 626 for ten years and never did more than routine maintenance. In 2000 I got this "99 Passat because I liked it, it was German and that meant good car to me, and it was the car of the year around that time. It is a great car to drive but it has cost a fortune. Every little plastic bit that has to be replaced is expensive--the knob to adjust the side windows for instance--and those little bits break not like the Mazda which never had anything break off. The last two times it was in for regular maintenance--yearly--and with about 65,000 m. it cost $1500 each time with the repairs to engine. Since I don't know engines I can't tell you what it was but he put a screwdriver near this thing and it went right through the metal--completely corroded. (The dealership is trustworthy.) Never again.
well a friend of mine owns a 2000 passat, it was given to him by his aunt. i drive a 2007 audi a3, and another friend of mine (who says i copied him) drives a 2006 a4, all from the volkswagen parent company, and the passat owner has had a fairly good time with his car with parts, the cheap plastic is DEFINITELY something to beware of, his climate control is worn and so are the radio buttons, but other than that, the luxuriousness of the 2000 passat interior is at the same level of the 2008 a4, just older. it has the same amenities, it has the same leather type, it has the same features, for 10 years old the passat is an EXCELLENT car.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Has anyone here ever had or have a 1998-2000 VW Passat or know someone with one? If so, what was your experience with it? I have always liked these cars. I am kinda thinking of one (automatic), because I am giving my mother my Lexus LS400 and I will need another car as my work car, because I want to keep the miles down on my Mercedes and dont like driving my old cars to work.

I really dont want a Jetta... to small for me. I know these Passats had different engine options... so also wondering which was the best engine?

I am considering other vehicles as well, so this is not a definite.

Thanks.
My understanding is that that particular vintage of Passats had a lot of problems - particularly the 1.8T engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen