Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,311 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide if purchasing new construction in the Maple Lawn community in Fulton right now is a good financial decision, given what appears to be a long-standing decline in the value and sales price of single family homes in that development. it does nit seem to be keeping step with Clarksville or even the rest of Fulton. We priced out a 5100 total square foot home (including finished basement and attic) with the builder on a sizable lot for about $930,000, which a few years ago would seem fine but now we're seeing houses still underwater and resales struggling to be sold despite multiple drops in price. Would our appraisal even come close after we've built? What are residents saying about their decision to purchase there? Is there an upswing on the horizon? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
Maple Lawn from what I am hearing is still a good investment. There are builders still building out there and the Retail part is still under construction as well. Maple Lawn was built during the recession so it should be further than what it is now. Also with the ICC near completion, BRAC, and other development in Columbia and Laurel, Maple Lawn is a good investment. Not to mention it is in Howard County, home of the best schools. You should be fine.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
If your going to spend that much on a home, I would place it an area with comparably priced homes surrounding it like Clarksville or Glenwood.

To me, Maple Lawn still looks out-of-place. It is a dense expensive development surrounded by farmland and lower-priced homes. I don't think a $930K home there is a good investment. Honestly, I think Glenwood is a far more attractive area.

Obviously the PP has a different opinion.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I am not a realtor, but I suspect the upper end homes that hold their value more will have more acreage. I sampled a few homes in the 800K-1M range on Realtor, and they do not seem to have lost as much value as homes in Maple Lawn. A few built in the 90's have increased in sales price.

I think there is great value in having the privacy of 2-3 acres, as some listings do in Clarksville. There is a trendiness (or political correctness) in having densely packed homes as in Maple Lawn, but I think it is hard to sell to an upper-income consumer.

I agree that BRAC and the ICC will bring more consumers to look at Maple Lawn, however, most of them will not have the income to buy an 800K-1M homes.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,311 times
This is OP. Thank you for the feedback. To answer my other questions, can anyone with direct experience with Maple Lawn provide insights on whether recent appraisals have met sales prices for new construction (not resales)? Also, what are residents and locals saying about the housing prices? Any insider sense of why the resales stats are below Clarksville, even though Maple Lawn is apparently such a desired development? Thank you.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:05 PM

207 posts, read 432,499 times
$930,000 seems quite steep for the neighborhood in all honesty. I don't see that as the best return on investment. That's in the top 1-5% of the market in the North Laurel/Fulton area. It will be hard to sell being the most expensive and luxurious home on the block. I second Clarksville, it's more affluent and more established. The public school system in Clarksville is rated higher than Fulton, which is a big factor for resale in the DC/Baltimore area. Clarksville has a better long term outlook for an investment.

Last edited by PGC Native; 06-23-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland