Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:08 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times

Advertisements

THE GOOD

Well educated and well traveled residents. Great conversations result in bars, black-tie receptions, and meet-ups.

The weather in DC during April-May and September-October is heaven on Earth.

Fun excursions to the Atlantic beaches, the Appalachian mountains, the Chesapeake Bay, and parks in the city.

Booming business activity thanks to never-ending federal government dollars flooding the region. You have to be a complete loser NOT to find a decent job here.

WMATA availability by rail and bus in The City and the suburbs.

Washington Capitals hockey.

THE BAD

DC attracts the snobby, hard-to-please Type A people. They make life hell for kind, patient, and less-assertive people.

You are judged by your resume and where you went to college when you go out on dates and try to make new friends.

Restaurants are subpar compared to NYC, SF, Chicago, New Orleans, LA and even Philly.

Too many chain restaurants and retail shops.

The cost of using public transportation is getting ridiculous.

Gentrification. White people conquer Black and Hispanic people. Money uber alles. DC loses culture and soul as the town evolves into White Wonkotopia.

Do a Google search about weather patterns on the Planet Venus and that describes June-August weather in DC. Pure Swampy Hell on Earth.

Washington Redskins football.

THE UGLY

The extreme wealth inequality between the rich and poor; white and black in The District. Wards 3 and 8 are on completely different planets.

Hatred towards DC school teachers, government workers and Ward 7 and 8 residents: otherwise known as white racism against black people.

The cost of real estate can break household budgets. Buyers and renters are paying waaaaaaaay too much for property in this city.

Washington Nationals baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Right, because not liking the way something is being run = racist right?

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 PM

35 posts, read 56,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Right, because not liking the way something is being run = racist right?
Things are often "not run well" because they don't get adequate funding. If DC schools were majority white they would be drowning in money.

Lets get serious.

Last edited by Biggest Baller; 10-01-2010 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Mistake

Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Baller View Post
Things are often "not run well" because they don't get adequate funding. If DC schools were majority white they would be drowning in money.

Lets get serious.
DCPS spends $11,193 per student.
Research Center: Per-pupil Expenditures Approaching $10,000

Fairfax County spends $12,597 per student
Fairfax County Public Schools - Statistics

You really think that $1,400 makes such a huge difference? In that case kids in the state of Vermont should trounce kids from Fairfax since Vermont spends an even bigger difference.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:54 PM

35 posts, read 56,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
DCPS spends $11,193 per student.
Research Center: Per-pupil Expenditures Approaching $10,000

Fairfax County spends $12,597 per student
Fairfax County Public Schools - Statistics

You really think that $1,400 makes such a huge difference? In that case kids in the state of Vermont should trounce kids from Fairfax since Vermont spends an even bigger difference.
Sounds like corruption to me. Clearly the students at DCPS are not seeing that money. I'm sure having schools situated in crappy neighborhoods is part of it. Good teachers wont go near those schools.

It might be a problem that can't be fixed because most "bad areas" were good at one time. Once minorties start moving in... whites start moving out. As a result prices drop and "ghetto people" start moving in. Then all the middle class people (including minorities) move out as well. Prices drop further and the place becomes hell.

It stems from whites only wanting to live around other whites. Its a sad pattern that never ends.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
THE GOOD

Well educated and well traveled residents. Great conversations result in bars, black-tie receptions, and meet-ups.

The weather in DC during April-May and September-October is heaven on Earth.

Fun excursions to the Atlantic beaches, the Appalachian mountains, the Chesapeake Bay, and parks in the city.

Booming business activity thanks to never-ending federal government dollars flooding the region. You have to be a complete loser NOT to find a decent job here.

WMATA availability by rail and bus in The City and the suburbs.

Washington Capitals hockey.

THE BAD

DC attracts the snobby, hard-to-please Type A people. They make life hell for kind, patient, and less-assertive people.

You are judged by your resume and where you went to college when you go out on dates and try to make new friends.

Restaurants are subpar compared to NYC, SF, Chicago, New Orleans, LA and even Philly.

Too many chain restaurants and retail shops.

The cost of using public transportation is getting ridiculous.

Gentrification. White people conquer Black and Hispanic people. Money uber alles. DC loses culture and soul as the town evolves into White Wonkotopia.

Do a Google search about weather patterns on the Planet Venus and that describes June-August weather in DC. Pure Swampy Hell on Earth.

Washington Redskins football.

THE UGLY

The extreme wealth inequality between the rich and poor; white and black in The District. Wards 3 and 8 are on completely different planets.

Hatred towards DC school teachers, government workers and Ward 7 and 8 residents: otherwise known as white racism against black people.

The cost of real estate can break household budgets. Buyers and renters are paying waaaaaaaay too much for property in this city.

Washington Nationals baseball.

There you go, blaming whitey again. And don't lump Hispanic people in with this. Hispanics by and large come here to work. Not raise generations of families believing that the gov. should give them hand outs and that the white man is always out to get them.

In fact, I see far more racism form blacks against whites/Hispanics than the other way around. Maybe if black communities would learn to take responsiblity for their own neighborhoods and look out for one another, then maybe more white families will want to move in. But keeping a community in shambles filled with crack houses, liquor stores, thugs hanging on the porch is not "keeping it real" it's keeping you back while the rest of DC moves ahead.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Bipolar is the attitude and style

-you can have amazing technology companies and highly educated population
-then have dysfunctional government and services

-you can have wealthy population of all colors and then have extreme poverty

-you can have one of the best mass transit systems in the world and then total road gridlock

-you can have world class university system and a broken primary/secondary public school system
This is definitely the city of contradictions! Here are some others:

-You have a constant stream of people, especially young ones, moving here, but meeting people is way harder than in most other same size cities.
-You have people who constantly say "it's easy to meet people," but people are only socially open if you already know someone in the "DC circle".
-You have people who rant and rave about how liberal and intelligent they are, yet these same people have very ignorant views when dealing with race.
-You have what a lot of people call a "popular black mecca" but most blacks here are bitter and ghetto with nearly no intraracial "we as one" cohesion.
-You have people who diss on the "more Republican" suburb, but that side of the DC area is the least racist and most "live and let live" part of the area.
-You have some of the uneducated and fugliest looking people with the biggest egos and power trips, all while "joaning" on the more normal people!
-You have those who brag about "the middle class is back in DC!" but all I see moving in the city are yuppie snobs whose parents pay for everything.

All of the "good things" that Washington has can be experienced in a weekend (or even a one day) tour of the city.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM

32,110 posts, read 34,732,040 times
I agree with the stuff people said about it being uptight, pretentious and what not. I don't think the city has a much of a distinct personality or attitude, though. DC is kinda generic and most people just stop through for a few years to build up their resumes. In my opinion, it has the least personality of all the cities on the Coast, including Baltimore.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree with the stuff people said about it being uptight, pretentious and what not. I don't think the city has a much of a distinct personality or attitude, though. DC is kinda generic and most people just stop through for a few years to build up their resumes. In my opinion, it has the least personality of all the cities on the Coast, including Baltimore.
I agree. When I think of NYC or LA or San Francisco or hell even Seattle I think of a culture for each place. It's not always easy to define, but it's there. You can just sorta feel it.

DC is (pardon me for using this next word) discombobulated. You've got laid-back attitudes, welfare-leech attitudes, type-A-i'll-kill-you-for-that-promotion attitudes, a few granola-types in Takoma Park... it basically can't identify itself. Too southern for New Englanders and too northern for someone from the dirty dirty South. More cosmopolitan than most cities yet still sleepier than NYC or LA.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I wish most people just passed through DC for a few years and then moved on. It is the fastest growing major metro area on the east coast which has caused one of the worst traffic problems in the nation for the very reason that people stay on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: