Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM

19 posts, read 69,063 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a senior nursing student graduating in May that just got assigned to Andrews AFB. I'm very excited, but need some guidance on an appropriate area to live in. I'm 29, single with no children, so I don't want to be stuck in the suburbs with a bunch of married families. I don't want to have to commute more than 20 min to the base. Please offer any suggestions that you have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 05:31 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,089,178 times
a) do you have a car?
b) what is your housing budget?

Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 PM

I don't have a car right now, but I will definitely get one before I arrive. I believe my housing allowance will be about $1550, so I hope I can find a nice 1 bedroom apt for no more than that.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:06 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
As you probably know, Andrews AFB is Southeast of DC. By most accounts you don't want to live in Southeast DC across the Anacostia river. Keeping your commute to 20 minutes is the big variable in your situation. You could undoubtedly find suitable housing in Alexandria (Northern Virginia) and take the 495 Beltway over to Andrews, although i'm not sure what kind of commute timewise that would be. Technically, Alexandria is considered a suburb, albeit a fairly trendy suburb with a sizeable young professionals population. If you're inclined to avoid the suburbs completely, then you'll have to seek out a DC neighborhood that suits your tastes. In my judgement, you may be hard pressed to keep the commute down to 20 minutes though. If you get an apartment in DC proper, you could take the Green Line Metro Rail to the Branch Avenue station and probably take a bus for the remainder of the trip to Andrews. I think your options increase exponentially if you're willing to accept a slightly longer commute time.

Maybe others can provide better input for your situation. Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 PM

I guess I'm being unreasonable with a 20 minute commute huh? I don't necessarily mind being "in the suburbs", what I mean when I say that is I want to be around other young, single people like my self, not married couples with children. So having said that, what are some areas in Maryland, DC, or even Virginia that meet that criteria. BTW, I spoke to my recruiter and he said my housing allowance is actually $1660, giving me a little more to work with

Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
With that kind of allowance, you should have no problem finding a good place to live in a good neighborhood in DC with the young, single professionals scene you are seeking. I personally live just over the DC line in Maryland, so i'll leave it to others to throw out a few neighborhoods for you to consider.

Regarding the commute, keep in mind that in DC-terms, commute is not relative to miles, but instead minutes. I just wanted to throw that out there because in some cities a 20-minute commute could theoretically mean a 15-20 mile drive on the interstate. In DC, 20 minutes may equate to less than a mile in rush hour on the interstates. Crazy I know, but it's true.

In my situation, I drive to the Metro rail station via a couple of unclogged neighborhood roads, park, and ride the rail to downtown DC. From door to door, it takes about 35 minutes or so to get to work. My commute is very easy and stress free. Find you a place near the Metro rail station you'll add years to your life not stressing out over traffic!

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Thanks so much! This will be my first time to this area, I know nothing about the various neighborhoods, so I really appreciate any suggestions.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:03 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,089,178 times
I'd look at neighborhoods like Eastern Market, Barracks Row, Navy Yard, Capitol Hill, Near SW, or possibly even the Penn Quarter or Chinatown. These are the closest 'hip' areas of DC to live. Many singles, young people, a few places to hang out, etc. From there to Andrews is not a bad commute (it's a reverse commute, going against traffic, out the Suitland Parkway, probably less than 20 minutes or so). From the first neighborhoods listed it's actually quite easy--hop up on the freeway or South Capitol Street and it's about 10-15 minutes and maybe 5 or 6 stop lights once you get over the Anacostia River. Not bad.

This is actually quite a common question if you search the forums for 'Andrews' or 'AFB' you'll find some other posts. Also search the Washington DC forums as people post there as well.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM

I looked around on the forums and I think I'm going to go with either Arlington or Alexandria, VA. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go visit the area before I actually move there to be sure I'll like it. Thanks again for your suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland