Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM

40 posts, read 152,050 times

Advertisements

YAY! Just wanted to update you guys that helped me forever ago. We got news today that we will be moving to DC! Actually, it wasn't me that got the job. It was my girlfriend who got a totally different gig.

Thanks all for you help. Now, there so many things to do in the next month, we have to be there in about 30 days.

Anything else that would be helpful to know about moving there? I think we've pinpointed the Arlington area, near Rosslyn, or over around Clarendon/Ballston.

We are also considering Pentagon/Crystal cities.

My girlfriend will probably take a trip there in 2 weeks to confirm that we are OK with those areas.

Do you all know of any rentals that might not be well-publicized via online sources?

Thanks again! So excited. Forget butterflies, I have pterodactyls in my stomach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 PM

465 posts, read 928,495 times
I hate Arlington. Crystal/Pentagon city is soulless, although amenities are plenty. Ballston to Courthouse area (including Clarendon) is just so mind numbingly homogenous. Think lots of generic bro-ey and post-sorority white people who wear too many pastel polos, plaid, or brown flip flops.

Sure, they're physically more attractive than the hordes of ugly transplants and natives in DC, but people there are very generic/color-by-numbers. If you're anything like me and like your people a bit weird/eccentric/nerdy, find a gentrifying neighborhood in DC or look at Fairfax/Rockville.

But hey, if you're obsessed with bros, beer, and football, enjoy Arlington all you want.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Well, I certainly wouldn't say I was into that stuff after a review like that, haha. But thanks, that helps a lot. The same homogeneity is in effect here, except you can substitute "frat/sorority" types for hipsters.

I don't care about that kind of stuff. But I do care that I can relate to people, and I'm nothing like that, so it gives me something to think about. I am sure there are elements like that to a degree anywhere, but reflecting on what I see in SF, I can see how trends can hit a place and quickly become overbearing.

Does anyone else have the same sentiment about Rockville/Fairfax being a possible option?

Thanks all for the candid input

Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
yrb

91 posts, read 220,355 times
1 bedroom near a metro station in Arlington would be at least a few hundreds more than $1800, if it's a good building. And that would not include parking or any utilities.

Check out Columbia Pike, no metro station, but very well connected by bus, less bros, more Hispanics
Could be a little cheaper

Rockville/Fairfax are crapholes

Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,714 times
I hate Fairfax/Rockville. Its just a bunch of wanna-be's who cant afford to live in DC proper, hanging around smoking pot and talking about the benefits of not showering more than once a week. Its just so mind numbingly homogenous. The hordes of ugly tree hugging weirdos who can barely keep a job are enough to drive you crazy.

But hey, if you like tofu burgers, weird smells and low income neighbors, go for it.

Just kidding of course. Everywhere sucks, just pick a place and you'll be happy,.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:20 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Oh brother some of yall are over thinking.
I love Arlington. I loathe cliche stricken blanket statements.

Clarendon is my fav Arlington neighborhood. There's plenty of shops like Barnes and Noble, the Apple store, Whole Foods within walking distance. It is very high end though and expensive. If you can swing $1800 you should be able to find a 1 bedroom. However, there are cheaper areas of Arlington.

Ballston is an alternative to Clarendon. Still expensive but you might save a $100 or so.

As far as Arlington being the land of bros and such. Well it can be if you let it. I know plenty of people who live or have lived in that part of Arlington and none of them are collar popping "bros". Also if we're 30 or fixin' to turn 30, do we really have time to worry such trifle things? Clarendon has appeal not because of the frat types because there's so much going on within walking distance. Also ALL of Arlington is not like this. As mention south Arlington is totally different. It has an urban lite feel. There are more people of color and its cheaper.

I really like the Westover area. Its cute has a couple stores and restaurants no chains except the 7-11 and Rite Aid. Very quiet. No metro though but there's a good bus line. You will learn that getting a place away from the metro will save you lots of $$$$.

I love Columbia Pike. Its interesting and there are so many buses that its almost like being connected to the metro. Try to get something close to the corner of Walter Reed and Columbia Pike. You can walk to an el-cheapo movie theater, restaurants, a grocery store, two drug stores. You'll still need to drive to the liquor store though.

Shirlington is a nice alternative to Clarendon. There's lots of shops over a dozen restaurants, a grocery store, artsy movie theater, a theatre for plays, and a library. Instead of a metro stop there's an indoor bus connector with express buses to the Pentagon. In the summer the place is popping with folks trying to grab that last table outside. Really great place.

Pentagon City/Crystal City. I'm not a fan of this area because its more a business center than neighborhood. With the exception of one block of bars and restaurants and the huge mall its pretty dead after 6:00 but you can zip into the city.

Honestly I wonder if you might be more suited for Old Town Alexandria. It has lots of bars and restaurants but it has a more polished feel than Clarendon and Courthouse. There's fewer collar popping partying and it is indeed old and historic.

As far as Fairfax and Rockville. Well they're not crapholes! How snobbish and elitist to think such sillyness. They're basic middle class suburbs. Which doesn't sound like what you're looking for. To Rockville's credit there is a town center type downtown which is very shiny and new. Fairfax has one as well. The Fair Oaks area has lots of restaurants and the second largest mall in the state. So there are places to eat and drink but again just basic suburbia.

Last edited by terrence81; 02-24-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
LOL. This might be the least helpful thread on city-data (minus Terrence's post of course). The OP may as well have asked "So what kinds of ridiculous stereotypes are there of the various parts of the DC area?"

You said this in your first post:

Quote:
We live in the San Francisco area, we like the convenience of the city, but we don't have to be in the middle of the action - I actually prefer to be more isolated. We also don't want to be out in the burbs, as we are now in Fremont, and are feeling older than our years.
That description fits Arlington like a glove. Not quite urban, not quite suburban, you can do all of your shopping/dining/partying without ever going into the District, but you're right across the river when you want to. DC also has some pretty quiet areas that are close to the action but rather sleepy most of the time - neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Kalorama.

All of these places are expensive. At $1800, you should be able to squeeze into any of the areas mentioned - but don't expect a nice new unit.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 AM

Also one alternative to the expensive aforementioned neighborhoods would be an apartment complex away from the metro in south Arlington or Alexandria that has a free shuttle to the metro. You'll get a lot more space for the money and an apartment for under $1500 versus going to the top of your budget. Keep in mind that some apartments charge for parking.

Another cheap alternative is renting out someone's basement. You get way less sunlight but you get more space for the money. A few months ago someone made me an offer of $1200 for a basement unit in Ballston what a steal but I decided to move elsewhere to be closer to work. Of course 3 weeks after moving closer to work I got transfered to another office. Murphy's Law I suppose. I miss Arlington.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
LOL. This might be the least helpful thread on city-data (minus Terrence's post of course). The OP may as well have asked "So what kinds of ridiculous stereotypes are there of the various parts of the DC area?"

You said this in your first post:

That description fits Arlington like a glove. Not quite urban, not quite suburban, you can do all of your shopping/dining/partying without ever going into the District, but you're right across the river when you want to. DC also has some pretty quiet areas that are close to the action but rather sleepy most of the time - neighborhoods like Capitol Hill and Kalorama.

All of these places are expensive. At $1800, you should be able to squeeze into any of the areas mentioned - but don't expect a nice new unit.
Ah shucks thanks. You make me blush.

That's exactly what I loved about Arlington. I never considered myself a true suburbanite in Arlington.

Capitol Hill is awesome. Perhaps my future home if I ever take the plunge and officially cross the Potomac permanently. It is indeed quiet at night but you have plenty of shops, bars and restaurants within walking distance for the same prices as Clarendon and Ballston. However, if you have a car keep in mind that your car insurance will go up.

Kalorama is awful for parking. Not recommended if you have a car. At the same time it is quiet but you're walking distance to all the action in Adams Morgan. But the quiet convenience is not cheap.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Thank you for such detailed, informative posts. Lots of great info to consider.

We have experience with intermodal transport - walk>bus/shuttle>train, and it can get annoying trying to time things. It gives us something to consider:
Is direct metro access really worth the primo rents to us. It's sound like the areas are great any way, it's not like part of the trip is through a bad area (like with my last work commute walking 8 blocks through the Mission, an unsavory area in SF.) That was out major concern, so it's seeming like it's boiling down to the convenience-premium.

One good thing is, I have a deal with my current job to work remote for a transitional period of 3 months, so really, the specifics of the commute are not all that important for me to start. But eventually I will probably want to leave my apartment, lol.

Alexandria:
Also a renewed option, we were thinking it was a bit too sleepy/old school (and seeking change like we are that was a big no-no), but it seems like that's incorrect and we should reassess. Thank you. Would this be around the King City stop you are thinking about, or somewhere else?

So much to think about. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC