Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:37 PM

109 posts, read 341,848 times

Advertisements

We are living in Forest Hill, MD, in Harford County, right off the intersection of Rt. 1 and Hwy 24.

I am contemplating applying for graduate school at the U of MD, College Park. That is the only location that offers my program.

I'm thinking through options for getting there every day. I've heard that I-95 to there will take me up to two hours each way in traffic, or more if there's a wreck. The train from Edgewood, MD is an option, but I would have to switch in D.C. at Union Station to the Metro, and then from there who knows -- it seems like a really big place?

I guess I'm thoroughly overwhelmed by all the options, but also noticing that none of them seem that good.

Would like to hear anyone's suggestions on routes.

~Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default I-95

Sorry, I-95 is your only realistic choice. You can train it but it will kill you.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 PM

22 posts, read 170,923 times
The commute will kill you too, unless you're traveling in the middle of the day or late evening, in which case it will only raise your blood pressure but not kill you.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
MARC Edgewood to Penn Station; transfer to Light Rail; from Penn Station to Camden Station; transfer to MARC Camden Line; from Camden Station to College Park Metro; transfer to Univ of MD Shuttle bus to the Student Union.

NOTE: Not all Camden Line trains stop at College Park. In this situation, take MARC Camden Line to Greenbelt; transfer to Greenbelt Metro; from Greenbelt to College Park.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:47 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default Commuting time

Dude -- What is your guesstimate for time spent in that scenario?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Why do you think Harford County doesn't offer more direct transportation to that area? Is the growth here that recent, that it took them by surprise, or was it a concious attempt to try and keep out growth?

Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Dude -- What is your guesstimate for time spent in that scenario?
It's an option. It's not for me to decide whether it's unreasonable. Imo, there are no good commuting options.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM

22 posts, read 170,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyFavers View Post
Why do you think Harford County doesn't offer more direct transportation to that area? Is the growth here that recent, that it took them by surprise, or was it a concious attempt to try and keep out growth?
I'd say that 'they' (whomever that refers to) probably assume that most people that move to Harford County, move there to raise kiddos and are most likely as far in the education as they will go. And it's not like it's a short distance from Harford County to UMD that is just poorly connected, they're pretty far from each other.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,376 times
Any online programs available?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 AM

OK thanks, everyone. No, there are no online programs that would let me attend for free by having a Graduate Assistantship -- which was the only way I was going to go.

I think I will just work my way up through the library system here without the MLIS. Maybe someday I'll spring for an online program.

When my husband moved us here, I had no idea how ISOLATED Harford County was going to be. At least there's two places to get sushi now... when we moved here there were none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland