Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,244,315 times

Advertisements

They're blocking now the escalators. They congregate at the bottum and don't even realize they are going to get someone killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,126 times
They do that every year--it is most infuriating.

I had this exchange recently with a fanny pack-bedecked patriarch of a tourist family out on 7th Street (seriously, this isn't embellished):

Man (looking south on 7th, towards the Mall): Excuse me, where is the Smithsonian?
Me: Which one are you looking for?
Man: The Smithsonian Museum.
Me: Well, there isn't really a Smithsonian Museum. There are a number of them. Which one were you interested in?
Man: I don't know. What do they have?
Me: Well, there's about 15 of them. Air and Space is pretty popular, so is the American History museum.
Man: We don't really care which one, but where are they located?
Me: Many of them are around the Mall.
Man: Where's the Mall?
Me: Well, you're pretty much looking at it. Just keep walking south down 7th Street for a few blocks, and you'll get to it.
Man: So, it's that big building down there?
Me: What? No! The NATIONAL Mall, the big park--it's not a buildng.
Man: Oh, yes, right. OK, that's where we'll go then. Thanks.
(Proceeds to turn north with family and walk towards Chinatown.)

You gotta love it.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 AM

27,614 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
They do that every year--it is most infuriating.

I had this exchange recently with a fanny pack-bedecked patriarch of a tourist family out on 7th Street (seriously, this isn't embellished):

Man (looking south on 7th, towards the Mall): Excuse me, where is the Smithsonian?
Me: Which one are you looking for?
Man: The Smithsonian Museum.
Me: Well, there isn't really a Smithsonian Museum. There are a number of them. Which one were you interested in?
Man: I don't know. What do they have?
Me: Well, there's about 15 of them. Air and Space is pretty popular, so is the American History museum.
Man: We don't really care which one, but where are they located?
Me: Many of them are around the Mall.
Man: Where's the Mall?
Me: Well, you're pretty much looking at it. Just keep walking south down 7th Street for a few blocks, and you'll get to it.
Man: So, it's that big building down there?
Me: What? No! The NATIONAL Mall, the big park--it's not a buildng.
Man: Oh, yes, right. OK, that's where we'll go then. Thanks.
(Proceeds to turn north with family and walk towards Chinatown.)

You gotta love it.
Next time, tell them that if they stray even a little from the area between the Capitol and the Monument, then they will be lost forever.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:16 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
They need to have riot police at the escalators instructing them how to use one.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM

244 posts, read 626,109 times
Yes they are the dumbest...the president's speech last night was at the 10th grade level and was criticized as being to difficult for the average citizen to comprehend.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,795,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
They need to have riot police at the escalators instructing them how to use one.
Amen!

I usually try to ignore it, but once I tried to slide by, with the requisite smile and excuse me, and the lady became confused. I gave her a lecture on how its best for people to stand to the right and walk on the left, just like one does on a highway. Slow lane right, pass on the left. Is it really that nebulous?

No doubt they returned to Hooterville with stories of the know it all city slicker.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
They're blocking now the escalators. They congregate at the bottum and don't even realize they are going to get someone killed.
betamanlet,
Normally I agree with your posts, but tourists bring tourist dollars that DC desperately needs to stay afloat. Everyone should keep that in mind.
And the term "mall" is confusing to some people -- they associate it with a shopping mall, not an expanse of grass.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 AM

605 posts, read 2,161,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Last night I went to board the down escalators at McPherson Square. A mother and child parked themselves in the middle of a riser on one of the two escalators. Commuters had been queuing evenly for the two escalators until this pair boarded. The line then immediately and silently shifted to the one escalator that was not blocked.

That said, I can remember some rather dense tourists from my childhood. I was stopped several times on Wisconsin Avenue in Cathedral Heights by folks who could not locate the Washington National Cathedral. Usually they figured it out after I encouraged them to glance slightly upwards.

And Amen to the suggestion that we force folks to move away from the bottoms of escalators! That said, when I briefly lived abroad as a student, I could spot the American tourists because they were the ones stopped dead in an impenetrably cluster at the terminus of nearly every escalator.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,795,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
betamanlet,
Normally I agree with your posts, but tourists bring tourist dollars that DC desperately needs to stay afloat. Everyone should keep that in mind.
And the term "mall" is confusing to some people -- they associate it with a shopping mall, not an expanse of grass.
Nobody anywhere "likes" tourist, but we all are at times. So fair statement.

Still, if you are visiting a place, would it not be prudent to maybe read a bit about it and thus discover that the National Mall is not DC's version of the Galleria Hooterville? The original meaning of Mall is indeed something akin to an expanse of grass. Words often have multiple meanings.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 AM

27,614 posts, read 28,714,640 times
I welcome all the tourists to the DC area. The more the better. They should flood this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC