Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,066 times

Advertisements

Hey all:

I've lived on U street for a few years now and sold my condo recently. Decided to buy a row home in a nice community with promise and the chance of a great investment. I'm considering a move to the Park View/East Columbia Heights area (Rock Creek Road, west of New Hampshire and Georgia Ave), but not really sure what the neighborhood is like and what it will be in a few years. I'm totally comfortable with U street and haven't spent any time in this area while living in DC...most I've explored was shopping in Tivoli area and some nightlife/eating on 11th street such as Wonderland and Red Rocks.

Greatly appreciate any feedback. My second option is a condo(half of a row home) in Ledroit, which is more pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 AM

136 posts, read 578,823 times
Are you saying it is on Rock Creek Church Road? Or just in that general vicinity?

I live in Petworth and I like it but it will definitely be different than living on U street.

There is a lot of stuff coming into the Parkview/Petworth/CH neighborhoods so I think that in the next 5-10 years they will look totally different.

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with half a row home condo (especially for more money) but that is just me.

However, I haven't spent much time in LeDroit so can't really compare the neighborhoods. I know that many people prefer LeDroit because of the housing stock but others like Petworth/Parkview because you can get more house for your money.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,066 times
Thx..yes its where Rock Creek Road intersects with New Hampshire, just above Park Road and where Sherman ends. Hope that helps...

Old 05-24-2010, 12:06 PM

136 posts, read 578,823 times
I think I know which house you are looking at If it is the one I think I actually looked at it before it was renovated.

I like the location and you are very close all the action in CH and the new development in Petworth. In terms of amenities/things you have a lot of options. Plus, you are about a 3 minute metro ride to U street.

Again, I can't really speak to the investment potential of LeDroit vs. CH/Parkview but I like living in Petworth.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM

228 posts, read 920,326 times
I'm actually moving from Ledroit (well, Bloomingdale) to Petworth near the metro. I think that the neighborhoods are comparable in a lot of ways, but somehow Petworth has a bit more energy, and more potential for interesting development. So I'd say it's a good choice.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM

63 posts, read 244,600 times
What parts of Petworth, Bloomingdale, and Ledroit should I be looking at renting?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie86 View Post
What parts of Petworth, Bloomingdale, and Ledroit should I be looking at renting?
Not sure what is meant by "what parts". Are you looking for specific streets?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM

63 posts, read 244,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Not sure what is meant by "what parts". Are you looking for specific streets?
Well, I've read that each of the above neighborhoods has its "patches" of rough parts. Looking for more of a general area to either avoid or look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC